GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Changing DTR lights (front) turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-05, 05:20 AM
GXLUV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing DTR lights (front) turn signals

Driver side front turn signal is out... (you know.. the yellow daytime running light) Want to replace it myself... anyone have access to instructions? Cant seem to find a post ??

Thanks,
Old 08-26-05, 06:34 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have instructions but it's fairly simple if you have small hands. I think you need to take off some of the shrouding around the top of the headlights - then reach in and unplug the socket from the housing. Remove old bulb - put in new. Note: these bulbs dont last more than a year in most cases. They werent designed to be on all the time.
Old 08-26-05, 08:39 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turn Signals

Originally Posted by 177mph

Note: these bulbs dont last more than a year in most cases. They werent designed to be on all the time.
20 months and 30,000 miles with original bulbs.

~ Cap
Old 08-26-05, 11:22 AM
Kbach
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I just laid on my back under the the front end and reached up to get to the bulbs. It's tight, but you can get it. Take your watch off first!!
Old 04-22-06, 07:47 PM
Capirato
Racer

Default Need Help

Originally Posted by 177mph
I dont have instructions but it's fairly simple if you have small hands. I think you need to take off some of the shrouding around the top of the headlights - then reach in and unplug the socket from the housing. Remove old bulb - put in new. Note: these bulbs dont last more than a year in most cases. They werent designed to be on all the time.
I was able to remove the harness connection from the back of the bulb housing. But, can't seem to figure how to remove the bulb housing. I try twisting one way then the other, but don't want to break anything. Is there a clip to push or lift before the housing comes out ??

Any help will be Greatly appreciated.

~ Cap
Old 04-23-06, 12:25 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

I've had to change mine out a couple times. I've never removed the wiring harness, just turned the holder and it comes out. I usually lay under the front end and can get both arms up once the holder is free to replace the bulb. Make sure you're getting the turn signal holder as it's by the other small wedge bulb in front and as easy to mix up.
Old 04-23-06, 12:46 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by Kbach
I've had to change mine out a couple times. I've never removed the wiring harness, just turned the holder and it comes out. I usually lay under the front end and can get both arms up once the holder is free to replace the bulb. Make sure you're getting the turn signal holder as it's by the other small wedge bulb in front and as easy to mix up.
Hi Kbach.....

Thanks for your response

What direction do you turn the holder to remove ??

I've already removed by mistake, the other light bulb (1156) which is next to the "DRL/Turn Signal" light bulb. Can't figure out what the 1156 bulb is for, as I pulled on it thinking it was a wedge bulb and it came apart. The one on the driver's side must be burned out, as it does not come on, no matter what I do.

Cap
Old 04-23-06, 02:46 PM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

you guys should try finding LED bulbs for those front turn signals and then replace your turn signal flasher to allow for the LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com That way you wont have to worry about the DRLs burning out and loosing your turn signals. Just an idea, btw i think this is the first time lexus really messed up in terms of engineering. I always see GX's with one bulb blown out.
I have these bulbs from autoillumination.com that are the "Light Tower II's". They are 1156 bulbs and i made them my parking lights on my LX, their very bright, im putting them in as my turn signals next week and replacing my turn signal flasher to a LED compatible one so it doesnt flash fast.

This is what they look like off
Old 04-23-06, 03:43 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
you guys should try finding LED bulbs for those front turn signals and then replace your turn signal flasher to allow for the LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com That way you wont have to worry about the DRLs burning out and loosing your turn signals. Just an idea, btw i think this is the first time lexus really messed up in terms of engineering. I always see GX's with one bulb blown out.
I have these bulbs from autoillumination.com that are the "Light Tower II's". They are 1156 bulbs and i made them my parking lights on my LX, their very bright, im putting them in as my turn signals next week and replacing my turn signal flasher to a LED compatible one so it doesn't flash fast.
Most folks are under the impression, like you are, that the DRL and the Turn-Signal are the same filament. The bulbs are Dual Filaments, therefore, replacing with a LED bulb would not be feasible due to the wiring.

My problem now, is trying to remove the burnt out bulb without breaking something.

~ Cap
Old 04-23-06, 11:00 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cap,

If I remember correct, the front turn signal is a single filament bulb. It actually turns off to execute the signal (when it bliks) and and turns back on when the driving lights are on. You just have to grasp the receptacle and turn it as you would a screw (Righty tighty - lefty loosey) HTH

MAC
Old 04-24-06, 02:53 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

If the bulbs were dual filament then the DRL would be teh low wattage and you wouldnt have them burning out on you nearly as much but their not. They are a standard single filament that gets "interupted" by the turn signal. The guys at the dealership i go to HATE those stupid GX DRLs.

ALSO they do make 1157 DUAL filament replacements in LED. They run at a lower setting for the 5w side and then for when the brighter filament is activated they flash on to full brightness.
Old 04-24-06, 03:51 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by 1loudLX
If the bulbs were dual filament then the DRL would be teh low wattage and you wouldnt have them burning out on you nearly as much but their not. They are a standard single filament that gets "interupted" by the turn signal. The guys at the dealership i go to HATE those stupid GX DRLs.

ALSO they do make 1157 DUAL filament replacements in LED. They run at a lower setting for the 5w side and then for when the brighter filament is activated they flash on to full brightness.
I believe the manual shows that the bulb is a 4157 NAK

The replacement package shows 4157 NA LL
The bulb in the package shows 4157 NAK

The bulb is a Double Filament.
Appears to be reversible, therefore both filaments must be the same wattage.

~ Cap
Old 04-24-06, 04:39 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

weird, the guys at the dealership must have been wrong when they told me they were 1156's. Are the pins to lock it in offset?

Sorry for being wrong about this topic i thought i was able to lend a hand...guess ill stick to my LX and leave you GX guys alone
Old 04-28-06, 09:44 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Capirato
Hi Kbach.....

Thanks for your response

What direction do you turn the holder to remove ??

I've already removed by mistake, the other light bulb (1156) which is next to the "DRL/Turn Signal" light bulb. Can't figure out what the 1156 bulb is for, as I pulled on it thinking it was a wedge bulb and it came apart. The one on the driver's side must be burned out, as it does not come on, no matter what I do.

Cap
Cap,

Did you remove the DRL bulb? I am having the same issue, can't figure out how to unplug the socket.

Thanks,
CJ
Old 04-30-06, 04:47 PM
Kbach
Pole Position

Okay let me tell you the facts....the turn signal/DRL bulb is one in the same and is a plain old 1156 amber bulb. I know the manual and other bulb sites say it's different, but believe me, I've changed them 3 times already. All I do is lay down in front, reach up to the bulb socket and turn left to remove. Make sure you reach around the wires on the back of the socket to turn. There are 2 flats where the socket goes into the housing for your fingers to push on. Once removed, I reach up with my other hand to hold the socket while installing the bulb. I'll be swapping to LED once I figure which I lke best. I changed them out once to go to a clear bulb, but figured that was illegal to turn signals.