GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Interior LED Bulb Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 05:11 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior LED Bulb Replacement

So I ordered a kit from Amazon to replace my interior lights with LEDs. Trying to do them now and cannot figure out how to replace the door courtesy lights. I don't want to pry too hard and break anything and I can't find anything online on how to replace them (not Google not Youtube). How do I replace those?

On a side note, the kit I got is questionable so far. The LEDs they provided to replace the map lights don't fit--they're too big.

They provide 3 LEDs to replace the dome lights (2nd/3rd row) and 2 out of the 3 don't work.

I just want to get the rest installed so I know if any others don't work so I can have them replaced.

Kit was only like $18 so I didn't expect much but was hoping it would work out.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-15, 11:05 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Still can't find anything on this. How the heck do you change these bulbs? I can pry part of it out and it looks like it should pop off like the other lights but it won't budge any farther and I don't want to break anything.

HELP!!!
Old 11-28-15, 12:11 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
Still can't find anything on this. How the heck do you change these bulbs? I can pry part of it out and it looks like it should pop off like the other lights but it won't budge any farther and I don't want to break anything.

HELP!!!
When I did my door panels to LED's I removed the door panels. Is that what you're having trouble with?
Old 11-28-15, 01:52 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
When I did my door panels to LED's I removed the door panels. Is that what you're having trouble with?
No, was trying to figure out how to just replace the bulbs. I pried harder and was able to get it done.

You can get the covers off with a bit of work. The top comes open easily with either a small screwdriver or (better) a plastic pry tool.

Once the top part is open, you have to work around the edges to the bottom to release the two pressure fittings for the cover on the bottom. You have to pry pretty hard--I was worried I was going to break the cover--but it will come off.

To remove the bulb--if you have big fingers like me--just take a small piece of tape and put it on both sides of the light and use that to gain some grip on the bulb. Work it back and forth and it comes out.

My only problem is, for the first two doors, I pried the whole light assembly out. Got the first back in perfectly, however, the 2nd one doesn't fit properly back in (too small). I'm wondering if a piece fell off inside the door upon removal. Nothing looks broken. Gotta figure that one out.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-15, 02:57 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
No, was trying to figure out how to just replace the bulbs. I pried harder and was able to get it done.

You can get the covers off with a bit of work. The top comes open easily with either a small screwdriver or (better) a plastic pry tool.

Once the top part is open, you have to work around the edges to the bottom to release the two pressure fittings for the cover on the bottom. You have to pry pretty hard--I was worried I was going to break the cover--but it will come off.

To remove the bulb--if you have big fingers like me--just take a small piece of tape and put it on both sides of the light and use that to gain some grip on the bulb. Work it back and forth and it comes out.

My only problem is, for the first two doors, I pried the whole light assembly out. Got the first back in perfectly, however, the 2nd one doesn't fit properly back in (too small). I'm wondering if a piece fell off inside the door upon removal. Nothing looks broken. Gotta figure that one out.

Thanks.
I believe there's clips on them to secure them in place. Now that you mention it, I had to re-remove one of my door panels to retrieve the clip. Sorry I'm not more help, I did mine quite some time ago.