GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buying Pre-owned GX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-06, 09:32 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying Pre-owned GX?

I was thinking of trading our 01 RX300 for a pre-owned GX.

Any advice on what year to buy 03-05, any real differences?

I have found a few 03's in the low 30's with 35-45k miles, sum with Navi and without.

TIA
Old 09-17-06, 10:02 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do it!

We moved from a 2000 RX300 to the GX470 in '04. The space and luxury is very different. The ride is smoother and quieter. We recently traded our Blizzard White/Grey (with 25K miles) with 3rd row seating, Rear Seat Entertainment, NAVI and Mark Levinson for a 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Our City mileage on the GX was pretty steady around 17MPG. On the interstate I was able to average 23MPG. It was babied while we had it. The Toyota dealer we traded it into placed a HUGE markup originally asking $47K the 1st week they had it. It is about 2months since we traded it in and it is now listed as an "Internet Special" @ $36,995. You can probably get it for $36K. IMHO it is a BARGAIN at that price. Here's the link to it if you interested.
http://www.toyotaofconcord.com/Preow...=2004&makeid=4
Old 09-17-06, 10:36 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Wow that is a good deal for that car. Do you miss the GX or was the better fuel economy worth it?

I wish it were closer to Chi-town I went to Oklahoma to get the RX not up to doing that again.
Old 09-17-06, 11:05 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default mixed emotions

Originally Posted by jimxo
Wow that is a good deal for that car. Do you miss the GX or was the better fuel economy worth it?

I wish it were closer to Chi-town I went to Oklahoma to get the RX not up to doing that again.
We've both got mixed emotions about giving up the GX. It really was a nicer car. Although the Highlander we got to replace it is the "top of the line" unit with full leather, NAVI, etc it still doesn't have memory seats? I figured this was due to the Hybrid because the Avalon had both memory seats as well as the pushbutton start. They also did not have a HiHy with RSES so we are adding that aftermarket (for a LOT less $'s than from the dealer). As far as fuel economy...We were REALLY dissapointed at first as average driving (both HWY and CITY) was only 22.5 for the first two tanks Grrrr......ARggghh!!! But, we did discover that the dealer had left the tires low inflated and once we brought them up to the std 37 psi, we did better with FE and are now getting around 25MPG. This is the 4th tank and we are trying what (apparently) many Hybrid owners practice in that we now have the PSI only 2lbs below the sidewall max of 44psi. That matched with a point later in the break-in period should get us around 27-28MPG. However, the ride @ 42psi is a little harsh (more like my Acura TL now than a soft-riding SUV). So, in the end, the jury is still out. If we could switch back for no additional cost, I think we would.

As far as the travel... Some dealerships are better than others. Since it's at a Toyota dealership, it doesn't have the CPO you'd get if it were @ Lexus. Toyota probably won't pick you up at the dealership like Lexus would either. But, this Toyota dealership is also owned (I think) by Hendrick and therefore has a sister Lexus dealership here in town. You might want to call them and see if they would honor the price and add the CPO at no cost. If so, you may want to try that.
Old 09-17-06, 07:27 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey jimxo,

i was lucky enough to find a steal during the labor day weekend and found myself a '03 BLACK GX 470. It has everything except the navigation and get this...it only had 26K mile on it. That is why i jumped at the opportunity and never looked back.

It's AWD, 6 Disc Changer, heated seats, 3rd row, sunroof/moonroof/memory seats, steering wheel radio control, pretty much everything except the navigation just like i said. The coolest part is that I got it for $33,995.

Hope you find one yourself... Good Luck!
Old 09-18-06, 09:17 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Do it Jim if you need the extra trunk space and the 3rd row for ocassional people hauling

Apologies to the RX owners, but I can't wait to get into my GX when I'm in the rx for a loaner

Quick things to look for:
1. Clunk update-there's a sticky on the top with the tsb #(or tsib).
2. 05 is where you get the extra 35 hp and bluetooth function with the nav unit.
Sports package is where you get the kdss with the blackwood trimmings and
darker headlamp housing. I wanted this but it was a 3 month wait.
No regrets though.
3. Is the barn door ok for you? This is a turn off for some people

Let us know what you decide
Old 09-18-06, 02:48 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKGX470

hey jimxo,

i was lucky enough to find a steal during the labor day weekend and found myself a '03 BLACK GX 470. It has everything except the navigation and get this...it only had 26K mile on it. That is why i jumped at the opportunity and never looked back.

It's AWD, 6 Disc Changer, heated seats, 3rd row, sunroof/moonroof/memory seats, steering wheel radio control, pretty much everything except the navigation just like i said. The coolest part is that I got it for $33,995.

Hope you find one yourself... Good Luck!
If it were me, I think that I would buy a new '06 GX470 for about $10,000 more and get the NAV with rear camera and all the improvements since '03, including more warranty time. Plus of course, higher resale value.

Just my two cents.

~ Cap
Old 09-19-06, 05:28 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Capirato
If it were me, I think that I would buy a new '06 GX470 for about $10,000 more and get the NAV with rear camera and all the improvements since '03, including more warranty time. Plus of course, higher resale value.

Just my two cents.

~ Cap
I completely agree with Cap. However, 10k is a bit of money for some people. Anyway, about the RX vs GX. Whenever I take my GX in for service, I can't wait to get her back after driving the RX too.

CV
Old 09-19-06, 06:10 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Default More updates on my old '04

It was a late year model and therefore DOES also have the rearveiw camera (so you don't need to spend the additional $'s for an 05 or 06 if that's a big deal). Also, my '04 NEVER had the "clunk" that others have talked about. I just figured they got it all sorted out prior to building my '04.
Old 09-19-06, 08:24 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

$36,900 is a pretty darn good price for that truck, as far as CPO. Only Lexus determines those vehicles, and I am told it is a rigorous process to have a vehicle certified. So unlikely they will just do it. You can, however get the warranty for probably another $2k that will match the CPO warranty. Bunka, what did you get for your truck on trade-in?
Old 09-19-06, 10:34 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
I was thinking of trading our 01 RX300 for a pre-owned GX.

Any advice on what year to buy 03-05, any real differences?

I have found a few 03's in the low 30's with 35-45k miles, sum with Navi and without.

TIA

Just be careful and watch for any weird vibration in the steering wheel at certain engine rpm's (~ freeway speeds) and the clunk in the driveshaft. These seem to be the only persistent problems I've heard of. The 4runner has had more problems despite being built on the same chassis, so it would be riskier buying a used one of those since a number of people on the 4runner website w/ problems have traded in their rigs due to Toyota's inability or lack of desire to fix them (besides the steering wheel vibration, which still exists in the 06 4runner and driveshaft clunk, driver's seat moves, moonroof creaks/rattles, etc, rotten egg smell in exhaust, etc.).
Old 09-19-06, 01:51 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for your post. I did some looking around here in Illinois and found a fairly good selection of GX's to choose from. Maybe its the higher gas prices but it appears to be a good time to pick up one of these.

My local dealer had a ton of used RX & GX to consider. My guess is the used car market continues to struggle with gas prices and new car incentives.

BTW: I looked at the RDX but felt that was a step down from the RX in terms of space and luxury.
Old 09-19-06, 02:21 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jugdish
$36,900 is a pretty darn good price for that truck, as far as CPO. Only Lexus determines those vehicles, and I am told it is a rigorous process to have a vehicle certified. So unlikely they will just do it. You can, however get the warranty for probably another $2k that will match the CPO warranty. Bunka, what did you get for your truck on trade-in?
Jugdish - Trust me on this one. Lexus woudl LOVE to have this truck. Not a SINGLE thing was wrong with it EVER. As I said, we still miss it. CPO'ing that one would be one of the easiest things to do simply because they truly would not have to do ANYTHING. Even the tires show VERY little wear. The Lexus CPO process is very similar to the Benz and Beemer's. New tires, oil change, 30K service, etc. they might add a few dollars for the service and the extension of the warranty but that would pretty much be about it. My recommedation was that he contact Lexus and "work out the deal". In this case, that "deal" should be pretty simple (as this dealer also owns a Lexus dealership). Heck, I am SERIOUSLY considering selling my '04 Acura TL to a private party and going back and picking my old GX back up. At that price, it is a steal and I wouldn't care about the gas mileage.
Old 09-19-06, 04:13 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
Jugdish - Trust me on this one. Lexus woudl LOVE to have this truck. Not a SINGLE thing was wrong with it EVER. As I said, we still miss it. CPO'ing that one would be one of the easiest things to do simply because they truly would not have to do ANYTHING. Even the tires show VERY little wear. The Lexus CPO process is very similar to the Benz and Beemer's. New tires, oil change, 30K service, etc. they might add a few dollars for the service and the extension of the warranty but that would pretty much be about it. My recommedation was that he contact Lexus and "work out the deal". In this case, that "deal" should be pretty simple (as this dealer also owns a Lexus dealership). Heck, I am SERIOUSLY considering selling my '04 Acura TL to a private party and going back and picking my old GX back up. At that price, it is a steal and I wouldn't care about the gas mileage.
I actually own a CPO Lexus, and looking at how these trucks depreciate, and the CPO warranty, I will never buy a new Lexus. I am planning on getting at least 200k miles on mine before I get a new one. BTW, what did they give you on the trade?
Old 09-19-06, 04:59 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Hey don't steal my car I may buy it-lol Just kidding I'm thinking we need to stay local.

Quick Reply: Buying Pre-owned GX?