ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011-153/)
-   -   Ac Vent Smell How Do I Get Rid Of The Smell (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-3rd-gen-2006-2011/370250-ac-vent-smell-how-do-i-get-rid-of-the-smell.html)

hieu 07-29-08 01:46 PM

Ac Vent Smell How Do I Get Rid Of The Smell

Does anyone know how to get rid of the mildew smell in the AC vent when i turn on the AC?

whlkev 07-29-08 01:49 PM

you got mold growing...

DaveGS4 07-29-08 01:53 PM

This thread in the detailing forum has three methods to help, one may work for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/81943-mildew-smell-from-ac.html

passnu2 07-29-08 01:56 PM

Is this a common problem with the GS? Reason I ask is I am parting ways with my IS and looking at a few GS. A local member is helping me find one.

Thanks
Mike

whlkev 07-29-08 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by passnu2 (Post 3716777)
Is this a common problem with the GS? Reason I ask is I am parting ways with my IS and looking at a few GS. A local member is helping me find one.

Thanks
Mike

it's not manufactures-specific, it's a problem possible for all cars especially if you always run ac in recirculation mode in a high humidity area

bacteria can grow anywhere

passnu2 07-29-08 02:01 PM

^^ Thank you:)

ek9vboi 07-29-08 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by whlkev (Post 3716789)
it's not manufactures-specific, it's a problem possible for all cars especially if you always run ac in recirculation mode in a high humidity area

bacteria can grow anywhere

Haven't had that problem... yet. Hopefully never will and I'm down in sunny/muggy fl.

I8ABMR 07-29-08 10:05 PM

no issues with the lex, but I had that prob in my G35 when it got older. Its good to know theres something you can do or have the dealership do for you.

hieu 07-30-08 06:55 AM

thanks everyone.... i had the car for three years now so it starting to smell bad for a minute then the ac get cold nomore smell.. i live in florida now

supermaz 08-18-08 04:06 AM

My car has done 10,000 miles and I have started to get a wierd smell when the air circulation is set to bringing air in with and without a/c same problem?

slow_3.0 08-18-08 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by passnu2 (Post 3716777)

Thanks
Mike

i have the same issue.

steviej 08-18-08 06:28 PM

I had a weird smell form the vents when only air flowed through. As soon as the AC or defrost was put on, the smell would go away. The awful part is it did not smell like the traditional old sock smell that commonly occurs with mold and old cabin filters. This smelled like old urine. I twice tried the Lysol in the window cowl for three days, I tried spraying AC disinfectant right into the air box with the fan going. Nothing seemed to work. Because the odor was of old urine, my worst fear was that small rodents had taken up residence in the duct works. Strange as it may seem, it happens.

After a few weeks of failing home remedies, I took it in to the Lexus dealer. The "misted" the car. My serviceship has this new box that emits a mist not unlike those old ultrasonic humidifiers of the 80's and 90's. A chemical fog fills the car and AC system and kills virtually all bad odors. They have to replace the cabin filter (which I had just done) and it takes about 1 and a half hours (all for $150). Totally cool and it worked perfectly.

By the way, they did find tiny rodent droppings up under the hood.

steviej

memasterac 08-18-08 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by steviej (Post 3765485)
....This smelled like old urine. I twice tried the Lysol in the window cowl for three days,.... Because the odor was of old urine, my worst fear was that small rodents had taken up residence in the duct works. Strange as it may seem, it happens.

After a few weeks of failing home remedies, I took it in to the Lexus dealer.... it takes about 1 and a half hours (all for $150). Totally cool and it worked perfectly.

By the way, they did find tiny rodent droppings up under the hood.

steviej

Seriously??:eek2: Some rodents weed under your car hood? I have the urine smell back a few months ago and 80% of it went away itself after 2 months. I also can't fix it no matter what I try. I wonder if I should take it to the dealer and spend $150. You really scared the hell out of me about the rodent crap...

etb717 08-19-08 03:23 PM

You have a cabin air filter located in the glove box. I'd try replacing it first. Either let Lexus do it or if you do it yourself, I'd recommend sticking with the charcoal filter that lexus provides. Also, if you do it yourself, MAKE SURE to read the manual as it states the recirculation mode it has to be in before you remove the filter. If you mess this up, it can break the part that opens and closes the air recirculation. Apparently its very easy to break. I believe the manual states it has to be in recirculation mode, but I'd doublecheck. Good luck.

steviej 08-19-08 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by etb717 (Post 3767796)
I'd recommend sticking with the charcoal filter that lexus provides.

Unfortunately, the filters coming out of Lexus are not charcoal anymore. They are just a fabric covered foam mesh now. Cheap, but yet you still pay $40 for it.