GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Front end noise while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 02:59 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Why dont you just rotate your tires and see if the noise persists? Report back then we'll go from there
Old 06-07-15, 12:10 PM
oldglo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there! Did you ever fix your issue? I am having the same problem that whomp sound on the front left side.
Changed my wheel bearing hub but didnt got away.
Old 02-08-17, 06:34 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'Helicopter thumping' sound

This 'thumping sound' issue has started recently on my IS 350. Had two new Michelin Pilots installed on the front. No difference in noise. Doesn't seem to effect the car either.
The sound is like a 'Blackhawk' coming in low and fast, sometimes it starts about 55mph, other times 65mph and varies with speed. Interesting thing it may 'thump' at 60 to 65mph. Then next time it may not start until 70mph, or not at all. Very random. Doesent seem to be temperature related, Can occur when warm 'sixties' or not. Sometimes it makes the noise in the morning in the twenties ( or not). While making the noise everything is smooth, ( no tire feathering) but it just sounds like a 'Blackhawk' is chasing me, LOL
Put my second set of wheel/tires on the rear and drove it a bit, 'Blackhawk' was still chasing me, made no difference.
It sounds like the thump is originating in the rear of the car. I am leaning towards a caliper not releasing like said in a previous post. I had heard that some Toyota models have rear calipers that are susceptible to freezing up after a while. It is 11 years old. Sometimes it makes the noise and sometime we drive it for a week and silence, no noise. I will take that rear passenger side wheel off and check that brake pad and caliper first.
I had replaced all the rotors on the car back in 2013, they still look good and are not wore very much; no grooves.

will report back on what I find.
Old 03-02-17, 08:26 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caliper, thats all.

The passenger side rear caliper stuck engaged. wore out the rear brake pads on the right rear. I had replaced this caliper in 2013, 19K miles later frozen again. Interesting part, it hasn't been in that much salt, maybe once? and that was a incidental and rain caused that.
This time a NAPA caliper. These cardone calipers are Carp. Fisher auto parts didn't honor the warranty, so don't buy from them. Get a NAPA caliper.
The fronts seem to operate fine, I checked the left rear and its working like a champ. I cranked it in several times, to loosen it up, I suggest you do the same when you buy new tires since the wheels are off.
Now have to paint new caliper, Its ok I may paint the front ones blue also.
best regards
Old 01-04-19, 08:39 AM
DonCrawf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uncandid
Mine doesn't sound like metal on metal, more like a contstant "whoosh" or "whomp".

If the struts aren't leaking, any easy way to know if the suspension is gone? The ride isn't bouncy or anything, but like XxGoKoUxX said, it still drives smooth either way.
mine drives smooth but the humming noise is annoying. And it increases as the speed increase