GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Poor fit and finish on Nav center area??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 11:13 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Poor fit and finish on Nav center area??

Has anyone noticed the fit and finish on the seam between the center control area and the dashboard? I saw today that the nav center area is not evenly flush against the black dash. I took some pics but they do not explain what I'm talking about very well.

Does anyone else notice this? I am sure it's a fix the dealer can do, but it sucks this wasn't caught during QC at the plant. Basically, as you look around the edge of the control center, you can see that it's not even all the way around , from the ashtray, to the upper left of left vent, to the upper right of right vent, and back down to the lighter, you can see that the thing is not set evenly . . . call me picky, but man it's annoying.

Here's a pic: you can't tell from the horrible flash, but the left side of my center control panel is more "sunken" from the seam w/ dash than the right side.

Old 03-25-05, 02:22 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
Has anyone noticed the fit and finish on the seam between the center control area and the dashboard? I saw today that the nav center area is not evenly flush against the black dash. I took some pics but they do not explain what I'm talking about very well.

Does anyone else notice this? I am sure it's a fix the dealer can do, but it sucks this wasn't caught during QC at the plant. Basically, as you look around the edge of the control center, you can see that it's not even all the way around , from the ashtray, to the upper left of left vent, to the upper right of right vent, and back down to the lighter, you can see that the thing is not set evenly . . . call me picky, but man it's annoying.

Here's a pic: you can't tell from the horrible flash, but the left side of my center control panel is more "sunken" from the seam w/ dash than the right side.
I have the same issue. It also irritates me. Not certain it can easily be fixed. According to VVTI who posted the thread about removing the Nav screen (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156160), you cannot remove the vents they are attached to the dash. That appears to be where the gap problem is.
Old 03-25-05, 05:16 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default There is some variation of flush fit on that seam

This has been discussed on another thread and we have noticed this from the first shipment at the dealership. I didn't think it was that serious as I was playing with our new toy. My prescient Service Director Paul thought it was going to be a big issue as we are striving for perfection etc. Obviously I was wrong. It may not be any solace but it is a common condition and not an occasional occurence. Once you are aware of it you cannot help but scrutinize and stare. Stare at the instrument panel if you need to and put blinders on... Sorry, I do not know of a fix at this time.
Old 03-25-05, 05:34 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sat in 4 GS's at the dealer. Of the 4 cars, 1 had the misalignment of the left panel where it meets the A/C vents (it was sunken in slightly) and one had an uneven fitment where the top of the vents meet the dash. The other two had no noticable fit/finish issues. Let's hope my GS430, which should be here June/July doesn't have this problem.
Old 03-25-05, 06:56 AM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LexusLover - yes, unfortunately my GS300 has this same problem. I have griped about this on 2 or 3 other threads. I'm surprised that I didn't notice it until after I took delivery but now that I have it really irks me! It is one small flaw in an othewise great car. I try not to focus on it but it is hard to ignore. I'm really pissed that Lexus QC let these out of the factory!!! It must have been a Relentless Pursuit of Perfection Holiday that day! I guess this is the risk of buying one of the first few cars to roll off of the line.

As Rockville has mentioned on another thread, trying to fix it might just introduce more problems - like squeeks and rattles - which would bother me even more. I can avert my eyes from the center stack but I can't avert my ears!

Sorry to hear that you have this issue too.
Old 03-25-05, 09:33 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

hi everyone - thanks for the great feedback.

i expected something to be "off" on the first shipment of GS's, but the fit and finish of such a large/noticeable area seems a bit egregious to me. i bought one of the first RX330's and the fit and finish on that car is pretty dang good! (nevermind some of the other issues, but F/F is great)

i think this is one of lexus' first attempt at this flush-mount center control against the dash, with flush-mounted buttons and the whole new "clean" look. i am sure it will get better over time, but it's definitely a riskier proposition for them given the "pursuit of perfection".

i will certainly bring it up next week when i bring the car in for my personalization settings - i am hoping that a little bit of sturdy noise-dampening foam behind the sunken areas is enough to do the trick . . . cross your fingers!! will keep you posted . . .
Old 03-25-05, 09:50 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
hi everyone - thanks for the great feedback.

i will certainly bring it up next week when i bring the car in for my personalization settings - i am hoping that a little bit of sturdy noise-dampening foam behind the sunken areas is enough to do the trick . . . cross your fingers!! will keep you posted . . .
Sorry to hear you have a fitment problem.
If you are planning on asking the dealer to remove the center stack and fix the problem.

I STRONGLY suggest that you tape up the whole area around the center stack with double layer
of masking tape, you really really don't want that area to be stratched.......it is a much bigger
pain in the a$$ than a bit of uneven center stack.

good luck!!
Old 03-25-05, 09:59 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by TRD-bB
I STRONGLY suggest that you tape up the whole area around the center stack with double layer
of masking tape, you really really don't want that area to be stratched.......it is a much bigger
pain in the a$$ than a bit of uneven center stack.

good luck!!
thanks for the heads up; i will certainly put my foot down on this and accept no less! i would rather they admit they cannot do it before they break anything or scratch everything up.