GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

"Rumble strip" sensation

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 09:55 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts
Default "Rumble strip" sensation

Noticed this for the 1st time last week, initially wondered if I had a separated tread on a tire or something. Did some more testing, and some googling, and came across a thread on T4R.org where lots of owners with our drivetrain, as well as the V6 version were having the same issues:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...ion-issue.html

Here's what's happening, which wasn't obvious until I found the thread and paid attention to confirm the conditions were the same in my case. Moderate acceleration around the 80km/h/50mph point where the trans shift to 5th, there's a sensation in the truck like you're riding on a rumble strip on the side of the road, a vibration you can feel through the pedals moreso than the steering wheel though. My wife claims to have experienced it at lower speeds, presumably at the 3-4 shift point, but I've been unable to replicate this so far.

The consensus seems to be it's an issue with the torque convertor, as it locks up only in 4th and 5th gears so you won't see it in the lower gears. I did a series of 3 drain & fills on the transmission last year, using Toyota WS fluid, so I can't see how further drain & fills would have any effect for me. Some have used a product called "shudder fix" with success, but I'm hesitant to put stuff like that in there as by all accounts the trans if very sensitive to things like fluid type, and level as it is.

Anyone else have similar issues, or insight?
Old 08-21-15, 05:51 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Noticed this for the 1st time last week, initially wondered if I had a separated tread on a tire or something. Did some more testing, and some googling, and came across a thread on T4R.org where lots of owners with our drivetrain, as well as the V6 version were having the same issues:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...ion-issue.html

Here's what's happening, which wasn't obvious until I found the thread and paid attention to confirm the conditions were the same in my case. Moderate acceleration around the 80km/h/50mph point where the trans shift to 5th, there's a sensation in the truck like you're riding on a rumble strip on the side of the road, a vibration you can feel through the pedals moreso than the steering wheel though. My wife claims to have experienced it at lower speeds, presumably at the 3-4 shift point, but I've been unable to replicate this so far.

The consensus seems to be it's an issue with the torque convertor, as it locks up only in 4th and 5th gears so you won't see it in the lower gears. I did a series of 3 drain & fills on the transmission last year, using Toyota WS fluid, so I can't see how further drain & fills would have any effect for me. Some have used a product called "shudder fix" with success, but I'm hesitant to put stuff like that in there as by all accounts the trans if very sensitive to things like fluid type, and level as it is.

Anyone else have similar issues, or insight?
My truck has done it twice, in the (almost) year I've owned it. It was the first few weeks of driving it, and I thought it was just road conditions. It had previously sat for nearly a year in climate controlled storage, so I don't know if that played a part. It hasn't done it in almost 10 months, and I haven't touched anything. I can't offer any insight, but now that I read your post I know I wasn't dreaming or going crazy.

Since I'm an Infiniti tech, I know the CVT's in our JX35's and QX60's are terrible for shuddering. Last year I was putting new trans' in left and right to fix them per Infiniti, only to have the new one do the same thing. They "seemed" to have worked it out with a software update, maybe there's something similar with Lexus?
Old 08-21-15, 07:14 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Thanks for the input! In my reading on this "shudder fix" product, it's not compatible with CVT trans, so that's not going to be an option for your customers.

I wonder how much Lexus would ding me to hook the truck up and see if there's any updates available for the TCM? Might be worth exploring before putting any additives in the trans.

FWIW, my wife hasn't reported any issues for the last few days, and I don't get the impression this is at all time sensitive to get resolved, in that seems to be mostly annoying with no risk of doing damage from driving with the issue.
Old 08-21-15, 09:42 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the input! In my reading on this "shudder fix" product, it's not compatible with CVT trans, so that's not going to be an option for your customers.

I wonder how much Lexus would ding me to hook the truck up and see if there's any updates available for the TCM? Might be worth exploring before putting any additives in the trans.

FWIW, my wife hasn't reported any issues for the last few days, and I don't get the impression this is at all time sensitive to get resolved, in that seems to be mostly annoying with no risk of doing damage from driving with the issue.
We'd charge 1 hour to see if there was an update that applied, and do the update if there was one.
Old 08-25-15, 11:12 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

We didn't have any "rumble strip" noises for a few days, then had a CV joint fail, so I'm mid-way through replacing both front axles. Hoping the noise doesn't return once I'm back on the road, and it was just a fluke.
Old 10-18-19, 01:01 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Interesting.. Although for me, my CVs/Boots are in tip top shape.
Old 01-06-20, 08:11 PM
Ackattack
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default “New” 05 with same issue...trying flush

Recently purchased an 05 with 150K. Having the same issue, although rarely. Tomorrow, she’s going in for all fluids (oil, diffs, transfer case, tranny). I’ll report back on if this makes a difference in reducing/eliminating the shudder.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ackattack:
Lextazy (01-08-20), Rygar470 (01-08-20)
Old 01-07-20, 06:37 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Long term update: rumble strip sensation hasn't presented in years. I can't remember what I did before it stopped though.

I changed the trans fluid at some point, PROBABLY after this issue came up as I don't see where I mentioned it in my earlier posts.
The following users liked this post:
Lextazy (01-08-20)
Old 01-07-20, 08:51 AM
Ackattack
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Short term update...problem fixed!

After having transmission flushed/serviced this morning (as well as all other fluids...oil, diffs, transfer case), the shudder problem seems to have disappeared. On the way to the shop this morning I experienced it at least a few times, but on the way from the shop I could not get it to do it. So...here’s to it being fixed (knocking on wood now)!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ackattack:
IanB2 (01-07-20), Lextazy (01-08-20)
Old 01-08-20, 06:14 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm having my transmission flushed while typing. I was afraid of doing it as the first time I had the fluid drained and filled was at 165k and the fluid was not that fresh... I've heard that flushing can cause damages. But some people on FB GXOR group, including people working at Lexus dealerships and owning the same vehicle, said that they fixed a lot of GXs that way - by flushing the trans.

Another method I found was to drain and fill about 4 times with 2 weeks in intervals. And people who done the flushing told me that either flush one time or do 4-5 drain and fill. Some people add shudder fix additive, but I don't trust that. In my opinion, the fluid should be just the fluid and nothing else.

Sooo, hopefully, the trans flush will resolve my problem and it will not cause any damages to the tranny.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lextazy:
IanB2 (01-08-20), Rygar470 (01-08-20)
Old 01-08-20, 06:54 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

It's "Power Flushing" with a machine that has it's own high pressure pump that can damage things, drain & fills or using the transmission's own internal pump to move fluid should be very low risk for causing damages. Fresh fluid is always better than old, burnt fluid.
Lextazy (01-08-20)
Old 01-08-20, 09:18 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

It's "Power Flushing" with a machine that has it's own high pressure pump that can damage things, drain & fills or using the transmission's own internal pump to move fluid should be very low risk for causing damages. Fresh fluid is always better than old, burnt fluid.
I didn't know the difference in the way of flushing. Hopefully, dealerships do not use power flushing
Old 01-08-20, 12:29 PM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Done the flushing, not by a machine with cleaners etc.
Still have the shudder, but not as bad as it used to be. Hopefully, it will go completely away after a while. If not, I'll just have to live with it. Tired of trying to fix it.
Thank you all for your help. Will definitely update if the problem is gone completely.
IanB2 (01-08-20)