GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Windshield cracked at dealership while servicing & dealership won't fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 02:59 PM
subie2GX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield cracked at dealership while servicing & dealership won't fix

On 27th of April, I went to Lexus of Rockville Centre at Long Island to service my 2007 GX470. The following day around 7:45pm, I went back to pick up the vehicle. Then right before I drove off from the dealership, my wife noticed a big crack on passenger side windshield (see attach image).

Since, the service department is already closed, I have no choice but to leave the car at the dealership. At this point, I was quite positive that dealership will have to take responsibility for the damage because when I left the vehicle, there was no damage on the windshield as they inspected and took pictures. The damage occurred while vehicle at the location.

The next morning, I contacted the service department to resolve the issue; guess what service manager said that it was not their responsibilities and I will have to pay for this myself. I was quite furious, so I contacted to Lexus Corporate to elevate the issue. 3 days went by and result is the same. They quoted me @ $2,100 for parts and $375 to install. That’s freaking $2,475.00. My glass insurance (GEICO) cover only up to $400, and I can’t make any other claim since damage was glass only.

Over the weekend, my wife delivered a second son , and I needed the car right away, because loaner IS is not big enough for the family. So I have to fix the car right away. After looking for parts at sewell and about to order; service manager dropped their original quote to $2,000.00 including parts and labor. I could have saved about another $300 if I order from sewell and install elsewhere but it will take about 5-7 days so I decided to repair at the dealer because they have the parts and I needed the car right away.

Now, I have time to write about this my experience, I want to get your feedback how to get my $2,000 back from dealer. I have plan to report BBB, Consumer affairs and even local news station like FOX11.

Any suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails Windshield cracked at dealership while servicing & dealership won't fix-5-9-2011-5-49-12-pm.jpg  
Old 05-09-11, 03:03 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Court. Your wife is a witness. And the part where you tell the judge you couldn't afford another vehicle to rent and risked the glass busting and harming your newborn (congrats, BTW) is gonna make that dealer look really bad. On their property, I would think its their problem. I'm no lawyer. But you need to escalate this.
Old 05-09-11, 05:29 PM
wokraku
Driver School Candidate

Definitely escalate the issue and stick it to the dealership. Does your photo have time and date on it? That together with your wife as witness will shake the manager should you decide to consider legal action. Good luck and congrats on the new addition to the family. Best!
Old 05-09-11, 06:49 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations on your newest member of the family. Very sorry that the Lexus dealer won't accept responsibility for damaging your GX.
Old 05-09-11, 07:21 PM
Bob GX
Driver

A couple months ago I had my 04 GX at the glass place to get a chip repaired - out of curiosity I asked about the cost for a new windshield and was quoted about $200 which included moving the rain sensor. You could try a non dealer place like that and see what they say. I try to stay 'all original' but at some point (like $2,000 more) I'll have to go aftermarket. Maybe the Lexus OEM glass has some special coatings, or just way overpriced?

As for dealer responsibility - check the small print where you signed when you left the vehicle - does it say the dealer is not liable for that kind of damage? every dealer I go to (Lexus or other) says that (I agree it sucks)
Old 05-09-11, 07:22 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

subie2GX, first of all, congrats on your new born. Second, I feel for you. Unfortunately you are dealing with whole bunch of aholes at that dealer. I know, I dealt with them for over 2 years, after that I wish them farewell by saying "FU!!!". The service department at Massapequa Park is much better, although they share the same owner, so ...

You will get nowhere if you are a nice guy. You have to go there on the weekend, when they are packed with customers and make a scene in the middle of the sales floor, maybe only then you will get anywhere. They don't care about your "veil threats" and I think they have so much negative comments at corporate - I once told the corporate that I would never buy or service another vehicle at that dealer - that they don't care what corporate says. If corporate had decided to pay for the windshield, that's great, it's not coming out of the dealer's pocket, because the corporate has said no, they won't do it. They try all the tricks to get money out of you. EVERY time I took it for service they wanted to change my brakes, wipers, flush the injectors and cooling system, rotate tires, etc. THAT'S EVERY 5,000 miles !!!! They once told me I had to replace my brake rotors because they were rusty (???). That's who you are dealing with. They are dealerships, steelerships and the Lexus of Rockville Centre.

I'm sorry to say, but it's a small claims court route for you, period. The chances are slim that you will be able to recover any money unless you get a lawyer, and it may cost you more for the lawyer than the windshield (or worse, lawyer AND the windshield). One thing for sure, the moment you file a claim, forget about getting any compromise from the dealer.

I know that you would rather spend the time with your baby son and spare yourself the aggravation, so maybe it would be easier just to replace the windshield on your own. Get an after-market windshield, it's cheaper and the glass is better quality than OEM. I went through 3 windshield on my GX and the after-market ones lasted much longer than original or OEM replacement. Search this forum for the make and brand of the recommended replacement manufacturers.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and if I can recommend one thing, change your dealer.

Last edited by gsobol; 05-09-11 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 07:22 PM
subie2GX
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking about contacting the dealer management first, if that doesn't workout I will take them to court. I have photos of when checking in at dealership and the photo of the crack when I went to pick up the car.
I have a feeling that my case stopped at the service manager and contacting the dealer upper management may help me get my money back. I will update later. Again, thanks for the help.
Old 05-09-11, 07:38 PM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a list o people to contact :-)

1. John Staluppi,Sr., President/Owner
2. John Pickett, Manager

BTW, he owns all of these: http://www.nyautogiant.com/locations.asp
and if you want to contact him, you have to travel to Palm Beach Gardens, FL.

Last edited by gsobol; 05-09-11 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-10-11, 10:47 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Make a large sign that states: "Lexus of Rockville Centre broke my window and won't pay to fix it." Stand on the street (not on their property) in the entrance to the dealership and you will be surprised at how fast you get results. It sounds stupid, but it has worked for me in the past.... Bad publicity is a dealerships worst enemy....
Old 05-10-11, 11:36 AM
subie2GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by jugdish
Make a large sign that states: "Lexus of Rockville Centre broke my window and won't pay to fix it." Stand on the street (not on their property) in the entrance to the dealership and you will be surprised at how fast you get results. It sounds stupid, but it has worked for me in the past.... Bad publicity is a dealerships worst enemy....
I like the idea, i might actually do it. I guess i have a new project for this week.
Old 05-10-11, 11:57 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

this is why i keep just a $50.00 deductable on my comprehensive insurance, windshield stuff happens, even if it were the dealers fault, i would just have it replaced and ask them to pay deductable, safelight will be out very quickly, only takes about 1/2 hour right in your driveway to replace glass. Unless something feel on the windshield, which should be obvious, glass will crack spontaniously sometimes without any obvious reason. But, you would think, that the dealership would just step up to the plate and make a customer happy, lots of competition for the repair dollar out there.
Old 05-10-11, 12:03 PM
subie2GX
Rookie

Originally Posted by ALAN553
this is why i keep just a $50.00 deductable on my comprehensive insurance, windshield stuff happens, even if it were the dealers fault, i would just have it replaced and ask them to pay deductable, safelight will be out very quickly, only takes about 1/2 hour right in your driveway to replace glass. Unless something feel on the windshield, which should be obvious, glass will crack spontaniously sometimes without any obvious reason. But, you would think, that the dealership would just step up to the plate and make a customer happy, lots of competition for the repair dollar out there.
I have the glass insurance with GEICO with zero deductible but then safelite will not replace with OEM, max i can get from GEICO is $400. Since this is glass only, so i can't use my $250 deductible comprehensive claim. Either way, dealer should be responsible for the damage. So i am gonna fight to get that $2,000 back from them.
Old 05-10-11, 03:39 PM
GXM35
Driver School Candidate

$2,000 for glass? Why is it so much more than regular glass? We had our windshield replaced at the dealer right before we bought it. Wonder if it's OEM? How do you tell? Does it say Lexus on the glass?
Old 05-10-11, 03:56 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Regarding OEM glass - it is better on a Lexus and you should try to get it. I recently had a windshield replaced by my Lexus dealer's "Penske Rapid Repair" glass service because my insurance would not cover the cost of "manufacturer Logo Glass" I went with their recommendation that is was a good product. It is terrible - The tint is too light and there is more noise in this previously quiet car, enough so that I now have my radio volume two or more numbers higher. This is the first time in maybe 40 years that my insurance company has refused "logo glass" in a car less than 2 years old and I am disappointed in them as well. Luckily the cheap glass which I have only had for a short time is already pitted and I hope will soon get broken.

And in your case I believe the dealer should be paying for the glass.

Dave Mac
Old 05-10-11, 04:29 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jugdish
What a great idea!!! I love it!!!

subie2GX, make sure to take pictures while out there with a sign - that would be epic...

Quick Reply: Windshield cracked at dealership while servicing & dealership won't fix