GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-06, 09:48 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Question

When I back out of my garage in the morning and stop the car and put it in Drive, as I put my foot on the gas, the car will click quickly as it does when the VSC is activated. It only does it after I come out of reverse and the car is completely stopped before I start to move forward. Does this happen to anyone else. If you have noticed, pay close attention the next time you back up.

Thanks,
CV
Old 04-12-06, 11:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

When you say click, do you mean that beeping noise from the VSC? If thats what you mean, its not suppose to do that.
Old 04-12-06, 03:49 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Default Maybe...

Any chance the clicking you hear is the mirror going into its reverse/down mode and back? I think mine makes a bit of a noise. You can always turn that off by centering the mirror adjustor and see.
Old 04-13-06, 05:35 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
When you say click, do you mean that beeping noise from the VSC? If thats what you mean, its not suppose to do that.
No, it doesn't beep. I know that sound. The noise it makes is really faint and it rattles the accelorator as the traction control does. It only does it for a split second but it is long enough to notice. I used to own a 03 4Runner, so I know the sounds. It is almost as if the VSC is resetting itself as the brake does sometimes when you are sitting at a light.
CV
Old 04-13-06, 05:36 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Any chance the clicking you hear is the mirror going into its reverse/down mode and back? I think mine makes a bit of a noise. You can always turn that off by centering the mirror adjustor and see.
Thanks for the tip SilverLady, but I don't use that function of the car...it drives me nutts. I am certain it is at the pedals.
CV
Old 04-13-06, 06:07 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default A likely theory...

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
I am certain it is at the pedals.
CV
Next time I drive the GX I'll check (stuck with the Accord today - The Beast is resting in the garage ), but here's what I think it might be...

As you know, you cannot shift out of Park until you depress the brake pedal. Stepping on the brake while in Park disengages (retracts) a solenoid that locks the shifter in place when the car is parked. Upon releasing the brake pedal when you're ready to go, electrical power to the solenoid is cut, and the solenoid extends back to the "ready" position, i.e. ready to re-engage when you put the truck back in Park.

That is likely to be the click you hear. You only hear it once at the beginning, since the solenoid is only energized once - when you are ready to shift out of Park. Stepping on the brakes at any other time does not produce the clicking, since the computer knows you are out of Park already, so no current is sent to the solenoid.

I hope this is clear... My coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so feel free to ask for clarification if this doesn't make complete sense.

Last edited by caha14; 04-13-06 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-13-06, 06:23 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caha14
Next time I drive the GX I'll check (stuck with the Accord today - The Beast is resting in the garage ), but here's what I think it might be...

As you know, you cannot shift out of Park until you depress the brake pedal. Stepping on the brake while in Park disengages (retracts) a solenoid that locks the shifter in place when the car is parked. Upon releasing the brake pedal when you're ready to go, electrical power to the solenoid is cut, and the solenoid extends back to the "ready" position, i.e. ready to re-engage when you put the truck back in Park.

That is likely to be the click you hear. You only hear it once at the beginning, since the solenoid is only energized once - when you are ready to shift out of Park. Stepping on the brakes at any other time does not produce the clicking, since the computer knows you are out of Park already, so no current is sent to the solenoid.

I hope this is clear... My coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so feel free to ask for clarification if this doesn't make complete sense.
Thanks, but it doesn't happen when i push on the brake. After backing up, stopping, placing car in drive, step on gas...vibrate for .5 sec...go...never happens again.
CV
Old 04-13-06, 06:30 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CVsGX470
Thanks, but it doesn't happen when i push on the brake. After backing up, stopping, placing car in drive, step on gas...vibrate for .5 sec...go...never happens again.
CV
Ok, so it's not when you release the brake but actually as you speed up... You initially described it as a "click", so the shift interlock had come to mind. Now that you describe it like a vibration, it's sounding to me like the ABS self test, which usually occurs at very low speed and only happens once. If you're already familiar with the ABS test, then this may not be it, but I thought I'd mention it. It's a slight buzzing sound that indeed lasts only a few seconds.

Another thought, which you may have tried, but again, I can't assume you have... Pull over, park, shut the engine, restart, and go again - with no use of Reverse - and see if the same thing happens as you drive off.
Old 04-13-06, 12:01 PM
98Nav400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a sloped driveway?

My driveway is sloped and when I go from reverse to drive and take off often I get the VSC intervention. I suspect that when going from the brake to gas I must get some very minimal backward movement.
Old 04-14-06, 07:59 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If still under warranty, take it to the Lexus dealer and have this problem logged in to the system... They might replace your propeller shaft (we call driveshaft).
Old 04-20-06, 02:04 PM
fj55-100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normal ABS self test .