GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

35% tinit too light

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 08:13 AM
GX4Life
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% tint too light

For anyone worried that 35% tinit would be too light, It is too light. 35% tint in the driver's side and passenger's side windows match at night when the car is off. In the daytime, the difference between the front and back windows are noticable. Also, at night if the car is on, the navigation produces so much light in the intertior that anyone outside the car can see through the front windows.

I should have at least went with 20%. And tinting the rear of the car over the factory privacy glass is not a bad idea.

Hope this info becomes useful.
Old 01-18-05, 03:34 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4Life
For anyone worried that 35% tinit would be too light, It is too light. 35% tint in the driver's side and passenger's side windows match at night when the car is off. In the daytime, the difference between the front and back windows are noticable. Also, at night if the car is on, the navigation produces so much light in the intertior that anyone outside the car can see through the front windows.

I should have at least went with 20%. And tinting the rear of the car over the factory privacy glass is not a bad idea.

That what I did to my GX .https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139730
Old 01-18-05, 04:11 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Yeah I agree, 35% is nothing and hardly worth the trouble other than in most states it's the darkest LEGAL tint available. If you're trying to get it to match the stock tint then 15%-20% should do it, that's been my experience with my cars in the past.
Old 01-18-05, 04:34 PM
GX4Life
Driver School Candidate

yes i saw that pic. It looks sweet angel.
Old 01-19-05, 10:00 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally Posted by GX4Life

of course it looks better with darker tint. but, it's also a matter of how many times you want to get pulled over (for those of us with exterior alterations like chrome wheels).
Old 01-19-05, 10:36 AM
98Nav400
Driver

I went with 35% and agree that it would look better with 20%. That being said, I would chose 35% again simply due to the fact that I don't avoid possible police stops as much as possible.

Also, I have seen the same 35% in a GX with the tan interior and it appears much lighter than in mine with charcoal interior.
Old 01-19-05, 12:13 PM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally Posted by 98Nav400
I went with 35% and agree that it would look better with 20%. That being said, I would chose 35% again simply due to the fact that I don't avoid possible police stops as much as possible.

Also, I have seen the same 35% in a GX with the tan interior and it appears much lighter than in mine with charcoal interior.
you'll also notice a difference when you have the moonroof shade/cover open vs. closed.

i'm right on the boat with the 20%. this is my first vehicle with legal tints, but this is also the first vehicle i've had that i get my plates run constantly. at least where i live there's a big difference between a 25k sports car with dark tints and a 50k+ suv with tints. cops tend to wonder how you got it, ya know!!
Old 01-19-05, 04:42 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

That's funny cause my experience has been the nicer and more expensive the car, the less police want to pull it over, same with front plates, they never pull over a Corvette without a front plate and dark tint but roll through in a Honda Acoord and you're toast. Or roll around in a Regal with 15% tint behind a MB and see which one gets stopped.
Old 01-21-05, 10:15 AM
allisonb1013
Driver

Originally Posted by SCRUFFDOGG
That's funny cause my experience has been the nicer and more expensive the car, the less police want to pull it over, same with front plates, they never pull over a Corvette without a front plate and dark tint but roll through in a Honda Acoord and you're toast. Or roll around in a Regal with 15% tint behind a MB and see which one gets stopped.
number 1, it depends on where you live and what the cops are like. number 2, depends how old you are and what you have for mods. of course, i won't get pulled over in the winter with the stocks on, but summer-time with the chrome 22s on is another story. i'm 25. i don't look like the typical driver of this vehicle. with my rims on, cops know it's not "mom & dad's" car. i've gotten my plates run more times than i can count. cops around my town think like this: if you're rolling around in a regal with 15% tint, you're a young kid. if you're rolling around in an MB with 15% tint and big rims, what are you selling? (if you know what i mean).
Old 01-21-05, 11:59 AM
sickman
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I agree with Allison - it all depends on how much harrassment you want from the cops. I'm 33, but look like a teenager to law enforcement so I got the 35% tint in the front (with 15% everywhere else) because i didn't want to get stopped. 15% or darker would have been sweet but with a wife and baby, didn't want the hassle of getting pulled over. Even had the front plates put on (yuck!) because of this.

Couple of years ago, I was driving an old pickup and a cop stopped me on busy 101 freeway in Hollywood in the middle of rush hour over front window tints, as well as rear window tint because I didn't have a passenger side mirror.
Old 01-21-05, 11:15 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Nav400

Recently, I decided to have my front door windows tinted. First I checked to see what the legal tint is for California. I discovered that it is 70% for the front door windows and any % for the rest of the windows. I figured that I would go with 50% for the fronts, but to my surprise, the lightest tint the Shop had was 35% which matches pretty close the color of the rear windows. So, that's what I got. I may later have the rear windows tinted.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 01-21-05 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-22-05, 10:53 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Recently, I decided to have my front door windows tinted. First I checked to see what the legal tint is for California. I discovered that it is 70% for the front door windows and any % for the rest of the windows. I figured that I would go with 50% for the fronts, but to my surprise, the lightest tint the Shop had was 35% which matches pretty close the color of the rear windows. So, that's what I got. I may later have the rear windows tinted.

~ Cap
The only way you can have a tint on the front door windows in California, is with a Medical Exemption. Then there are guys like me that have them tinted anyway. I have 30% on the fronts and 20% on the rest of the windows.