GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Dome 10A fuse blowing every 5-6 days

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 08:44 AM
Romulus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dome 10A fuse blowing every 5-6 days

I have for the life of me tried to figure out what is causing this. What baffles me is that the fuse wont blow instantly when I install a new one, it happens after about 5-6 days. Please help with any possible solutions to this problem.

Thanks
Old 08-21-10, 04:45 AM
hammer0008
Rookie

there is a short ...expensive to find.
Old 08-21-10, 06:15 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

definitely a short....good luck finding the cause of it.
Old 08-21-10, 06:27 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You (Someone who knows electricity) need to measure the amp draw to find out (Trace out) what is drawing the excessive load. Could be many things (bad connection, bad bulb, a short, etc) A quick fix could be replacing the bulbs with LEDs (They draw way less amps).

Koz
Old 08-21-10, 07:07 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it raining when the fuse blows, or right after a rain (or car wash) ?
Old 08-25-10, 10:34 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Romulus1
I have for the life of me tried to figure out what is causing this. What baffles me is that the fuse wont blow instantly when I install a new one, it happens after about 5-6 days. Please help with any possible solutions to this problem.

Thanks
Romulus..goto the engine compartment bay open the Engine Base Fuse box, you will see a Relay which is Dome Relay which is located parallel to the Seat Heater . No 9.( kinda T shape ) IF it is hard to find, the Fuse cover inner side check oout the location map of this stuff. Have it removed, and test its connectivity . While the test happens you should hear a small click noise that sound the cut of On / Off while you short it , if you dont hear this that mean its is fried.
Ensure while doing this replacement the key should not be in the ignition and ensure you close all doors while the job is done, as this is based on a timer sequence which will re-time the ECM for the light indoors when the doors open to doors close. The normal time is 3 seconds after door close. If this get reprogrammed, let me know, I will send you a sequence how to re-program the same. Hope it helps
Old 08-31-10, 06:11 AM
jbw5485
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if the light in the visor blows the fuse. Mine has a short there. I think it's the drivers side. Open the visor and slide the mirror cover to make the light come on then with the light still on move the visor up and down. Do one side at a time. This fuse also sends power to the running board lights, curtesy lights on the mirrors, the little orange lights that put a glow on the center console and a few other things. Hope you find it. Even if you don't get it fixed you'll know what it is and can avoid popping the fuse from now on.
Old 09-13-10, 11:43 AM
Romulus1
Driver School Candidate

Guys I really appreciate the info, but I have tried the visor and the relay possible solutions but neither work. The fuse still blows every 5-6 days almost like clockwork. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It wouldnt bother me that badly but we have 2 kids under 3 and the time changing in a few weeks, the dome lights need to be working to buckle the kids in.
Old 09-13-10, 03:14 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered replacing the 10A with a 15A fuse... see what happens?
Old 09-13-10, 04:42 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redrocks
Second thoughts, maybe that's a bad idea!

Kindly ignore my momentary loss of intelligence!
Old 09-30-10, 11:11 PM
wflp1503
Driver School Candidate

Default Was wondering if the problem is finally solved?What was the problem?

Mine (2004 at 55K miles) have the same proble...

well, not exactly the same.

When it first happened (few weeks ago), I replace the fuse #10 (10A mini fuse) ievery 3-5 days.

the other day I found the left low beam bulb was out. I replaced it and it is working good, so far.

And, now, the fuse blows immediatly whenever I put it on...

so I am always in dark, no interior light/board lights at all.

PLUS, when I turn on the car, all gauge seems intend to go nagitive...they were shaking at "0" for 5-7 sec, the back to normal.

I am pretty sure there is a short somewhere...anyone can tell me where it possibly be ???!!!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Romulus1
Guys I really appreciate the info, but I have tried the visor and the relay possible solutions but neither work. The fuse still blows every 5-6 days almost like clockwork. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It wouldnt bother me that badly but we have 2 kids under 3 and the time changing in a few weeks, the dome lights need to be working to buckle the kids in.
Old 10-01-10, 05:29 AM
Bottledfed
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
Then a even bigger problem happen's you burn out a wire or start a fire.

Originally Posted by wflp1503
Mine (2004 at 55K miles) have the same proble...

well, not exactly the same.

When it first happened (few weeks ago), I replace the fuse #10 (10A mini fuse) ievery 3-5 days.

the other day I found the left low beam bulb was out. I replaced it and it is working good, so far.

And, now, the fuse blows immediatly whenever I put it on...

so I am always in dark, no interior light/board lights at all.

PLUS, when I turn on the car, all gauge seems intend to go nagitive...they were shaking at "0" for 5-7 sec, the back to normal.

I am pretty sure there is a short somewhere...anyone can tell me where it possibly be ???!!!

Thanks!
It's a short for sure. The dashboard run's on one circuit. If you bring it by I can fix it.
Old 10-01-10, 12:55 PM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry Dashboard, that's is not true with GX. The power flow are induvidually controlled by the Body ECU
The GX Body ECU functionality is to control the power feed to the Interior Lights. The location of this is at the Junction box of the Driver Side tagged as B3. This Control the lighting aspect of all interior lights. The power source to this system is routed via the 10A Dome Fuse and that inturn is controlled by the Dome Relay ( located in the Engine Room Relay box. Now for example when the Doors of the GX is opened, the Body ECU senses the neccessary activation of the required light & fires up. Now What you have checked relay, If you have checked the relay is fully functional then ok . As I said fuse getting fried, there are two options ( Relay or the Body ECU Signal IC fried). If you have confirmed relay is OK, then it is the Body ECU fried, You cannot do any more troubleshooting. You have to replace the Body ECU. Remove the part and its number and check with dealer availabilty and price. It is very rare this getting blown, but seems this has got shorted with some harness disconnected with its housing or bit unlocked and loose and getting shorted. The job to replace Body ECU is a 5 minute job. One to ensure the Battery (-) disconnected and have the new part inserted. And run thru the entire wire schematics of the Body ECU to the Dome Relay & Fuse and have all the harness connectors locked. Hope this helps.
Here is the attached snippets.
If you observe the fuse is 82600F that is the 10A block fuse. And the Body interior Lamps relays is No 14- 85965. The body ECU is located on the interior side at the Driver Footwell below the steering Column behind the plastic panel. tagged as B3 and is attached along with the Fuse Junction box.
Hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails Dome 10A fuse blowing every 5-6 days-82600f-10a-fuse-block.jpg   Dome 10A fuse blowing every 5-6 days-interior-room-relay-85965-14.jpg  
Old 10-01-10, 09:49 PM
wflp1503
Driver School Candidate

I will check the relay (not quite sure if I have known how, but will read previous thread to find out).

I actually noticed some other phenomenon, do not know if they are related:
The rear air suspesion height control is acting up, basically it stays high (at most time) but on the dash it shows "N"...if I change positions I can actually see the sespension goes up and down, also the light on dash never blinks...so i guess the system has no problem, but somehow it thinks the car is at "N" but actually it is on "high"...

Are these problem related??!!
Old 10-05-10, 06:02 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Rom,

Did you get this problem resolved?

Quick Reply: Dome 10A fuse blowing every 5-6 days