GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Found a used 2003 and need some feedback / wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 01:30 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Found a used 2003 and need some feedback / wisdom

Hi all

I've been looking for a used GX / LX for a while now. I think I found one that might work. It's a 2003 one owner with 85k miles. Overall condition is ok (a few dings / scrapes) but no major dents or rust.

The issue is that the owner only has proof of the 60k mile service and two oil changes. I believe there is a 30k service (may not have been done).

My read on the owner is he is a nice older gentlemen who knows nothing about cars.

My question to you is the service history for the 1st 80k miles really important or is the car largely bulletproof?

I do know that the timing belt will need to be changed out at 90k miles so I will price that in.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-11, 01:37 PM
eddyprice
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was serviced at a Lexus dealer he should be able to get the records.

If no records you're taking a risk. I'd want to know that it had regular oil changes, someone to look out for issues that inevitably occur.
Old 02-09-11, 03:58 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is he the original owner? if he has two oil changes and a 60K service documented he is taking care of the rig - maybe just not the best bookkeeper (i'm guilty too).

if he is a normal guy, aka not a skeezy ball or idiot that your impression tells you would not take care of the vehicle, i wouldn't be too concerned. there isn't much in the 30K that couldn't be addressed if you buy the vehicle (brake fluid and coolant). plus at 85K you could just go ahead and get the 90K out of the way and know you are up to date on maintenance items.
Old 02-09-11, 04:55 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I feel like if he would have the 60k service, he would be willing to forkover money for oil changes. In most cases, people who aren' really car people are smart enough to change the oil, especially people with more expensive cars since they do whatever dealerships/ mechanics tell them and pay the more expensive price. At least this is what i have experienced
Old 02-09-11, 07:19 PM
Bob GX
Driver

I do most of my oil changes myself or at the local Toyota place so there aren't many records at Lexus so it's hard to go on that. Some suggestions

1) get an oil sample and send it for analysis - it will tell you something about the condition of the internal engine parts (PM me & I can tell youth name of the place I use - you could express ship the sample and have analysis results in just a few days)

2) check the air filters - engine and passenger compartment. They will give a quick visual on whether the car has had the next tier of maintenance beyond oil changes

3) have the local auto parts place check the antifreeze or send an antifreeze sample along with the engine oil - that will help show if there is any internal leakage between the engine & cooling system & if the antifreeze has been changed

4) check the brake pads - 1 wheel on each axle - if those have 'healthy' pad left it would help indicate if the car has been well maintained.

None of these things are a big deal to 'fix' - but taken together they will help give you the picture if that car has been getting maintenance attention through the years or not
Old 02-10-11, 08:50 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by werewolf
Hi all

I've been looking for a used GX / LX for a while now. I think I found one that might work. It's a 2003 one owner with 85k miles. Overall condition is ok (a few dings / scrapes) but no major dents or rust.

The issue is that the owner only has proof of the 60k mile service and two oil changes. I believe there is a 30k service (may not have been done).

My read on the owner is he is a nice older gentlemen who knows nothing about cars.

My question to you is the service history for the 1st 80k miles really important or is the car largely bulletproof?

I do know that the timing belt will need to be changed out at 90k miles so I will price that in.

Thanks in advance!
Don't focus so much on the all encompassing recommended "services," but rather focus on what work was actually performed and where he got it done - if that makes any sense. In other words, there is a lot of fluff in those "recommended" services, things that IMO if missed are not detrimental to the life of the truck/engine. If you get the impression that he has routinely changed the oil and he is able to demonstrate that he addressed the important things during the "60k mi service" (e.g. changed the diff fluids, lube the chassis, change transmission fluid if he has towed with the truck, oil ect) then I would be willing to take a leap of faith.

Ask the seller where he usually got the oil changed and if his answer is "Lexus" then ask him for the VIN# and call the dealer and ask they run a service history (I would recommend doing this anyway). Not that this is 100% assurance he performed the oil change, but the engine maint light comes on every time the truck is due for an oil change and most will either take it to the dealer or local garage to have the oil changed and service light reset. Now could he just be resetting it himself, sure, but unlikely unless the guy comes across as a sleezball. If it passed the sniff test then it's probably fine.

If you were unsuccessful getting much in the way of service history and you buy it, I would recommend changing the cabin filter, engine filter, oil, power steering fluid, and brake fluid. That timing belt is going to run you every bit of $1200+, so keep that in mind. Good luck

Last edited by cssnms; 02-10-11 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-11-11, 06:23 PM
REDTAIL27
Driver School Candidate

I bought a 2003 gx last year with 85k 2 owners and all maintenance records and vehicle was well taken care of i also checked it my self to make sure its a gamble but toyotas are well built trucks.
Old 02-12-11, 12:31 PM
easgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blackstone labs is who I always use for oil samples but I probably wouldn't go that far. If he had the 60k done at lexus I doubt he would skip oil changes. I do all my routine stuff and I could understand no records for basic oil changes etc (me being OCD I keep a log of everything I have done down to the mileage and date.....but most people don't). I would still feel more comfortable trusting the owner than a dealer any day if you get a good vibe.

Good luck
Old 02-12-11, 04:18 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks all!