GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pcs unable or disabled ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 02:32 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pcs unable or disabled ?

My car would have a light that goes on saying PCS UNABLE OR PCS DISABLED...one of those. This would happen only when i drive on a long road trip. I notice it happen another time when it was snowing and it cover my radar cruise Lexus emblem in front of the grill. Does anyone know why it goes off every once in awhile when i'm driving in nice weather? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

2006 GS430
Old 05-19-10, 10:02 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Does anybody have an answer to this question?
Old 05-19-10, 10:15 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have PCS so I can't answer. Actually, not many people do which is probably the reason why you're not getting responses.

Perhaps on your long road trip a large bug splattered onto the symbol covering the radar?

Just a thought.
Old 05-20-10, 08:23 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TWong1200
I don't have PCS so I can't answer. Actually, not many people do which is probably the reason why you're not getting responses.

Perhaps on your long road trip a large bug splattered onto the symbol covering the radar?

Just a thought.
I was assuming that also. I will check it out next time when that reoccur. It's just beep out of no where and scare the crap out of me on trips.
Old 05-11-22, 12:14 AM
Tony2214
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an old thread, so we'll see if this gets any responses. My 2005 Gen 3 GS430 (Japanese domestic market model) has a whole bunch of options;*■ ABS (Anti-lock Brake System)

Restrains the vehicle from slipping when driving on slick road surfaces or in the event of sudden braking.

BA (Brake Assist)

Generates an increased level of braking force after the brake pedal is depressed, when the system detects a panic stop situation.

■ Cruise control

(Dynamic radar cruise control),

■ VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)

Helps the driver to control skidding when swerving suddenly or turning on slippery road surfaces.

■ TRAC (Traction Control)

Maintains drive power and prevents the rear wheels from spinning when starting the vehicle or accelerating on slippery roads.

■ Hill-start assist control.

Helps prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when starting on an incline or slippery slope. It operates for approximately 5 seconds at maxi*mum.

■ Intuitive parking assist,

■ VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering)

Adjusts the wheel turning angle in accordance with the vehicle speed and steering wheel movement.

■ EPS (Electric Power Steering)

Employs an electric motor to reduce the amount of effort needed to turn the steering wheel.

Active stabilizer suspension system , turns at smaller angles to maintain the stable vehicle posture

■ AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension System)

Roll Bars Shock Absorbers,

■ VDIM (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management)

Provides integrated control of the ABS, VSC, TRAC, hill-start assist con*trol, VGRS and EPS systems. Maintains vehicle stability when swerving on slippery road surfaces by controlling the brakes, engine output, and the movement of the front wheels.

■ Rear view monitor system,

■ PCS (Pre-Collision System)

The PCS warning light & Master warning lights have been on since 2017, with DTC B2051. This fault code is pretty useless, just pointing to the PCS system.
The local Lexus agent has been unable to define the specific module, or extinguish the warnings.
I have extinguished the lights by accessing the instrument cluster integrated circuit; Spurious signal identified & inhibited.

CONFIRMATION OF Radar & Camera SIGNAL INTEGRITY
Radar

Adaptive Cruise Control & DABC autonomous braking are both serviceable.

Camera

LKA Is serviceable.

PCS Anunciator remains on central digital display, but is not a problem. (Here in New Zealand the two warnings put the vehicle off the road, if you have a tough inspector at the annual "Warrant of Fitness" inspection.
I suspect the Seat belt module, as both radar & camera are OK (see above), but that's just a guess.

Has anyone had this, or a similar problem?
Any comments / advice appreciated.
Tony

Old 03-28-23, 09:26 PM
Brokerk000
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Tony2214
This is an old thread, so we'll see if this gets any responses. My 2005 Gen 3 GS430 (Japanese domestic market model) has a whole bunch of options;*■ ABS (Anti-lock Brake System)

Restrains the vehicle from slipping when driving on slick road surfaces or in the event of sudden braking.

BA (Brake Assist)

Generates an increased level of braking force after the brake pedal is depressed, when the system detects a panic stop situation.

■ Cruise control

(Dynamic radar cruise control),

■ VSC (Vehicle Stability Control)

Helps the driver to control skidding when swerving suddenly or turning on slippery road surfaces.

■ TRAC (Traction Control)

Maintains drive power and prevents the rear wheels from spinning when starting the vehicle or accelerating on slippery roads.

■ Hill-start assist control.

Helps prevent the vehicle from rolling backwards when starting on an incline or slippery slope. It operates for approximately 5 seconds at maxi*mum.

■ Intuitive parking assist,

■ VGRS (Variable Gear Ratio Steering)

Adjusts the wheel turning angle in accordance with the vehicle speed and steering wheel movement.

■ EPS (Electric Power Steering)

Employs an electric motor to reduce the amount of effort needed to turn the steering wheel.

Active stabilizer suspension system , turns at smaller angles to maintain the stable vehicle posture

■ AVS (Adaptive Variable Suspension System)

Roll Bars Shock Absorbers,

■ VDIM (Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management)

Provides integrated control of the ABS, VSC, TRAC, hill-start assist con*trol, VGRS and EPS systems. Maintains vehicle stability when swerving on slippery road surfaces by controlling the brakes, engine output, and the movement of the front wheels.

■ Rear view monitor system,

■ PCS (Pre-Collision System)

The PCS warning light & Master warning lights have been on since 2017, with DTC B2051. This fault code is pretty useless, just pointing to the PCS system.
The local Lexus agent has been unable to define the specific module, or extinguish the warnings.
I have extinguished the lights by accessing the instrument cluster integrated circuit; Spurious signal identified & inhibited.

CONFIRMATION OF Radar & Camera SIGNAL INTEGRITY
Radar

Adaptive Cruise Control & DABC autonomous braking are both serviceable.

Camera

LKA Is serviceable.

PCS Anunciator remains on central digital display, but is not a problem. (Here in New Zealand the two warnings put the vehicle off the road, if you have a tough inspector at the annual "Warrant of Fitness" inspection.
I suspect the Seat belt module, as both radar & camera are OK (see above), but that's just a guess.

Has anyone had this, or a similar problem?
Any comments / advice appreciated.
Tony
I am currently having this issue with my 2005 gs430 vtnz failed the wof last week so I took it to the local auto sparkey they said there was no fault relating to pcs but the light is still on on the dash.
vtnz also see it as pedestrian collision system not pre collision system relating to the cruise control.
on top of that everything I have read up says that if pcs light is on Cruise control shouldn't be available but it is and it works as I should from factory so I'm stumped I cannot get a wof because I have a light going on the dash that I cannot remove. If you managed to fix this issue please get back to me.
Old 03-29-23, 06:42 PM
Tony2214
Driver School Candidate

Hi Brokerk000. I've seen your post, and it looks like you have a similar problem (identical?) to mine. Ironic that you are a kiwi too, VTNZ aren't making life easy! some questions & comments follow;
1. Is yours a Japanese Domestic Market vehicle like mine?
2. Is it an early Gen 3 like mine?
3. VTNZ is correct about the Pedestrian Detection System, but this is a sub-function of the Pre Collision System, using the same radar sensor & camera. PCS definitely means Pre-Collision System.
4. You mention the PCS as "relating to the Cruise Control". That is correct insofar as the radar sensor & camera are used by both the Adaptive Cruise Control and the PCS (together with the DABC (Driver Assist Brake Control, if fitted). But they are separate systems. You are correct in saying that Adaptive Crz Control functionality is proof of good input signals.
5. What lights do you have illuminated on the dash? Amber PCS? Red Master Warning (!)? PCS annunciation in the instrument panel/Multi Info Display?
6. Have you tried turning off the PCS? The off switch is either via the steering wheel control switch for the multi-info display screen (select the cog (gear), then PCS, then turn off). or
It may be alongside the Tyre Pressure Warning reset switch under the glove box (this is where mine is). This won't help, as it won't stay off when next powered up, but it shows that the system is not required by the manufacturer, in order for the vehicle to be driven.

Finally, you will probably have to find a sympathetic Testing Station / Mechanic, who is prepared to make the effort to understand the system. Most won't, and simply refuse the WOF, without any understanding. Even then, you're going to have to get the red & amber lights extinguished, because no-one will give it a WOF with them on.
I may be able to help further, depending on your replies to the questions above. If necessary you can contact me on tonyray2214@gmail.com
Old 03-29-23, 07:10 PM
Brokerk000
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Tony2214
Hi Brokerk000. I've seen your post, and it looks like you have a similar problem (identical?) to mine. Ironic that you are a kiwi too, VTNZ aren't making life easy! some questions & comments follow;
1. Is yours a Japanese Domestic Market vehicle like mine?
2. Is it an early Gen 3 like mine?
3. VTNZ is correct about the Pedestrian Detection System, but this is a sub-function of the Pre Collision System, using the same radar sensor & camera. PCS definitely means Pre-Collision System.
4. You mention the PCS as "relating to the Cruise Control". That is correct insofar as the radar sensor & camera are used by both the Adaptive Cruise Control and the PCS (together with the DABC (Driver Assist Brake Control, if fitted). But they are separate systems. You are correct in saying that Adaptive Crz Control functionality is proof of good input signals.
5. What lights do you have illuminated on the dash? Amber PCS? Red Master Warning (!)? PCS annunciation in the instrument panel/Multi Info Display?
6. Have you tried turning off the PCS? The off switch is either via the steering wheel control switch for the multi-info display screen (select the cog (gear), then PCS, then turn off). or
It may be alongside the Tyre Pressure Warning reset switch under the glove box (this is where mine is). This won't help, as it won't stay off when next powered up, but it shows that the system is not required by the manufacturer, in order for the vehicle to be driven.

Finally, you will probably have to find a sympathetic Testing Station / Mechanic, who is prepared to make the effort to understand the system. Most won't, and simply refuse the WOF, without any understanding. Even then, you're going to have to get the red & amber lights extinguished, because no-one will give it a WOF with them on.
I may be able to help further, depending on your replies to the questions above. If necessary you can contact me on tonyray2214@gmail.com
Gen 3 2005 gs430 jdm import.
the red master warning ⚠️ and the pcs is flashing not solid.
Bindon auto electrical said they found 0 faults and cant clear the light on the dash. Basically said bring it back for 3 more days and we will repeat the scan over and over. Which will reveal nothing if they have done it 5 times already.
I'm currently getting an opinion from another wof shop and see what they say.
I really don't want to remove the light or black it out.
Old 07-22-23, 07:00 PM
Tony2214
Driver School Candidate

Hi Brokerk000, how did you go with the PCS problem?
Cheers, Tony