GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Ac Vent Smell How Do I Get Rid Of The Smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 01:46 PM
hieu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac Vent Smell How Do I Get Rid Of The Smell

Does anyone know how to get rid of the mildew smell in the AC vent when i turn on the AC?
Old 07-29-08, 01:49 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you got mold growing...
Old 07-29-08, 01:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,310 Posts

This thread in the detailing forum has three methods to help, one may work for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/81943-mildew-smell-from-ac.html
Old 07-29-08, 01:56 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this a common problem with the GS? Reason I ask is I am parting ways with my IS and looking at a few GS. A local member is helping me find one.

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-29-08, 01:59 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Is this a common problem with the GS? Reason I ask is I am parting ways with my IS and looking at a few GS. A local member is helping me find one.

Thanks
Mike
it's not manufactures-specific, it's a problem possible for all cars especially if you always run ac in recirculation mode in a high humidity area

bacteria can grow anywhere
Old 07-29-08, 02:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Thank you
Old 07-29-08, 04:56 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev
it's not manufactures-specific, it's a problem possible for all cars especially if you always run ac in recirculation mode in a high humidity area

bacteria can grow anywhere
Haven't had that problem... yet. Hopefully never will and I'm down in sunny/muggy fl.
Old 07-29-08, 10:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

no issues with the lex, but I had that prob in my G35 when it got older. Its good to know theres something you can do or have the dealership do for you.
Old 07-30-08, 06:55 AM
hieu
Rookie

thanks everyone.... i had the car for three years now so it starting to smell bad for a minute then the ac get cold nomore smell.. i live in florida now
Old 08-18-08, 04:06 AM
supermaz
Driver School Candidate

My car has done 10,000 miles and I have started to get a wierd smell when the air circulation is set to bringing air in with and without a/c same problem?
Old 08-18-08, 08:02 AM
slow_3.0
Rookie

Originally Posted by passnu2

Thanks
Mike
i have the same issue.
Old 08-18-08, 06:28 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a weird smell form the vents when only air flowed through. As soon as the AC or defrost was put on, the smell would go away. The awful part is it did not smell like the traditional old sock smell that commonly occurs with mold and old cabin filters. This smelled like old urine. I twice tried the Lysol in the window cowl for three days, I tried spraying AC disinfectant right into the air box with the fan going. Nothing seemed to work. Because the odor was of old urine, my worst fear was that small rodents had taken up residence in the duct works. Strange as it may seem, it happens.

After a few weeks of failing home remedies, I took it in to the Lexus dealer. The "misted" the car. My serviceship has this new box that emits a mist not unlike those old ultrasonic humidifiers of the 80's and 90's. A chemical fog fills the car and AC system and kills virtually all bad odors. They have to replace the cabin filter (which I had just done) and it takes about 1 and a half hours (all for $150). Totally cool and it worked perfectly.

By the way, they did find tiny rodent droppings up under the hood.

steviej
Old 08-18-08, 11:51 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steviej
....This smelled like old urine. I twice tried the Lysol in the window cowl for three days,.... Because the odor was of old urine, my worst fear was that small rodents had taken up residence in the duct works. Strange as it may seem, it happens.

After a few weeks of failing home remedies, I took it in to the Lexus dealer.... it takes about 1 and a half hours (all for $150). Totally cool and it worked perfectly.

By the way, they did find tiny rodent droppings up under the hood.

steviej
Seriously?? Some rodents weed under your car hood? I have the urine smell back a few months ago and 80% of it went away itself after 2 months. I also can't fix it no matter what I try. I wonder if I should take it to the dealer and spend $150. You really scared the hell out of me about the rodent crap...
Old 08-19-08, 03:23 PM
etb717
Driver School Candidate

You have a cabin air filter located in the glove box. I'd try replacing it first. Either let Lexus do it or if you do it yourself, I'd recommend sticking with the charcoal filter that lexus provides. Also, if you do it yourself, MAKE SURE to read the manual as it states the recirculation mode it has to be in before you remove the filter. If you mess this up, it can break the part that opens and closes the air recirculation. Apparently its very easy to break. I believe the manual states it has to be in recirculation mode, but I'd doublecheck. Good luck.
Old 08-19-08, 05:10 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by etb717
I'd recommend sticking with the charcoal filter that lexus provides.
Unfortunately, the filters coming out of Lexus are not charcoal anymore. They are just a fabric covered foam mesh now. Cheap, but yet you still pay $40 for it.

Quick Reply: Ac Vent Smell How Do I Get Rid Of The Smell