GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

VDIM in the GS430 only

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 11:17 AM
azmike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDIM in the GS430 only

I see that VDIM is only available in the GS430. Could someone provide some more detail as to what VDIM is and how is will affect, if at all, the ride and performance of the GS430 vs the GS300?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-05, 11:20 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VDIM is an all-new system that integrates and manages a new Electronically Controlled Brake system (ECB), Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS), Electronic Power Steering (EPS), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), ABS, Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and engine torque via the electronically controlled throttle.

Monitoring a variety of sensors, the system is designed to anticipate the onset of a vehicle skid or slide and then help correct the situation with a combination of braking, throttle and steering control in a way that's essentially transparent to the driver. Data is gathered from more sources and processed earlier and faster than previous designs, helping to make VDIM less obtrusive yet highly effective.

unfortunately a lot of stuff is in the 430 and not the 300. If i'm going to pay 55k plus for a 430, i'd take it to the next level and the the mercedes CLS. That's an amazing car.
Old 02-06-05, 11:25 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

U wont be able to buy a CLS for under 75k, bro We are talkin 81K driveout
Old 02-06-05, 11:29 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well they are still selling it for 10k over msrp, but in a few months it should be msrp which is 65k
Old 02-06-05, 11:32 AM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by frebay
unfortunately a lot of stuff is in the 430 and not the 300. If i'm going to pay 55k plus for a 430, i'd take it to the next level and the the mercedes CLS. That's an amazing car.
Actually when we started looking at cars to replace my wife's BMW 5 we looked at the new MB CLS. I loved it. My wife hated it. On emotions I would have bought it right then. But you won't come close to getting this baby for $55K. You will pay full sticker and won't drive off for less near $70K or so. The MB E500, on which the CLS is based will sticker about $63K or so pretty much loaded but with just normal negotiation could be had for $57-58K. About the same as the MSRP of the loaded GS430.

Interstingly, if you price a nicely equiped LS430 at about $63K you could probably pick that up for about $58K. Again, in line with the new GS430.
Old 02-06-05, 12:28 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vdim

The new VDIM is proprietary to Lexus and will first be offered in the new GS430. It will then arrive in the RX400h. The Electric Power steering gives it more functions than the older skid control system. The 430 gets the AVS ( 4 way adjustable dampers) Suspension. The GS430 stickers here in the East for $58,234. Market conditions vary but LS430's with the Modern Luxury package are now available for the same money. The LS430 is quite a bargain and gets up to 60 in 5.9 seconds with plenty of space and luxury. It doesn't have the VDIM, New Mark Lev, New park assist, Electric steering, AVS etc. of the '06 GS though.....
Old 02-06-05, 06:07 PM
azmike
Rookie

Default Once again you educated me Rock...

I know the GS and LS are two different type vehicles but it did strike me that the top Lexus luxury sedan was the same effective price as the new top luxury sports sedan, the GS.

However, I did not know that the LS430 had:

the old ML stereo
an older parking assist
no electric steering

I assumed it didn't have the new VDIM and the AVS.

Will there be a slightly revised/updated 2006 LS430 will or they go directly to the new, redesigned 2007 LS430? I would expect the new technology to be in one of those models.

I also wonder, based on the GS pricing, if the new LS prices will be bumped up quite a bit.l I am sure MB will kick up the prices quite a bit on the newly restyled 2007 S class.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Rockville
The new VDIM is proprietary to Lexus and will first be offered in the new GS430. It will then arrive in the RX400h. The Electric Power steering gives it more functions than the older skid control system. The 430 gets the AVS ( 4 way adjustable dampers) Suspension. The GS430 stickers here in the East for $58,234. Market conditions vary but LS430's with the Modern Luxury package are now available for the same money. The LS430 is quite a bargain and gets up to 60 in 5.9 seconds with plenty of space and luxury. It doesn't have the VDIM, New Mark Lev, New park assist, Electric steering, AVS etc. of the '06 GS though.....
Old 02-06-05, 07:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by azmike
Actually when we started looking at cars to replace my wife's BMW 5 we looked at the new MB CLS. I loved it. My wife hated it.
Just curious, why did your wife hate it?
Old 02-06-05, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
The LS430 is quite a bargain and gets up to 60 in 5.9 seconds with plenty of space and luxury.
Yes, but a) it handles like a boat, and b) I expect Lexus will up the ante a lot with the new LS due in, what, '06 as an '07 model?

Also, comparing 'sticker GS430' with what you can get an LS430 is not a direct comparison. It's kinda like comparing a loaded E500 and a stripped S430.
Old 02-06-05, 10:34 PM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Just curious, why did your wife hate it?
Unlike me, just didn't like the styling. She also thought the back seat was too cramped.
Old 02-06-05, 10:34 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just Apples and Oranges

First I would have to say that the '04-'05 LS430 is a sleeper. It does not handle like a boat. When you titled the 1997 LS400 you needed numbers on the side and a fishing license. In '04 Lexus quietly went to high pressure gas shocks, ltd. slip differential and a six speed transmission with sequential shift. You will find them on the lot mostly with 18" rims. If you like spending Franklins equal to or less than an S500 you get an air suspension that doesn't fail like a "S" class does. The air suspension has a sport mode and can be lowered for high speed running. It will go toe to toe in performance with the S500 except it will use less gas than the S430 and not have a gas guzzler tax either. It also still has the best drag coefficient in the Industry. Lastly it has the fewest problems of any Sedan at any price in the world. It always wins the Super Lux shootouts. Mercedes and BMW's have a tendency to sit in the garage for days and weeks having parts flown in and patches downloaded. The owners come in totally P.Od. all of the time. Lastly 5.9 seconds to 60 in this category is domination. Lexus passed Mercedes a few years ago in sales and continues to pull away.

I was only comparing the prices of the LS and GS430's since they do bump up against each other in the current market. This has not happened before. The GS must make its own friends in its respective segment and the two contenders are the E class and the 5 series. With the new Lexus Finesse styling direction this will be an interesting horse race......
Old 02-06-05, 10:37 PM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes, but a) it handles like a boat, and b) I expect Lexus will up the ante a lot with the new LS due in, what, '06 as an '07 model?

Also, comparing 'sticker GS430' with what you can get an LS430 is not a direct comparison. It's kinda like comparing a loaded E500 and a stripped S430.
Actually, no. Both the GS and LS are loaded.

But it is like comparing 2 different vehicles which I conceded. My point was if one was considering a Leux with a lot more luxury than sport (LS) they might think twice. Certainly, most posters on this board would not be so inclined. But for some it might cause them to pause before pulling the trigger.
Old 02-06-05, 11:00 PM
azmike
Rookie

Default "Picking your brains a little more..."

Rock- you gave us a mini-comparision below of the MB S class vs the Lexus LS. I am curious, particulary with your MB background, for a similar comparision between the 2005 MB E500 and the 2006 GS430. Since I believe the out the door price of each will be similar. That is based on MSRP for the GS and about $7K off the E's MSRP.

......[/QUOTE]
(Rockville]First I would have to say that the '04-'05 LS430 is a sleeper. It does not handle like a boat. When you titled the 1997 LS400 you needed numbers on the side and a fishing license. In '04 Lexus quietly went to high pressure gas shocks, ltd. slip differential and a six speed transmission with sequential shift. You will find them on the lot mostly with 18" rims. If you like spending Franklins equal to or less than an S500 you get an air suspension that doesn't fail like a "S" class does. The air suspension has a sport mode and can be lowered for high speed running. It will go toe to toe in performance with the S500 except it will use less gas than the S430 and not have a gas guzzler tax either. It also still has the best drag coefficient in the Industry. Lastly it has the fewest problems of any Sedan at any price in the world. It always wins the Super Lux shootouts. Mercedes and BMW's have a tendency to sit in the garage for days and weeks having parts flown in and patches downloaded. The owners come in totally P.Od. all of the time. Lastly 5.9 seconds to 60 in this category is domination. Lexus passed Mercedes a few years ago in sales and continues to pull away.

I was only comparing the prices of the LS and GS430's since they do bump up against each other in the current market. This has not happened before. The GS must make its own friends in its respective segment and the two contenders are the E class and the 5 series. With the new Lexus Finesse styling direction this will be an interesting horse race......[/QUOTE]