GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sirius/Vaistech installed tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 03:30 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius/Vaistech installed tonight.

I just thought I would share some info regarding my Vaistech SLS/Sirius install. The Vaistech kit is a very high quality kit. It's very obvious that the guys @ Vaistech pay attention to detail. The wiring harnesses are absolutely indistinguishable from Lexus parts. Very impressive Vaistech!

As far as the install, it's pretty straightforward and if you did the DVD/nav hack, you shouldn't have any problems with this. Everything plugs in nicely but the biggest PITA is trying to find a place for the SLS box and the Sirius Connect box. There simply isn't any room in there! I ended up placing the Vaistech box on the left side of the tunnel and it actually fit perfectly. I also found that the Sirius Connect box fit perfectly on top of the black box that sits above the nav screen. If you take it apart you will see what I mean. I ended up using high strength double sided foam tape.

I had my original Sirius antenna on the roof of the car and it worked beautifully without a single dropout. I tried the rear shelf area and it absolutely positively does not compare. I had 3 dropouts in 1 mile. The roof is the only way to go with Sirius. I am certain that the rear shelf will work with XM but not with Sirius. For some reason, XM reception is far better than Sirius. I have similar issues with Sirius reception in my offices but no problem with XM. I ended up placing the antenna on the roof again and it's perfect. The sound quality is amazing and even better than the tape adapter. I know that sounds silly but the tape adapter is leaps and bounds better than sat radio through an FM freq.

Overall, everything works beautifully and sounds even better. Thanks Vaistech! Now if you could only figure out how to get rid of the "I agree" prompt, it would be perfect.

Also, wish me luck guys, my car GS goes in tomorrow morning for the windshield rattle TSIB.
Old 12-21-06, 05:02 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
For some reason, XM reception is far better than Sirius. I have similar issues with Sirius reception in my offices but no problem with XM.
I read somewhere a while back (maybe xm411.com ??) that in addition to Rock, Roll, Rhythm (and now) Blues, XM has terrestrial repeaters for their signal in addition to of the aforementioned satellites.... this seems to provide them with a coverage edge over Sirius in some markets. I have the OEM Sirius in my Mercedes, and it drops out a lot more compared to my XM, which I hardly ever lose signal on it seems... ymmv....
Old 12-21-06, 05:38 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't sharkfin in '07 GS350 has XM antenna built-in?

Robert, thanks for a write-up. I'm getting my Sirius installed by dealer next Tuesday. My only concern now is that I insisted for them to install it on a rear deck next to the break light, hmm.... They told me the best reception spot for Sirius will be on a trunk, but due to a scissor mechanism and a ribbon wires, there is no other clean way to connect antenna from the car to the trunk and they will have to place it on a side rear fender. No way am I going to place a black puck antenna on a fender of a silver car. Than, I read a lot of posts from people on East Coast having absolutely no problem with Sirius antenna inside of the car placed on a rear deck. Could it just be an issue of West Coast vs East Coast geographic location?
Old 12-21-06, 11:10 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Isn't sharkfin in '07 GS350 has XM antenna built-in?

Robert, thanks for a write-up. I'm getting my Sirius installed by dealer next Tuesday. My only concern now is that I insisted for them to install it on a rear deck next to the break light, hmm.... They told me the best reception spot for Sirius will be on a trunk, but due to a scissor mechanism and a ribbon wires, there is no other clean way to connect antenna from the car to the trunk and they will have to place it on a side rear fender. No way am I going to place a black puck antenna on a fender of a silver car. Than, I read a lot of posts from people on East Coast having absolutely no problem with Sirius antenna inside of the car placed on a rear deck. Could it just be an issue of West Coast vs East Coast geographic location?
Definitely! I would imagine that with any satellite, line of sight would be different depending on where you are located. I have no problems at all with the factory installed Sirius in my GL450 but that antenna is on the roof just underneath the rear sunroof glass. I just got back from taking my GS to the dealership for the dash rattle and didn't have any dropouts at all. It's nice to listen to something other than CDs again!
Old 12-21-06, 12:16 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely forgot about Izzone's reply to my older post about antenna placement. I'm leaning more toward this solution which keeps antenna outside, yet out of sight.

The only concern here is rear window defroster when its on, although since its only a dc-voltage I assume it should not cause any RF interference. Also, it is being blocked from the right side But, thinking outloud, we shouldn't expect any direct signal coming from the right side of horizontal plane?
Old 12-21-06, 03:03 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I hate to say this but that's one ugly shadow!
Old 12-21-06, 03:56 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

I hate to say this but that's one ugly shadow!
Good one 2thfixr. Best laugh I've had all day long.
Old 12-21-06, 04:31 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Now if you could only figure out how to get rid of the "I agree" prompt, it would be perfect.
Whoa.... wait a sec... I thought this kit got rid of that prompt after like 5 seconds.... did I miss something / a post saying this doesn't work now???

I should get to mine this weekend to install.... but I am curious why it isn't working for you.... thanks.
Old 12-21-06, 06:57 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jaxgs350
Whoa.... wait a sec... I thought this kit got rid of that prompt after like 5 seconds.... did I miss something / a post saying this doesn't work now???

I should get to mine this weekend to install.... but I am curious why it isn't working for you.... thanks.
It only does that on the SLI or the IPOD kit, I asked them and they said that the SLS kit doesn't do it for you.
Old 12-21-06, 07:00 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Rats... sorry to hear that. Maybe they will get this added soon and you can get an upgraded unit. I am looking forward to getting mine installed this weekend and hooking my Nano up without the
FM transmitter cable I currently use....