ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

High pressure p/s hose

Old 07-18-10, 08:15 PM
nicks88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pressure p/s hose

Ok, so I am new to the forums, and I just purchased my first Lexus ever. I have driven Toyotas my entire life but moved on up and purchased a 96 ES300 a month ago. Well, I have a leaking High pressure p/s hose that has all but burst and is leaking about half of my reservoir a day on a hot day. I am sure this has been asked in the past but does anyone have a breakdown on the easiest way to replace this wonderful hose?? I appreciate all of you and I hope you are as friendly as the Supraforum people when it comes to helping fellow owners. Thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 07-18-10, 09:41 PM
Driver

I have the same problem. I just removed the intake manifold to take a look at my spark plugs and still couldn't see where the pressure hose was. I don't even know if that's actually my problem either.

Help us.
Old 08-07-10, 08:56 AM
nicks88
Pole Position

I got the hose off, just need $515 for the part from Lexus... what a joke.. You dont need to take the manifold off... just have to do some creative twisting and turning.
Old 08-07-10, 12:55 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Look in the local yellow pages, there are shops that speciallize in repairing hydraullic hoses. If the metallic hose ends are in good shape, all they need to do is cut the crimps off and replace the rubber hoses and crimps. You can save major scratch this way.
Old 08-07-10, 06:01 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

They sell some power steering high pressure hose on rockauto.com. Worth a try to see if it's the exact ones you need.
Old 08-12-10, 07:25 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by nicks88
I got the hose off, just need $515 for the part from Lexus... what a joke.. You dont need to take the manifold off... just have to do some creative twisting and turning.
Yeah, they're pretty expensive. Had a customer (body shop) that took it to a place that specializes in hydraulic hoses and charged him $48 to replace the rubber part of the hose.
Old 08-12-10, 09:21 AM
brandoe91
Driver

It might be cheaper, If you call toyota and ask them.The part should be the same from 94-96 v6 camry. if not go to your local junk yard and try finding a hose thats in good condition.It shouldn't pass a $100. www.rockauto.com can also be a cheaper solution.

Originally Posted by nicks88
Old 09-09-10, 11:48 AM
nicks88
Pole Position

just an update... I had the guys down at driftmotion make me a custom high pressure hose for $90 out the door. If you have your old hose, they will need you to send it to them, so they can use the fittings for the banjo and the power steering pump for the new hose. Love it. Install this weekend so I will let you know how it goes. Pics are of the old hose I took out, and the new custom hose that was made.
Attached Thumbnails High pressure p/s hose-damn-hose.jpg   High pressure p/s hose-new-hose.jpg  
Old 09-10-10, 12:52 AM
lexluva
Rookie

I just had that hose replaced on my 1997 es300 because it was leaking. the leak has stopped since it has been replaced, but now it makes the groaning noise it usually makes when it was leaking and low on power steering oil. The power steering oil reservoir has enough oil. what could the problem be? bad hose or was it installation problem? the hose I got it from rockauto.com. It was installed by a mechanic not myself. Thank you.
Old 09-10-10, 09:11 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Possible that there is still air in the system. With the engine running, have someone turn the wheel lock to lock, while watching the reservoir for bubbles.
Old 09-11-10, 04:57 PM
lexluva
Rookie

N
Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
Possible that there is still air in the system. With the engine running, have someone turn the wheel lock to lock, while watching the reservoir for bubbles.
Where is the wheel lock located? Do I need tools to turn it to lock? Also can I do it my self while the engine is running? Sorry I don't know much when it comes to what's under the hood.
Old 09-11-10, 05:03 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Wheel lock is the end of travel, Basically you are slowly turning the wheel from right to left. Stoping when the wheel comes to the hard stop. You can do it yourself, but it helps if you can see the bubbles in the reservoir. It takes awhile to get all the air out of the system.
Does it appear to be improving on it's own? It should with normal driving.
Old 09-12-10, 12:28 AM
lexluva
Rookie

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
Wheel lock is the end of travel, Basically you are slowly turning the wheel from right to left. Stoping when the wheel comes to the hard stop. You can do it yourself, but it helps if you can see the bubbles in the reservoir. It takes awhile to get all the air out of the system.
Does it appear to be improving on it's own? It should with normal driving.
Doesn't the steering wheel lock only when the engine is off, I believe when the engine is running turning left and right will not lock it. But I was thinking the same thing that it would improve with time but it hasn't. I have it installed for a month and I drive it everyday. There are definitely no leaks and there is plenty of oil in the reservoir. Any other way to get the air out or any other suggestions what the problem could be? Thanks.
Old 09-12-10, 10:33 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

You have to go from right stop, to left stop in order to get all the air out. Having a second person to assist you will allow you to see how many bubbles are still there. I assume that you have checked the belt for correct tightness.
Old 10-03-10, 05:12 PM
lexluva
Rookie

I had the chance to take it back to the mechanic. There are no bubbles. The mechanic said that its the steering wheel pump and it needs to be replaced.

My question is when the high pressure was leaking the noise was only there when the oil was low and went away after I refilled. Now I don't have the leak but the noise is there. How is that possible?

I also looked at rock auto and saw that there are multiple steering wheel pumps. Any recommendations? They also say without resvouir, what is that mean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High pressure p/s hose