GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Bull Bar for GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 01:33 PM
mkupchyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bull Bar for GX

Where can I find a bull bar (just in the middle, not all the way across & covering the lights like a full brush guard) that will fit the GX, I looked at JCWhitney.com, but none of those pictured gave me the option of picking Lexus as a custom fit.

Yes, I did already search the forums for 'bull bar' and did not find a good thread.

I did see a few pics of a bull bar mounted on a GX, but no details about it.

or, know of any custom car shops that will do it for me in No. VA (DC metro area), order the part plus install?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-21-08, 03:58 PM
kalak
Driver School Candidate

i just added a westin ultimate bullbar (black) yesterday to my gx. i got it from truckchump.com by ordering toyota 4runner (they're d same). so far so good. hopefully i'll get my light i ordered soon so i can install them. i'd like to post a pic by i havent figured out yet (i'm noob).
Old 08-21-08, 04:04 PM
kalak
Driver School Candidate

just testing...
Attached Thumbnails Bull Bar for GX-dsc03656.jpg  
Old 08-22-08, 04:59 AM
mkupchyk
Driver School Candidate

This is the same one at JCWhitney.com, the Westin ultimate. I like it, but kinda wish it was all black, not chromish at the bottom.

JC has it for $349, how much did you pay? Was the install easy, just bolts underneath?

You order PIAA lights? Where do those get wired to, do you have to install a separate switch on the dash, etc? Are you doing the lights yourself or taking to a shop? Just curious, I have neved done this stuff.

Looks awesome BTW. I have a blizzard(or whatever word they use) white GX, so I think the black bar will look better than chrome.
Old 08-22-08, 01:30 PM
kalak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkupchyk

This is the same one at JCWhitney.com, the Westin ultimate. I like it, but kinda wish it was all black, not chromish at the bottom.

JC has it for $349, how much did you pay? Was the install easy, just bolts underneath?

You order PIAA lights? Where do those get wired to, do you have to install a separate switch on the dash, etc? Are you doing the lights yourself or taking to a shop? Just curious, I have neved done this stuff.

Looks awesome BTW. I have a blizzard(or whatever word they use) white GX, so I think the black bar will look better than chrome.
i only paid $240 using 10% discount code RUEES at truckchump.com. it took me approx 15 min to install. it's easy even for noob like me. westin has a promo going on right now. free driving lights if you buy a bar. check their site..
Attached Thumbnails Bull Bar for GX-dsc03636.jpg  
Old 08-24-08, 01:54 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That bar looks very nice on your GX Kalak.

Good luck with your future mods!

Antonio.
Old 08-24-08, 07:23 PM
kalak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by antonio98
That bar looks very nice on your GX Kalak.

Good luck with your future mods!

Antonio.
thanks a lot!
Old 08-25-08, 07:03 AM
mkupchyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kalak
i only paid $240 using 10% discount code RUEES at truckchump.com. it took me approx 15 min to install. it's easy even for noob like me. westin has a promo going on right now. free driving lights if you buy a bar. check their site..
OK cool. Since I am in VA, we have front plates on the vehicles, I am concerned that the bar you got may block some of my plate (espically if I also add lights). But Westin does have a different style that looks a bit wider with more of an opening (but without the grill cover piece at the bottom), so that may be a good option to keep the front plate in view.

Did you have to remove the tow hooks? I have not been all the way under to look, is is just bolts with a socket wrench to remove & then install the hardware? Thanks.

Oh and it is truckCHAMP (not chump, lol) slight typo there.
Old 08-25-08, 10:25 AM
kalak
Driver School Candidate

OK cool. Since I am in VA, we have front plates on the vehicles, I am concerned that the bar you got may block some of my plate (espically if I also add lights). But Westin does have a different style that looks a bit wider with more of an opening (but without the grill cover piece at the bottom), so that may be a good option to keep the front plate in view.

Did you have to remove the tow hooks? I have not been all the way under to look, is is just bolts with a socket wrench to remove & then install the hardware? Thanks.

i did not remove the tow hooks. i just located the factory bolts that hold the bumper to the frame then placed the bracket on top of the existing nuts then tightened the screws provided with the bar. easy instalation.

you're right! truckchamp.com. typo error. hahaha.
Old 08-25-08, 10:45 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

That looks very good Kalek, not so big as to look obnoxious but big enough to make folks think twice about parking too close to your nose I may have to get one of those.
Old 08-25-08, 02:22 PM
kutsyy
Pit Crew

i just added a westin ultimate bullbar (black) yesterday to my gx. i got it from truckchump.com by ordering toyota 4runner (they're d same). so far so good. hopefully i'll get my light i ordered soon so i can install them. i'd like to post a pic by i havent figured out yet (i'm noob).
How big is a skid plate? How strong is it? How far does it go? (I don't care for the look, but I do care for functionality)

Thanks,
Old 08-25-08, 03:06 PM
kalak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kutsyy
How big is a skid plate? How strong is it? How far does it go? (I don't care for the look, but I do care for functionality)

Thanks,
i think the skid plate is more cosmetic cause it does not extend all the way back parallel to the bumper/frame where you attach the bracket. i'd say it only protect the bumper. i hope it helps.
Old 08-25-08, 06:13 PM
kutsyy
Pit Crew

i think the skid plate is more cosmetic cause it does not extend all the way back parallel to the bumper/frame where you attach the bracket. i'd say it only protect the bumper. i hope it helps.
That was my understanding, was just checking.
Old 08-26-08, 12:04 AM
kalak
Driver School Candidate

mkupchyk

you must be talking about the westin safari light bar. i considered that as well but i think it's just too skinny for our truck (i'm talking bout the diameter of the bar). it's only 2'' instead of 2.5'' like mine.
Old 08-26-08, 05:28 AM
mkupchyk
Driver School Candidate

yes, exactly, the safari light bar. yeah I was thinking that it does look a bit skinnier & less beefy, but I think that the wider spacing is going to be required so that my front license plate is not partially blocked.

Are you adding lights to your bar? If so, are you running the wiring yourself?

Quick Reply: Bull Bar for GX