GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Lift (Icon/Radflo) Handling

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 02:30 PM
TheeAntic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX470 Lift (Icon/Radflo) Handling

I've been bouncing back and forth lately between the GX470 and GX460, but have officially settled on the GX470. It makes the most sense for me right now. That being said, I have just about accepted that I will not be able to find a clean model with KDSS so I am looking at different options.

One of those options is a moderate (1.5-2") lift using ICON or Radflo shocks. The goal would be to increase on-road handling and decrease body roll while making room for some meatier rubber. Is this doable using different spring rates and valving?

I'm used to driving around in track cars so harshness is no worry..within reason.

Thanks! - Brian
Old 08-17-16, 02:50 PM
SonicMotor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's definitely possible.

ICON or RADFLO are both very nice companies.

Most of the time, these kind of OEM replacement bolt in shocks are stiffened up to help with off road stability, which in turn helps with on road. They're usually a bit firmer then a factory set up.

I sell both ICON and RADFLO here at the shop ( I do a lot of 4x4 / prerunner stuff ), so feel free to shoot me a PM if you're looking for some shocks and I'll price you out on some different options.

Zach
Old 08-17-16, 04:04 PM
dankunz
Driver School Candidate

I have icons. Great ride. Better than stock. Get the adjustable valve system and you will get it all
Old 08-17-16, 08:44 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My setup with Bilstiens, Toytec is nicer riding then stock. Again. Not sporty. Off road is meant to flex. You don't want to stiff. At least not for the stuff we have here in colorado.
Old 08-18-16, 01:56 AM
TheeAntic
Driver School Candidate

"Sporty" will never be a word I use to describe any body on frame SUV.

That being said, would an aftermarket suspension setup like you guys have be comparable to say a stock KDSS GX? That's my end state goal, if it winds up handling even better then no complaints here.

So far it sounds like its doable. Adjustable 2.5" radflo/icon shocks and maybe some poly sway bar bushings. I am not going to be doing any crazy off roading that will require large amounts of flex.
Old 11-09-16, 01:42 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheeAntic
"Sporty" will never be a word I use to describe any body on frame SUV.

That being said, would an aftermarket suspension setup like you guys have be comparable to say a stock KDSS GX? That's my end state goal, if it winds up handling even better then no complaints here.

So far it sounds like its doable. Adjustable 2.5" radflo/icon shocks and maybe some poly sway bar bushings. I am not going to be doing any crazy off roading that will require large amounts of flex.
Wanted to see where you landed on this whole thing, because I'm now in the same situation while shopping for used GX. Clean Sport Packages are really hard to find, and command a premium, so if I can save money by finding a non-KDSS truck and spend that extra money on a suspension upgrade that improves on-road handling as much as KDSS does, I'll be happy.

So any luck with this?
Old 11-13-16, 09:45 AM
JazzforG
Driver School Candidate

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and have been reading about all of your GX lifts. They are really inspiring, so thank you all for sharing. Notwithstanding all my searching, I can't quite figure out the best lift for my '04 GX (116,000 miles; no KDSS), and this string seems an appropriate spot to ask some questions that will hopefully also help TheeAntic and anyone else struggling through this decision.

I am not a serious off-roader. But, I use the truck to access hidden Nor Cal fishing holes, and we do a lot of camping. The truck is also our everyday driver. No rock-crawling and no baja-type racing. I was on a trail last month near Mt. Shasta, and the rear shocks are done. Bottoming out and the truck is sitting super low in the rear. So, I need to make a decision quickly, because the truck is not safe -- rear is bouncing around like a jackrabbit.

I want to do a 3" lift, fit 285-70-17 tires, and use the stock wheels. Here are my questions:

(1) lots of posts on Radflo and Icon, but I can't find anything on Toytec's Boss Performance (upgrade of the normal Boss) lift kit. Which of these three offers the best *street* ride? The truck is the everyday vehicle for the wife and 2 little ones.

(2) To make the 285s fit, do I need wheel spacers on the factory wheels (25mm offset)? Or will the tires fit? I don't want to trim if I can help it. If trimming would be needed, then I'd rather opt for new wheels with less offset. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, so if this isn't helpful to TheeAntic, I'll repost under a new thread.

Best,
Joe
Old 11-14-16, 12:31 PM
mstrsltr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JazzforG
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and have been reading about all of your GX lifts. They are really inspiring, so thank you all for sharing. Notwithstanding all my searching, I can't quite figure out the best lift for my '04 GX (116,000 miles; no KDSS), and this string seems an appropriate spot to ask some questions that will hopefully also help TheeAntic and anyone else struggling through this decision.

I am not a serious off-roader. But, I use the truck to access hidden Nor Cal fishing holes, and we do a lot of camping. The truck is also our everyday driver. No rock-crawling and no baja-type racing. I was on a trail last month near Mt. Shasta, and the rear shocks are done. Bottoming out and the truck is sitting super low in the rear. So, I need to make a decision quickly, because the truck is not safe -- rear is bouncing around like a jackrabbit.

I want to do a 3" lift, fit 285-70-17 tires, and use the stock wheels. Here are my questions:

(1) lots of posts on Radflo and Icon, but I can't find anything on Toytec's Boss Performance (upgrade of the normal Boss) lift kit. Which of these three offers the best *street* ride? The truck is the everyday vehicle for the wife and 2 little ones.

(2) To make the 285s fit, do I need wheel spacers on the factory wheels (25mm offset)? Or will the tires fit? I don't want to trim if I can help it. If trimming would be needed, then I'd rather opt for new wheels with less offset. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, so if this isn't helpful to TheeAntic, I'll repost under a new thread.

Best,
Joe
Hi Joe!

Not to be a d**k, but yes, you are kind of hijacking.

There are a million "how can I lift" threads... google search my friend!
Old 11-14-16, 07:10 PM
JazzforG
Driver School Candidate

Haha, not being a d**k at all. I've read all million of those threads and couldn't be more confused. (easily explainable, I'm duller than most.) But, I will continue my saga elsewhere. TheeAntic, good luck to you. Please post it if you figure out a solution, since it sounds like we have a similar decision to make.
Old 01-15-18, 10:51 AM
GXONE
Driver School Candidate

Very interested in this thread as a new GX470 owner.

Anyone with updates?
Old 01-15-18, 01:49 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by GXONE
Very interested in this thread as a new GX470 owner.

Anyone with updates?
Not that I want to drive traffic away from here, but there's a LOT more guys running these kinds of setups on the GXOR Facebook group, check it out.
The following users liked this post:
GXONE (01-15-18)