GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Low Windshiled Washer Nozzle Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 10:06 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Low Windshiled Washer Nozzle Pressure

This is obviously not a problem that would be specific to a GX, but figured might as well start here.

When I bought my GX, the passenger side washer nozzle wasn't working.

It looked to me like the hose was too short and pinched, but the service guy said instead that the actual nozzle itself needed to be replaced. Upon it being replaced, both nozzles worked fine for a short time and then suddenly, oddly the pressure from the nozzles dropped.

The washer fluid light never went off, and I made sure the reservoir was full. But pressure is still low.

what the heck is going on?
Old 03-21-17, 07:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Might have dirt in the pick up from the water tank. Try to gain access to the hose in an area you can reach and blow pressure into the tank that might clear your issue there also [ I don't know for sure ] might be a filter on the end of the tank hose that plugs in to the bottom of the pick up not sure . But id you can trace the hose back to the tank you mighty be able to clear it with air \pressure
Old 03-22-17, 01:14 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrblister
Might have dirt in the pick up from the water tank. Try to gain access to the hose in an area you can reach and blow pressure into the tank that might clear your issue there also [ I don't know for sure ] might be a filter on the end of the tank hose that plugs in to the bottom of the pick up not sure . But id you can trace the hose back to the tank you mighty be able to clear it with air \pressure
I'll definitely try that out.

Interestingly, the rear windshield washer nozzle seems to be operating with the proper pressure.
Old 03-22-17, 01:20 PM
khoality
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

May I ask if the front nozzles should be spraying a mist or a stream? thanks, sorry to thread jack.
Old 03-23-17, 04:43 AM
jonesmw10
Rookie

If the rear is fine but front is low pressure, I would probably start looking for cracks/breaks in the lines. Do you see any puddles after using the sprayers?
Old 03-23-17, 06:49 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 728 Likes on 596 Posts

Get a friend to operate the front washer while you listen (with the engine off!) to the pump and see what it sounds like.

Chip H.
Old 03-23-17, 09:13 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonesmw10
If the rear is fine but front is low pressure, I would probably start looking for cracks/breaks in the lines. Do you see any puddles after using the sprayers?
Originally Posted by chiph9
Get a friend to operate the front washer while you listen (with the engine off!) to the pump and see what it sounds like.

Chip H.
ill give it a listen and keep an eye out for leaks.

thanks!
Old 04-07-17, 04:06 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Originally Posted by jonesmw10
sorry, it took me a while to actually remember to check this out... yes, there seems to be a leak as there is a large puddle and washer fluid visibly dripping from the skid plate while there is very little actually spraying on the windshield.

now what? Can I fix this myself with little drama? Or is this a shop thing?
Old 04-08-17, 07:59 AM
anyoldiron
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstrsltr
sorry, it took me a while to actually remember to check this out... yes, there seems to be a leak as there is a large puddle and washer fluid visibly dripping from the skid plate while there is very little actually spraying on the windshield.

now what? Can I fix this myself with little drama? Or is this a shop thing?

You may need to investigate a little further, perhaps pull the skid plate and have a look when someone is using the washer......................report back