GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Power steering fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 06:27 PM
squeege
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering fluid change

Folks,

I was doing some research at the dealership when asked if I wanted the differential, transmission and power steering fluids changed. I asked him if those were Lexus or Park Place recommendations of changing. The service advisor didn't know what the indications were for, or perhaps he gets a majority of "yeah, sure if that's what it needs". So I got the maintenance manual out of the GX and found the differential and transmission fluids should be changed this time (30,000 miles) *if used in harsh conditions or towing*. What I cannot find, is reference to when/if the power steering fluid needs changing. So, no to all, and particularly the power steering fluid until I could ask if anyone here knows.

Appreciate everyone's help. Louise
Old 10-20-06, 04:48 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by squeege
Folks,

I was doing some research at the dealership when asked if I wanted the differential, transmission and power steering fluids changed. I asked him if those were Lexus or Park Place recommendations of changing. The service advisor didn't know what the indications were for, or perhaps he gets a majority of "yeah, sure if that's what it needs". So I got the maintenance manual out of the GX and found the differential and transmission fluids should be changed this time (30,000 miles) *if used in harsh conditions or towing*. What I cannot find, is reference to when/if the power steering fluid needs changing. So, no to all, and particularly the power steering fluid until I could ask if anyone here knows.

Appreciate everyone's help. Louise
Hi squeege, welcome to CL...

I've never changed the power steering fluid in any of my past rides. I've just always made sure the resevoir was full by adding here and there. Never had any problems.

CV
Old 10-20-06, 07:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Isn’t the differential and transmission fluid synthetic?
Old 10-22-06, 02:18 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY opinion about power steering fluid is that it SHOULD be changed at least once every 60,000 miles or sooner. This is often the most overlooked fluid on the car with the exception of the brake fluid. In fact, the brake fluid gets more attention than the power steering, because it is at looked at and serviced when brakes are being done....hopefully!

Power steering fluid deteriorates just like any other fluid. The fluid is in a closed system, meaning that it is not subject to byproducts of combustion or outside dirt or corrosion, (unless the reservoir is left uncovered), but it repeatedly passes by rubber seals in the pump and the rack and pinion units, picking up dirt and suspending it in the fluid. The fluid also gets very hot because it is in close proximity to other hot components.

Many people never change the P/S fluids and they have no problems. But many times, it is because they never keep the cars long enough to see what this causes in later years. Old contaminated fluid helps wear out the seals, and in my opinion is responsible for leaking power steering pumps and rack and pinion units.

Buying a used car with old worn out fluid should be a tip-off that it has never been changed. I'd change it right away if I decided to buy the car, as most steering components are changed by second or subsequent owners.

I make it a habit to change this fluid in all my cars every two years. I especially love using AMSOIL UNIVERSAL SYNTHETIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. I purchased my 99 GS400 in June 2004 with 60,000 miles on the odometer. I changed the fluid within the first week of ownership. The car had meticulous care at the Lexus dealership since new, but NEVER had the power steering fluid changed. I verified it with the Lexus dealeship, since they had the entire service history record. The condition of the fluid was bad. It was cloudy, dark and thick from 5 summers usage in Arizona.

Within days of purchase, I promptly drained the reservoir and rack and pinion system, and flushed it out 3 times before finally servicing it for good. Lexus recommends Dexron in the power steering system, and the AMSOIL fluid fit the bill perfectly. Now at 127,000 miles, the fluid is still clear, but I'll flush it again before Christmas this year, as it has 67,000 miles on it. It definitely doesn't look like it needs it...a testament to the superiority of the synthetic fluid, which looks better than the conventional Dexron that came with the car.

I have 4 cars, and I've changed power steering fluids in all my cars every two years. One of these cars is a 1997 Ford Explorer. We have had it 9 years, and we have had NO leakage problems anywhere in the system, nor have we had to change a power steering pump or rack and pinion.

Older Toyotas, and Lexus vehicles have power steering components that are prohibitively expensive if they need to be changed. In fact, some pumps leak and cause damage to other components..(notably the alternator on the older 1UZFE V8's on the LS's and the pumps on the V6 engine in Camry's and ES250/300's.) The pump is directly above the alternator on the LS/GS, and the fluid drips down and shorts out expensive electrical devices.

Be warned that once a rack and pinion starts to leak, the only repair is the replacement of the component. Most times the fluid will be gritty to the touch, which wore out the seals and caused the leak. Why Toyota does not have a fluid change interval is beyond me.

Regular Dexron breaks down, and it is not uncommon to see dirt and rubber pieces coming out when the fluid is drained. ALSO, the rack and pinion has a small screen on the inlet side of unit. As it gets clogged, the steering operation will become erratic and notchy as it starves for fluid. Once a rack is changed, it is imperative that the pump be flushed, or the old fluid will contaminate the new unit rather quickly. If the screen on the rack is even partially clogged, the power steering operation will be less than optimal even if a new pump is installed.

Bottom line of this very long response is if you change the fluid regularly, you should have good service and long life out of your pump and other steering components..including hoses. I recommend AMSOIL or MOBIL 1 synthetic fluid for nearly all units requiring DEXRON or TYPE "F". Hondas are the notable exception. NOTHING works in a HONDA steering unit except HONDA FLUID.

Last edited by gserep1; 10-22-06 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-22-06, 06:05 PM
squeege
Driver

Thanks for the above.

Thank you GSEREP1 for your detailed response. I can now look up a few more things and make an educated decision.

Louise
Old 10-25-06, 01:48 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gserep1
[snip]I make it a habit to change this fluid in all my cars every two years. I especially love using AMSOIL UNIVERSAL SYNTHETIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. I purchased my 99 GS400 in June 2004 with 60,000 miles on the odometer. I changed the fluid within the first week of ownership. The car had meticulous care at the Lexus dealership since new, but NEVER had the power steering fluid changed. I verified it with the Lexus dealeship, since they had the entire service history record. The condition of the fluid was bad. It was cloudy, dark and thick from 5 summers usage in Arizona.
[snip]
I found the exact same thing w/ my 03 LX...power steering fluid was dark and burnt smelling after 3 yrs of use in AZ. I sucked out the fluid out of the resevoir only to find the fluid had stained the plastic with a residue. After refilling, cycling the steering, removing fluid from the resevoir again (6 times), etc., the fluid stays red, but even new fluid quickly imparts a slightly burned smell, my guess from the residue. I'm thinking about replacing the resevoir, as I had a similar problem w/ a brake master cylinder resevoir in my old toyota that had a sludge residue at the bottom and would quickly taint any new fluid. BTW, I'm using Redline ATF w/ dextron II. No leaks, steering works flawlessly and has even w/ the old original fluid.

BTW, how did you "flush" your PS fluid?
Old 08-14-07, 03:27 PM
sphera
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like warm, dusty, and dry climates like AZ and southern CA are good justifications to replace the PS fluid regularly.