GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 450h Questions about lowering

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 10:28 AM
rareXair
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS 450h Questions about lowering

Hey,

I got a couple questions, first off, can you lower a GS 450h with adaptive variable suspension (AVS)? Also the car has, Active Power Stabilizer System, I was told by some people I can't lower, I was thinking about doing Air Runners, but I'm having second thoughts, mainly because of the 2 options this car has and also the limited rear trunk space of the GS 450h.

Lastly, if I plan to keep this car for only a couple years, would you guys still go all out on modifying or no, I know of course I won't see any returns in mods, but I plan on getting some custom made HRE's for the GS, car is clean and paid for but I plan on selling once the extended warranty ends (I have the Lexus Platinum one for 7 years)
Old 04-16-09, 10:33 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, a few people lowered theirs. Look in this thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-work-sc2.html or you may speak to Stormforge. I'm sure he can answer some of the questions you may have. Although, I'm not too sure about air runners.....
Old 04-16-09, 10:36 AM
rareXair
Driver

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Yes, a few people lowered theirs. Look in this thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-work-sc2.html or you may speak to Stormforge. I'm sure he can answer some of the questions you may have. Although, I'm not too sure about air runners.....
Yes but I want to do coils or air and I have active stabilizer and adaptive suspension which work with the dampers, so I'm confused what route I can take, I talked to a few shops they said it works if I didn't have those 2 options but they weren't willing to start working on the car unless I can get a confirmed answer.
Old 04-16-09, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you can lower the car no problem. depends on what you do, you might lose avs. not that big of a deal imho. you can also do air, i have seen that done too

i am not 100% but i don't see how lowering will affect the apsss

regarding mods, you should be the one to justify. to me, i mod it even lease. it's just about passion
Old 04-16-09, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rareXair
Yes but I want to do coils or air and I have active stabilizer and adaptive suspension which work with the dampers, so I'm confused what route I can take, I talked to a few shops they said it works if I didn't have those 2 options but they weren't willing to start working on the car unless I can get a confirmed answer.
avs is adjustment on the stock shocks. that's why if you get coilover you lose that functionality coz' there is nothing to control using avs buttons. if you do air, and if you use the stock shocks, i actually think maybe you can still use the avs buttons
Old 04-16-09, 10:46 AM
rareXair
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
you can lower the car no problem. depends on what you do, you might lose avs. not that big of a deal imho. you can also do air, i have seen that done too

i am not 100% but i don't see how lowering will affect the apsss

regarding mods, you should be the one to justify. to me, i mod it even lease. it's just about passion
APSSS was one reason I got this specific car

I got another 'toy' to mod and I'm just thinking if I should turn the GS into one, but it seems like I'll run into so many headaches with these options!

I started modding the little stuff, put on Huper Optik Ceramic tint, and for the HID stuff I did 6k on low, 5k on high and 6k on fogs, matches very well, and I also changed out the parking light. Ohh yeah also took off front plates (since the dealer decided it was a good idea to put it on )
Old 04-16-09, 10:50 AM
LexFather

You have to drop it. I mean, you have too. As Henry stated, if you will AVS with coils but you got coils so you can adjust them anyway (EDFC etc).

With bags, hell they are bags, you can do anything. I can't tell you to modify it but again as Henry said, its about "passion" for this sport and I will modify my 450h.

Oh and I HEART the Mini Cooper. My pops had the original. I would so love to have one for canyon runs
Old 04-16-09, 11:18 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

rareXair, everything that rominl said is correct. the question is what type of lowering you want to go with.

if you go with springs (like me), you get to keep the AVS function. if you go with bags or coilovers, you lose the AVS function.

apsss function is your sways, has nothing to do with lowering, so you have nothing to worry about. in fact, your handling should be even better once you're lowered with apsss.

an ex-450h CL member (timetoy) also lowered on springs; he has switched over to an IS-F last year. you can also do a search in this forum to see his pics. i can't remember correctly, but i do recall timetoy mentioning that the install was more time consuming (?) because of the apsss system. you could send a PM to him to confirm this.

Last edited by Stormforge; 04-16-09 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-16-09, 11:21 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
....and I will modify my 450h.

i noticed ^^ and your sig...didn't know you got the 450h! congrats! what are your mod plans? btw, you were on an acura forum long time ago right (acuratl.com or acuraworld)? your username is very unique!
Old 04-21-09, 12:29 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stormforge is correct.... I've lowered mine over a year ago on tanabe nf210, and have no problems with AVS so far (I use that a lot). Also, I don't see the car drop more over time on those springs, which was my main concern. You should know none of available suspension mods were tested with 450h (400lbs heavier than gs350) at that time, and I don't think there are any as of today (correct me if I'm wrong). Overall this mod was worth the risk. Car looks much better sitting closer to the road, and handling improvement was huge. You will also get to keep comfy ride, which I really prefer when driving on bumpy roads.

Good Luck with your mods!
Old 04-21-09, 01:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

400 is not that much of an issue on springs i think. 3 passengers in the back with luggage and it can easily be 600lb
Old 04-21-09, 01:32 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
400 is not that much of an issue on springs i think. 3 passengers in the back with luggage and it can easily be 600lb
That's true, but do you carry them for 24/7/365????