GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS/M35/45/RL comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-04, 02:34 PM
LexFather

Default GS/M35/45/RL comparisons

The GS has been the greatest sport luxury sedan from Japan ever. Period. WIth the new RL and Infiniti M35/45, the new GS has its work out cut for it. Here are some comparison pics.

Old 12-27-04, 02:42 PM
LexFather

It really is a battle between the GS and M. The RL still offers no V-8. Looking at pics, the GS interior, you can see how well built it is. Look at how small the gaps are in the interior. THe RL has some big gaps and not a dime of wood on the console. The M45 looks very good, the best interior Nissan has ever made.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101448
Autoweeks 1st drive of the M. Very good review. Still, a stretched 350Z platform but they say its tons better than the old platform. Biker has posted in another thread the M35 trounced the RL in a track review.

The GS is so secretive. Hardly any pics in any magazines. No reviews. I guess they are waiting for the M35/45 reviews first. The Cars are only 1 month apart from their respective debuts.

Infiniti has shown when they try, they can make great cars ala the G35s. This M35/45 is a G35 with a much better interior and a V-8 option. Wow. Man I wish it had a manual.

I hope Lexus truly did their HW. The GS is supposed to be the badass Lexus. We'll see.

Old 12-27-04, 03:26 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread. I think luxury sport sedan buyers will cross shop these 3 vehicles (among others). I bet down the road, you'll have a lot of members chiming in and giving their opinion as to why they chose a one vehicle over the others.

Last edited by Cadd; 12-27-04 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-27-04, 03:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree, i think it's going to be a battle between lexus and infiniti. the rl somehow just doesn't really do it for me, and the fact that it's missing a v8 engine as an option, that's a real bummer.

looking at the interior of the rl (i didn't really notice which one is which until the end), i immediately thought that the rl one looks a bit on the cheap side. just doesn't look smooth and slick enough, lacking the class for a car like this.

the infiniti, i think i am only worried about the buttons, seems like there are way too many buttons in the car, i like simplicity. personally i really like the grey interior with blackwood on the GS, i really want to see it in person. talk about interior i love the gs one to death, the new gs is just superior.
Old 12-27-04, 04:55 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad that someone compared the interiors of the three. Interior is the most important aspect of the car and driving experience to me at least. After all you have to be in it everyday and if you don't get good vibe and emotions from the cabin there is no way to enjoy the car.
I learned that on BMW and that's why I will never ever buy one again. Cabin was so dead that after some time I've never got the sparks from it anymore to drive the car just for fun and enjoy.

Anyway back to comparison. I have seen all three in person (Infiniti was concept M) and I spent some time inside of RL so I will shoot out my oppinions on it first.

RL:
+ Awesome lit gauges. You have to see it in person to apreciate it. "Welcome" that you get once you sit inside is truly something to admire.
+ LEDs that lit door handles, some parts of the console and leg "space". Awesome
+ Driver's seat can go really low
- Genuine wood is false advertising. The only places where wood is real are on the front doors. Whole dash is made of wood immitation plastic
- Unrefined on touch. Especially the gear ****. Cheap plastic on NAV joystick. Some quirkiness.
- Dash is too deep, like Taurus.

GS:
+ Great leather/wood combinations. I am going crazy for bright yellow/creme Ivory leather it looks so warm and pleasant for the eyes, but I have't seen it yet in person. Black wood offered finally.
+ So simple and minimal layout yet so sleek and sporty at the same time
+ Hidden folding compartment with controls for sunshade, mirror folds... You need touches like that in the cabin, just like SC has claps.
- Not enough wood trim. It's missing wood on passanger's side.
- Grey leather. Actually this is the trauma from previous generation 3 series and stinky gray leather it had. You just couldnt get used on that smell it was that bad so I am staying away from grey leather. I wish they offered Ecru.
- Clock and temperature lit green instead of white like it was on the concept. Green is just tacky standing there in the middle. Green looks so cheap just like orange.

M:
+ Rich layout. Buisy but yet intresting. It looks like you could play all day in it
+ Wood trim looks very classy and much better than aluminum trim
+ Interestingly lit buttons around the NAV joystick. Definetely unique
- It looks complicated
- Orange lit gauges
- Not enough exciting trim combos so far
Old 12-27-04, 05:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree, i think it's going to be a battle between lexus and infiniti. the rl somehow just doesn't really do it for me, and the fact that it's missing a v8 engine as an option, that's a real bummer.

looking at the interior of the rl (i didn't really notice which one is which until the end), i immediately thought that the rl one looks a bit on the cheap side. just doesn't look smooth and slick enough, lacking the class for a car like this.

the infiniti, i think i am only worried about the buttons, seems like there are way too many buttons in the car, i like simplicity. personally i really like the grey interior with blackwood on the GS, i really want to see it in person. talk about interior i love the gs one to death, the new gs is just superior.
Rl is nice but usual new Acura. Trying to be the cheapest loaded, not the best. at anything.

Vladi reviewed all 3 pretty well. I just don't see anyone seriously intersted in a GS or M buying a RL. Totally different demographics to me.

Old 12-27-04, 07:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Rl is nice but usual new Acura. Trying to be the cheapest loaded, not the best. at anything.

Vladi reviewed all 3 pretty well. I just don't see anyone seriously intersted in a GS or M buying a RL. Totally different demographics to me.

that's pretty much how i would put it too. seems like some distance
Old 12-27-04, 11:52 PM
biker
Lead Lap

When the reality of which model gets bought from these 3 makers sets in, the lack of the V8 in the RL will not be much of a factor. Like in years past the V8 will be a nice thing for folks to brag about in car forums but will be a very distant second in terms of sales compared to the V6 offerings. Even the AWD feature of the RL will be lost in the comparisons between these 3. The SH-AWD didn't help the porkier RL beat the HP disadvanteged RWD only M35 at the track and neither will it in the salesroom. I'd venture to guess that this will settle into a monthly duel around the 2000/mo figure, with the M in the lead most of the time. All 3 are great cars - it's just what appeals to you most.
Old 12-28-04, 12:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

dunno, but we are talking about now though. maybe 2 yrs from now everyone is talking about hybrid, i am not surprised. but seriously, most of us cares about now. it's like saying maybe in 5 yrs all cars would look like the banglized bmw he created, but that doesn't prevent us from saying the cars are ugly now. he could be way ahead of his time, but thank god i am not
Old 12-28-04, 08:13 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Such a false statement, but I want go there with you.
Mostly couch potatoes will buy the GS & RL. I rarely see a gs430 or gs400 even after over 5 years in production.
As far as an enthusiast. M35/45 takes the cake.
The M will probably be faster & handle better than a GS300/430.
The RL will probably handle better than a GS300/430. As far I can see the car has more technology than the M & GS. A nice backup camera is nothing new.
The GS fit & finish will probably be better than the M & RL.

So take your pick.

Start another thread after you have at least driven one these cars.

Last edited by rogers2; 12-28-04 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-28-04, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by biker
When the reality of which model gets bought from these 3 makers sets in, the lack of the V8 in the RL will not be much of a factor. Like in years past the V8 will be a nice thing for folks to brag about in car forums but will be a very distant second in terms of sales compared to the V6 offerings. Even the AWD feature of the RL will be lost in the comparisons between these 3. The SH-AWD didn't help the porkier RL beat the HP disadvanteged RWD only M35 at the track and neither will it in the salesroom. I'd venture to guess that this will settle into a monthly duel around the 2000/mo figure, with the M in the lead most of the time. All 3 are great cars - it's just what appeals to you most.
I disagree. I love my GS 300 solidiers but this whole website would be 100% different if no GS 400/430 were around. Either most all the mods/admins have/had it at some point.
Look at the 300C, the Hemi is the halo version that carries through the V-6 versions. Any serious luxury automaker will offer multiple engine choices. Your in Europe, over there ya'll have a much greater range of choices than us (BMW/Benz/Audi). I think ya'll still have V-6 SLs! Even now ya'll have IS 200s and IS 300s.
Imagine a 5 or E class with only a V-6? No V-8, no 540? No AMG/M cars.

Old 12-28-04, 09:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rogers
Mostly couch potatoes will buy the GS & RL. I rarely see a gs430 or gs400 even after over 5 years in production.
The RL will probably handle better than a GS300/430. As far I can see the car has more technology than the M & GS. A nice backup camera is nothing new.

So take your pick.

So you say the M35/45 is faster and the RL and M handles better than the GS, but I need to go drive them first. I don't think ANYONE in the world has driven all 3.

You cannot really compare the GS and RL. Just looking here, the GS attracts a totally different buyer. Going to Acura sites, RL forums are dead. Maybe 2 active RL owners and maybe 1 with any intention to modify.
I am sure people will TRY to modify the M35/45 but Nissan is so slow to bring in NISMO and they don't want to sell NISMO parts to Infiniti dealers. But I do think the M35/45 buyer will be similar to the GS buyer.
And yes, the Lexus name will bring in the "couch potatoes". Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-28-04, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rogers

So take your pick.

it's the v8 version, of course you dont' get to see too many of them around. just like you don't see many m45 around. and just like bimmer and mb, you see much less 545 and e500 around. for most people they don't understand the 10k+ extra money.
Old 12-28-04, 01:57 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Ok heres my point of view and just to keep this in your heads i am a loyal acura owner and currently also have a nissan.
The rl to me was beatiful when it came out great technology and great new things no other cars have. These things blinded me to the fact that the car is small very accord like and an interior lacking something of a richer feeling. But these things are good enough to mention such as real time traffic which was un heard of. Sh-awd another thing not to many people could boast about. The noice canc system also another great... the Bose which is great i might add i have heard it it does some crazy things. Also maintace minder the car calls acura itself if theirs a problem. Technologicly the car is amazing. But i think we are all looking for a balance. The rl no v8 to small and horrible materials.
I swayed to the gs only a few months ago. I havent seen one yet put can vouch for the fact of a much richer interior i can bet a much more luxorious ride and just a better car. I can assure myself it wont have to many techno problems due to the fact it doesnt have as many crammed into it as the acura does. I cant wait to go sign the papers and i think im locked i dont think anything can change me from buying this car.
Now the m45 i love the interior but the exterior to me just isnt doing it from the side to the back. And the seats just look too cheap and uncomfortable. I also think the lexus quality is far more superior. Too me infiniti is jus one notch above acura. I want the best and this is why i am choosing lexus. Hopefully u will agree with me somewhat on my post
Old 12-28-04, 02:02 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with you on the fit and finish but only if your purchasing the V8. GS300 hell no.

Quick Reply: GS/M35/45/RL comparisons