GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

grinding type noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 05:34 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default grinding type noise

OK...not sure how to describe this but I have a grinding type noise coming from underneath. Not there all the time..heard it last night while driving home....pulled over and waited for a while looked underneath could not see anything. Started off again heard it momentarily then it stopped....but I am thinking that this could be axle/wheel related/ball joint?. No engine issue coming from the chassis underneath, possible bearing???

Any thoughts out there....also i have a 2003 Gx with 245K on it....but overall runs great!

Thanks!!

Last edited by GRAYM; 11-10-15 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-10-15, 01:54 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

Next time you hear it, put the transmission in neutral and coast a little ways. You should be able to hear the sound change if it's engine related (as engine goes to idle), or not change if it's drive-line related (since the vehicle speed would remain the same).

Chip H.
Old 11-10-15, 02:49 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

is it coming when you push down the pedal quickly? does your transfer case leak some, oil spots under hte middle of the car? could be the transfer case going bad from getting low on oil, happened to mine but only happens if you ignore the leak for a long time.
Old 11-11-15, 03:26 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
is it coming when you push down the pedal quickly? does your transfer case leak some, oil spots under hte middle of the car? could be the transfer case going bad from getting low on oil, happened to mine but only happens if you ignore the leak for a long time.
no it's not a leaking transfer case, actually had that replaced a few years ago. acceleration does not cause the noise. kinda why i am thinking it's related to the axle/bearings/ball joint.
Old 11-12-15, 11:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah you will have to track it down then, I know of one failure point for Gx's with higher mileage.

the front differential has 2 mount "ears", and the one that goes to the passenger side of the car is rather long and a thin looking metal piece. Its a known problem that they crack on the GX over time (just a matter of time) and when it flexes some from random moving driving they scrape against each other and that = noise that could be described as a grinding noise.

I know my GX had it replaced its listed on the dealer repair sheets with all the regular maintanance. its called front differential support or something like that. I always pop my head under a GX and see if its still in one piece, they make an updated stronger version for it and I think offroad places have a beefier one than that also.
I didn't have the car when it failed so can't describe the noise, but I know that most higher mileage GX's have usually replaced that part once or twice.

only other common thing that can cause a noise on these is the exhaust heatshield noise when it gets loose.

wheel bearings are always a possibility and easy to lift the wheel and spin them and see if there is any play, but more likely on these cars the CV joints on the front axles go and start to grind especially if the wheel is turned some. when the boot leaks out the grease then they start to go bad and then they just grind all the time eventually. take a look under the front at the front axles, there should be a boot on it close to the tire side, and a boot close to the front differential side, both are packed with grease and have clamps over the ends. if the clamp is missing or loose and you see signs of wet grease thats been flung around then you have likely found the issue, once the CV joints dry out they start to grind in turns and then more often.
Old 11-13-15, 05:04 AM
GRAYM
Driver

well here's the diagnosis....took it to Toyota since we use them now and then. The boots on the front are completely gone...never saw anything leak so they must have been rotted and dried out for some time now....so they are being replace all around...secondly the left front wheel bearing is going bad so that will be corrected, and I am putting in a new battery since we are headed in to winter and it is already over 10 years old. It never did the voice again even for the technician so this is most likely the issue.

also they really bashed me for replacing the rear with a spring conversion kit...saying how bad it drives now etc......well as a matter of fact it rides the same as it did from brand new and there are no issues with it, also at least now it will last and I will not have to worry about a $4K repair job. Really, I told them that with 245K on it and only worth anything to me, certainly nothing as a trade in, that to put $4K in the back end at this time would be crazy. I only need to get 3 more years out of this vehicle while the kids are in college!!!