GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Air Filters maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 04:09 PM
RCharles5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filters maintenance

Has anyone replace the air filter or the cabin air filter?
Any secrets I should know about or other suggestions?

I managed to slightly nick the plastic wood trim on a previous car while replacing the cabin air filter. Any advice on the GX 470 cabin air filter?

Thanks
RCharles
Old 06-29-10, 08:48 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

the cabin air filter is located behind the glove compartment.
Old 06-30-10, 07:55 AM
RCharles5
Driver School Candidate

Both air filters are easily replaced using just simple hand tools.

Engine Air Filter. When facing the engine, the filter is on the left side under a black plastic sound shield. The shield is attached with five plastic plugs, which are easily removed using a flat-blade screwdriver and can be re-used if removed carefully. With the shield removed, the air filter is directly below, in a black plastic housing, which is held shut by two spring clips and is attached to a large air duct with a large pipe clamp. Pry the clips off and the top can be opened; it is slightly limited by the attached duct, but the old filter can be removed and a new one installed. Reverse the steps to close everything up. Fifteen minutes and one screwdriver.

Cabin Air Filter. This is located behind the glove box door and is accessed by removing that door.
Glove Box Door REMOVAL:
1. On the left side of the door, there is a short cable with a plastic clip over a stud; take the clip off the stud.
2. Both sides of the glove box door have small projections that sit in channels and stop the door when opened; press the sides apart to have the projections clear the stops, then bring the door all the way down.
3. The door hinges snap off and the door is free; set it aside. There are no screws to be removed.
Cabin Filter Replacement:
1. The air filter is straight back; the visible part is one edge of the white frame that holds the filter element.
Frame Removal: This frame is held in place by integral plastic clips, one on each side. Each clip has two arms, upper and lower, which are pressed to release. These clips are easily broken, almost designed to fail. Just release them carefully and slide the frame out.
2 Filter Replacement: The old filter is removed from the frame and the new one inserted into the frame.
3. Replace the frame - just slide it back into the opening and engage the clips on each side.
Glove Box Door Replacement.
1. Align the door hinges to the slots, then press/snap them into place. Close to door to engage the stops on each side.
2. Open the door; on the left side, find the cable and plastic clip. Pull to extend the cable, bring the clip forward and put it back on the stud.
3. Check the door for alignment. If it is off center or closes with difficulty, check that both hinges are fully snapped into position.
Twenty minutes and maybe a small screwdriver to press the clips on the filter frame; a screwdriver may also be useful to reach the cable for re-attachment.

RCharles
Old 01-19-11, 10:19 PM
fmfarooqui
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy glove box cord broke

trying to replace the cabin filter and as I was taking the glove box out I pulled it and broke the cord that holds the box from dropping down. thecord is still connected to the box but broke from where it was attached to the car. what do I do now. all rest went well.... I just need to fix the cable as this car is my baby. I am too sad. please help. I cant find where it should be attahched.
Old 01-20-11, 05:45 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

what broke? the little cord? the little nub that you attach the cord to? or the little spring mechanism that the cord comes from?
Old 01-20-11, 09:40 PM
fmfarooqui
Driver School Candidate

yes the cord broke. so picture this.... the cord is connected to two parts. 1. its connected to the box itself that the filter is behind. 2. the cord is connected to some motor that controls the speed by which the door opens meaning the gradual opening of the glove box. now the cord is attached to the box but not to the motor. where is that motor and how do I attach it back as now when i open the glove box.... it drops open......
does that explain?
and thanks for trying to help.
Old 01-20-11, 09:44 PM
fmfarooqui
Driver School Candidate

Also,what cabin filter model are you all using? I used theToyota original filter -YZZ03 with activated carbon as I drive 50 miles a day. hope the extra investment is worth it. bought it at the local Lexus dealership. 33 bucks.
Old 01-20-11, 09:49 PM
fmfarooqui
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCharles5
Both air filters are easily replaced using just simple hand tools.

Engine Air Filter. When facing the engine, the filter is on the left side under a black plastic sound shield. The shield is attached with five plastic plugs, which are easily removed using a flat-blade screwdriver and can be re-used if removed carefully. With the shield removed, the air filter is directly below, in a black plastic housing, which is held shut by two spring clips and is attached to a large air duct with a large pipe clamp. Pry the clips off and the top can be opened; it is slightly limited by the attached duct, but the old filter can be removed and a new one installed. Reverse the steps to close everything up. Fifteen minutes and one screwdriver.

RCharles
I did not use any screwdriver. also, there are 4 clamps. stand on the side of the car and then look in rather than stand in front. You do not need to undo the pipe or the clamp. thats too much work. Just open th e4 clamps and the top is raised allowing for an easy and 5 minute install. while there, also check to see if your stearing fluid is good. Use a toyota original air filter (made in japan) ONLY. I bought another filter and the size was off by 1/6th of an inch and the construction was different on the toyota one. paid 22.50 for toyota filter vs 13 bucks for the fram that I will return.
Old 01-21-11, 10:11 AM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fmfarooqui
Also,what cabin filter model are you all using? I used theToyota original filter -YZZ03 with activated carbon as I drive 50 miles a day. hope the extra investment is worth it. bought it at the local Lexus dealership. 33 bucks.
I am surprised at the part Number you have quoted, as Sewell when I had bought had given me this part for the Cabin Air filter and found that the Filter Paper Quality was very thin, I had put back the original one. Here is the box which i had taken an image of it.
Attached Thumbnails Air Filters maintenance-cabin-air-filter.jpg  
Old 01-22-11, 12:15 AM
fmfarooqui
Driver School Candidate

this is the regular filter that sewell sells you. most places will sell you this but remember thats as basic as you can go. The YZZ03 filter is charcoal activated. I just took out my factory filter that came with the GX and it looked like the one you show BUT its a simple filter and will not protect the cabin with extra fumes/smells. The charcoal activated ones are way better protection for you and other travelers in your vehicle. I spent hours researching these filters. I even reached out to Sewell who did email back with the confirmation that they typically sell the regular filter (YZZ05) but a better filter is the charcoal activated one. Then they sent me a link too. Please see below...

=====================================

Subject: RE: SewellParts.com - Question Received From Lexus Customer (Item:3795)
To: fmfarooqui

Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 11:46 AM

fmfarooqui,

Here is a link directly to the two filter options:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Service/GX470-2006/2473.html
however for the mileage kits, we currently only offer the kit with the standard cabin filter option.

Darrel Diller

Sewell Parts

Dallas, TX 75209

sewellparts.com

ddiller@sewell.com

===============================================

Hope you can now see the two different filters. Also, my local Lexus dealer recommends getting the advanced filter. Also, when you get to the link provided, you will see two filter pictures. click on the 2nd one and see that they show the two filters. Its your choice but I truly see the difference in my vehicle with the YZZ03 filter. you may also find this on ebay where it may be cheaper to get PLUS local Toyota dealer will also sell cheaper. here is another place to buy filters:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-element-air-refiner~87139-yzz03.html
Good Luck!

Last edited by fmfarooqui; 01-22-11 at 12:26 AM.