GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Acura TL to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 11:53 AM
omr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is exactly what I am in the process of doing
Old 12-18-06, 12:04 PM
LexuSen
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by nore03
I want a car that I can say that yes I am the only one around here with this(sounds crazy but thats me).
You might consider buying a Bugatti Veyron then
Old 12-18-06, 01:39 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't even think about the RL, the car is terrible a flop. It is such a slow seller they are heving to heavily discount them to move them in any decent numbers. I know not one but several people who were head over heals over the RL and all but one bit the bullet and sold the car WITHIN A YEAR because of the problems, unconfortable seats, and poor Acura service. They took a deep hit in the pocketbook for doing this too. The one who kept it is unhappy with it but doenst want to take the hit and is waiting for a deal on an LS to trade it in early next year. Don't buy an Acura, you'll be sorry, go for the GS!
Old 12-18-06, 01:44 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Don't even think about the RL, the car is terrible a flop. It is such a slow seller they are heving to heavily discount them to move them in any decent numbers. I know not one but several people who were head over heals over the RL and all but one bit the bullet and sold the car WITHIN A YEAR because of the problems, unconfortable seats, and poor Acura service. They took a deep hit in the pocketbook for doing this too. The one who kept it is unhappy with it but doenst want to take the hit and is waiting for a deal on an LS to trade it in early next year. Don't buy an Acura, you'll be sorry, go for the GS!
I don't know what happened to Acura. You would think they would have the same reliability as a Honda. My first premium car was an Acura and was by far the worst car I ever owned. It was a 91 Legend. Terrible car. I went from the Acura to a 97 ES which was nice and then hopped over to BMW for several cars. The Lexus and BMW's have been a pleasure to own compared to the Acura Legend.
Old 12-18-06, 01:55 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I went from a Mdx to a IS350 - does that count ???
btw - I would do it all over again in a heartbeat . . .
Old 12-18-06, 03:51 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

I went from an '00 TL to an '01 GS430 quite a bit back and it was a great move. The TL was a good car for the money, but the GS was literally my "mistress" (as my wife put it) for the years I owned it. The Lexus ownership experience is night-and-day better than the Acura ownership experience, and I speak of this not just based on the TL but also an MDX we had for a few years that we just sold last week. I'm driving an Audi now and that ownership experience is somewhere between the two, but closer to Lexus than Acura overall. However, if Lexus released an IS-F or GS-F with a real manual I'm pretty sure I'd scrape whatever I had to to get it! It was that pleased with the Lexus ownership experience including the quality of the car, the aesthetics, the reliability, the service, etc.
Old 12-19-06, 10:19 AM
nore03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexuSen
You might consider buying a Bugatti Veyron then
Well that was on the top of my list but unfortunately Mr. 50 cent lives a town away from me and he has one and i dont want us sharing the same car.
Old 12-19-06, 10:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Just get a different color
Old 12-20-06, 11:38 PM
foshizzle
Rookie

I had a 99 TL, I loved it. My 06 GS300, I love it even more.
Old 12-21-06, 06:39 AM
davidkl
Driver School Candidate

I've got an 04 TL and a new 07 GS 350. I had 3 GS's (300, 400, 430) before the 350 and went to the TL before the AWD came out - got tired of RWD in the snow. The TL is a great car for the money - about $11k less than the 350. It is well designed with clean lines and simple operation. That said, the 350 feels much more powerful and is much quieter. Speaking on the same bluetooth phone doing 80 in the TL is much noisier than the GS. The nav system (if that's a consideration) is much quicker in the GS, but that may have changed since I'm comparing a new system to one that's 3 years old. The GS screen lock when moving is a PITA compared to the Acura - although I understand there are ways to get around it by modifying the system (if you want to start with that). The TL screen is full-function all the time, which is nice. Then there's FWD vs AWD. I will say the TL with Blizzaks handles very well in the Vermont snowy mountains - no issues there. The TL comes with HID standard - GS is an upgrade. TL XM standard, GS dealer add-on. In summary - you'll do well in either car.
Good luck.
Old 12-21-06, 07:43 AM
xxx
Driver School Candidate

I almost pulled the trigger on a GS350 a few months ago. My Job is 100% commissions and the next few years are expected to be on the decline. So, I picked up a TL 2005 w/ Nav. W/ 26K miles i felt OK paying $25,500 for it. After driving both cars I would agree that you cannot compare them because they are in different classes. The TL is pretty quick, but the front torque can be annoying.

I could never see myself spending more for than mid 20's for a TL. I could see myself spending quite a bit more for a 07/08 GS350 in a year or two.

Last edited by xxx; 12-21-06 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 10:31 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Here we go again with this debate. The car has been a sales disappointment for three reasons.

1) a V8 option isn't available for people who get hung up on that stuff
2) Acura has no clue on how to market a $50K car. Never had.
3) I will agree on the dealers.

I don't know where you're coming from on the uncomfortable seats, every review on the RL mentions that it has some of the most comfortable front seats out there.

We had an RL/GS discussion thread turn ugly a while ago.

If you're comparing car to car, the RL matches up to the GS very well, it actually beat out the GS 300AWD in every road test review. Now the GS 350 may be a different story. When I was buying it was between a GS300AWD and the RL. I really liked the GS, still do, but the RL won me over as the overall package.

If you want to compare Acura vs. Lexus, I will agree with you 100%. Acura has a way to go to get consistency among all of their dealerships. I'm fortunate that I have a great one.

Go over to the Acura RL boards, most if not all the owners there love their cars.