GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Please Help...Rear towing relay not fitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-14, 09:21 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help...Rear towing relay not fitting

Hi, I am beginning the process of setting up my gx for towing. It is a 2004 with KDSS. I have all the front two relays and wiring harness, but I have run into a problem with the rear towing relay- the relay that goes near the driver side rear tail light. I purchased what I thought was the proper relay part number 81985-60021. The problem is that the realy does not appear to be the proper fit for what I think is the plug that it belongs to. I have supplied a pic of the relay end and the plastic white thing that the plug in the back of the vehcile was plugged into. They are obviously not the same, but there is nothing else in the area that the relay would plug into. Am I missing something here? Is there another part number or has someone figured out a solution for this problem? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Please Help...Rear towing relay not fitting-image.jpg  
Old 09-06-14, 09:22 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Here is a pic of the inside of the rear driver area. There is noting above and below that area. The white thing was plugged into the white plug that is in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Please Help...Rear towing relay not fitting-image.jpg  
Old 09-06-14, 09:33 AM
koda4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might not be looking in the right area. The plug is around 1 foot in front of the rear left side tail light. I also have a 2004 with KDSS and did the tow hitch addition.

koda4
Old 09-06-14, 09:46 AM
Barnesie
Driver

I will take a closer look and see. Thanks. Did you use the same part number for the relay?
Old 09-06-14, 09:57 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Got it...it was just a little deeper. Thanks for you help.
Old 09-06-14, 11:05 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Got it...it was just a little deeper. Thanks for you help.
I have a 2004 non kdss I had same connector you showed but I did not need the relay for my install. I just had the two relays in the front of the engine 2 small black boxes. Relays in there and that activated my towing harness. I did a lot of research when I was doing mine and had the same conundrum . Everyone told me to look in the rear brake light housing All I had was the one connector and relay would not fit. I Just plugged in my trailer to the oem connector under the rear bumper and it worked. The key I think is did your truck come with the tow package . The tow package does not generally include the actual tow hitch. You get a trans cooler coil installed in the front of the radiator you get the pre wired harness and the under bumper connector.
Old 09-07-14, 04:44 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Originally Posted by mrblister
I have a 2004 non kdss I had same connector you showed but I did not need the relay for my install. I just had the two relays in the front of the engine 2 small black boxes. Relays in there and that activated my towing harness. I did a lot of research when I was doing mine and had the same conundrum . Everyone told me to look in the rear brake light housing All I had was the one connector and relay would not fit. I Just plugged in my trailer to the oem connector under the rear bumper and it worked. The key I think is did your truck come with the tow package . The tow package does not generally include the actual tow hitch. You get a trans cooler coil installed in the front of the radiator you get the pre wired harness and the under bumper connector.
Thanks for response. I didn't test the option of not having the rear relay installed... I may pull it for kicks and see if the harness has power. My gx did come with the trans cooler, but no relays up front and no wiring harness. I installed a curt hitch rated at 5000 pounds and it looks very nice. Also did all the spark plugs this weekend and plan to drain the front/rear diff and transfer case next weekend. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 09-07-14, 05:04 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Thanks for response. I didn't test the option of not having the rear relay installed... I may pull it for kicks and see if the harness has power. My gx did come with the trans cooler, but no relays up front and no wiring harness. I installed a curt hitch rated at 5000 pounds and it looks very nice. Also did all the spark plugs this weekend and plan to drain the front/rear diff and transfer case next weekend. Thanks again for the reply.
If it came with trans cooler it should of had the rear connector trailer interface under the bumper. In the engine bay there should be two small black plastic boxs that have provision to plug in the relays you will need . They are located behind the battery compartment and along side .You should not need the rear relay that plugs into behind the brake light assemble. I am not convinced that your truck did have the tow package . If it did it would have the electric harness and connector under the bumper
Old 05-18-16, 05:32 PM
WolFeYeZ
3rd Gear

I am having the same issue as the OP. Everything looks just like his pics and I have dug around in that back driver side for 20 minutes and have not found where to plug in the green relay. Any guidance would be great!
Old 05-18-16, 07:51 PM
Barnesie
Driver

It's really far back there....I will open it up tonight and take a pic. I believe mine was wrapped in some black tape.
Old 05-18-16, 09:41 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Here is a pic of the relay and where it is plugged in. I hope this helps. There is a bundle of wires wrapped in a black tape and the thing you plug the adapter in comes off of this bundle of wires.
Attached Thumbnails Please Help...Rear towing relay not fitting-image.jpeg  
Old 05-18-16, 10:39 PM
WolFeYeZ
3rd Gear

Thank you Barnesie! Unfortunately it was not further back there, but almost 2 feet higher in the panel above it in my GX. WTF, lol. All good now though. Thanks again!