GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Dome 10A fuse blowing every 5-6 days

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 08:27 PM
wflp1503
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not yet...Frankly not sure how to check the relay...
I did read through all thread above, plus feel youtube videos...
I plan to buy a same relay from ebay ($10-15) then swap it see if it works.
Will post here the result soon
Old 10-12-10, 10:20 PM
wflp1503
Driver School Candidate

Default Relay seems OK...now what???..

I finally got sometime to look at the car again.

I open the fuse box , found there are actually 4-5 same relay as the dome relay (#14, 85965).

I swapped #14 with two or three of those, no help at all.That is, there is no key in the key hole, car is off. I unpluged #14 which is the dome delay, then I put a new dome fuse 10A, it looks fine. Then I plug in the replay (this one or swapped one which supposed to be good anyway), the fuse got fried immediately.

So I am pretty sure it is not the dome relay (#14).

What shall I do next?

Buy a new body ECU?!

Thanks

Originally Posted by mann777
Sorry Dashboard, that's is not true with GX. The power flow are induvidually controlled by the Body ECU
The GX Body ECU functionality is to control the power feed to the Interior Lights. The location of this is at the Junction box of the Driver Side tagged as B3. This Control the lighting aspect of all interior lights. The power source to this system is routed via the 10A Dome Fuse and that inturn is controlled by the Dome Relay ( located in the Engine Room Relay box. Now for example when the Doors of the GX is opened, the Body ECU senses the neccessary activation of the required light & fires up. Now What you have checked relay, If you have checked the relay is fully functional then ok . As I said fuse getting fried, there are two options ( Relay or the Body ECU Signal IC fried). If you have confirmed relay is OK, then it is the Body ECU fried, You cannot do any more troubleshooting. You have to replace the Body ECU. Remove the part and its number and check with dealer availabilty and price. It is very rare this getting blown, but seems this has got shorted with some harness disconnected with its housing or bit unlocked and loose and getting shorted. The job to replace Body ECU is a 5 minute job. One to ensure the Battery (-) disconnected and have the new part inserted. And run thru the entire wire schematics of the Body ECU to the Dome Relay & Fuse and have all the harness connectors locked. Hope this helps.
Here is the attached snippets.
If you observe the fuse is 82600F that is the 10A block fuse. And the Body interior Lamps relays is No 14- 85965. The body ECU is located on the interior side at the Driver Footwell below the steering Column behind the plastic panel. tagged as B3 and is attached along with the Fuse Junction box.
Hope it helps
Old 12-03-10, 09:45 PM
wflp1503
Driver School Candidate

Default Solved!!!!

Since it is getting dark pretty early, it is very inconvineant to let two kids climb into the dark when I pick them up from daycare.

So I brought it to my dealer, who quoted one hour labor to find out where the problem is, at $139/hr .

I say "go ahead" but the guy told me I have to wait for next week.

I then went to back did another search.

I found some fingers point to the visor, so I decide to give a try.

And...it works!

It was the driver side visor. I cut the red wire and so far so good.

The mirror on the back of the visor not working now but I am glad I can the interior light back. Also, odo won't go to O and won't reset each time when I start the engine.

Hope this experience might help someone.

Originally Posted by wflp1503
I finally got sometime to look at the car again.

I open the fuse box , found there are actually 4-5 same relay as the dome relay (#14, 85965).

I swapped #14 with two or three of those, no help at all.That is, there is no key in the key hole, car is off. I unpluged #14 which is the dome delay, then I put a new dome fuse 10A, it looks fine. Then I plug in the replay (this one or swapped one which supposed to be good anyway), the fuse got fried immediately.

So I am pretty sure it is not the dome relay (#14).

What shall I do next?

Buy a new body ECU?!

Thanks
Old 04-22-13, 04:52 PM
magiccat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wflp1503
Since it is getting dark pretty early, it is very inconvineant to let two kids climb into the dark when I pick them up from daycare.

So I brought it to my dealer, who quoted one hour labor to find out where the problem is, at $139/hr .

I say "go ahead" but the guy told me I have to wait for next week.

I then went to back did another search.

I found some fingers point to the visor, so I decide to give a try.

And...it works!

It was the driver side visor. I cut the red wire and so far so good.

The mirror on the back of the visor not working now but I am glad I can the interior light back. Also, odo won't go to O and won't reset each time when I start the engine.

Hope this experience might help someone.
I'm having the EXACT same issue with my lights, cluster needles, and trip odometer. I'm going to unplug the visor wires and replace the fuse. Thanks for updating this post!