GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 01-09-15, 03:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Synthetic Oil Changes!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 10:51 PM
Teddy350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think feeding our engines a quality synthetic oil and pumping premium fuel should keep our engines running smoothly! I plan to store my GS for a while and buying a hoopty for a DD and just using the Camry XLE(comes with full synthetic) for here and there.
Old 06-01-12, 04:30 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Oil has a shelf life too BTW, that's why it's 3-4 months OR 5k. (5k is something everyone runs by because it's a standard SAFE interval, that even if it's synthetic, you change it before the oil even determines to go bad).
Oil does deteriorate over time, but nothing like as quick as 3-4 months — if that were the case, there'd be a best before date on it, like food, and resellers would be buying less more regularly so as not to be stuck with old stock.

The 5K miles thing is industry scaremongering to force the consumer into buying more of the product — as you already made reference to, having an analysis done when you're thinking of changing will give you a clue as to whether the oil is still being effective, or has given its all.

The key factors in that respect are:
viscosity — has it changed/does it still meet its specs
TBN - reserve capacity to neutralise the acidic compounds

After that, you're into wear — trace metals and knowing where they're likely to be used in the engine, can highlight a potential problem before it becomes noticeable.

As Lexus in the EU recommends 10K or 12 months (5K or 6 months for severe schedule*), then unless the US is getting shafted with some majorly crappy oils, doing the 5K oil change religiously for no other reason as it's how it's always been, is wasteful of resources, and pulls money out of your pocket to keep an industry in business!
Engines over here don't suffer from the "extended" oil change interval, and as much as it's widely known Mobil 1's specs differ around the world, it really has to be ****-poor if it can't offer more than 5K/3-4 months protection, in which case you'd be better served to look at an alternative brand that can and does.

* Severe schedule is derived from putting more stress on the oil by doing a lot of towing or short journeys where the engine barely gets to temperature, and the condensation (water) doesn't evaporate as it does on a longer journey, as well as fuel dilution.

Remember, oil doesn't play any part in the combustion chamber above the piston rings (except for blow-by — but that's separate issue), so even if the fuel is poorer, changing the oil more often won't fix deposits on the piston crowns or the injectors and valves. For that you need to look at the likes of BG's 44K
Old 06-01-12, 10:04 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Boron
Oil does deteriorate over time, but nothing like as quick as 3-4 months — if that were the case, there'd be a best before date on it, like food, and resellers would be buying less more regularly so as not to be stuck with old stock.

The 5K miles thing is industry scaremongering to force the consumer into buying more of the product — as you already made reference to, having an analysis done when you're thinking of changing will give you a clue as to whether the oil is still being effective, or has given its all.

The key factors in that respect are:
viscosity — has it changed/does it still meet its specs
TBN - reserve capacity to neutralise the acidic compounds

After that, you're into wear — trace metals and knowing where they're likely to be used in the engine, can highlight a potential problem before it becomes noticeable.

As Lexus in the EU recommends 10K or 12 months (5K or 6 months for severe schedule*), then unless the US is getting shafted with some majorly crappy oils, doing the 5K oil change religiously for no other reason as it's how it's always been, is wasteful of resources, and pulls money out of your pocket to keep an industry in business!
Engines over here don't suffer from the "extended" oil change interval, and as much as it's widely known Mobil 1's specs differ around the world, it really has to be ****-poor if it can't offer more than 5K/3-4 months protection, in which case you'd be better served to look at an alternative brand that can and does.

* Severe schedule is derived from putting more stress on the oil by doing a lot of towing or short journeys where the engine barely gets to temperature, and the condensation (water) doesn't evaporate as it does on a longer journey, as well as fuel dilution.

Remember, oil doesn't play any part in the combustion chamber above the piston rings (except for blow-by — but that's separate issue), so even if the fuel is poorer, changing the oil more often won't fix deposits on the piston crowns or the injectors and valves. For that you need to look at the likes of BG's 44K
Great read! However, I believe the additives in the oil is what deteriorates and not the oil itself. What I meant by shelf life is the life of the oil since it's in the engine and not in a sealed container, therefore the oil IS exposed to contaminants and leaving it over time in an engine while the car is in storage for a long time isn't good. Or maybe i'm wrong? I'm not a professional oil guy so I wouldn't know lol, I just do my occasional reading once in a while
Old 06-01-12, 11:59 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only reason a stationary car's oil would deteriorate, is because oil does slowly oxidise.
The additives may be more reactive, compounding the issue, but even so, it'd still take longer than 3-4 months parked up before the oil would be considered ineffective, and therefore in need of draining and replacing.

Unfortunately, like politics these days, tell a little lie often enough and it is accepted as truth - man-made global warming being a prime example, only the lies are on a greater scale (because they got away with it!).
Now the world is in depression (financially), have you noticed the media isn't banging the climate change drum very much? It's taken a backseat to real problems like price rises, inflation increases, etc.
Speaking of which, did you notice it went from global warming to climate change because they needed a catch-all expression for when it wasn't warmer?

So, as said previously, the low oil change intervals is nothing more than the above - scaremongering and fear-inducing, with a simple solution.........all for just $9.99 (+ S&H) in 3 easy-pay monthly instalments.
Old 06-01-12, 12:08 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL! Thanks Boron for your confirmation! Funny, yet effective!