GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 10:20 AM
Valksy16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt

HeLLO!!!! FAMILY!!!

My name is Valentino aka Valsky and I baby is a 2000 GS 400 white on beige interior base model I just bought it 2 days ago this would be my 3rd gs400 the others were 98, 99 and I was forced to sell them because I needed money. but now I am doing great at my new job so I was super lucky to find a 2000 gs400 1 owner with 125k miles super clean BUTTT!!! HE NEVER CHANGED the timing belts so the first thing I thought to do was change the trimming belt and water pump with the components like the idler pulley and tension pully, I thought since this is a MAJOR important part of the car and I want to keep it for a long time I should go to lexus or toyota to get this done instead of an independant shop they quited me $1800 with all the compnents and labor including the pcv valve that controls the gas going into enginge. my questions is am I crazy for going to toyota to get this done when I found kits for timming belts online for $270 and I have a mehcanic that would do it for $400 or am I doing the right thing by going to the dealer and getting real lexus parts? please advise and let me know if I am crazy
Old 03-10-15, 10:29 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Well aftermarket parts are suppose to meet or exceed oem specs. There are requirements by law on how parts are made. I suppose its the discretion of the buyer. I've found that parts are over priced just because theres a Lexus name to them, even in aftermarket parts. I've cross referenced part numbers from a same brand (that I looked up by my vehicle name) and found that buying by part number rather than searching with your year make and model that the parts are cheaper... What I'm saying is that for all we know, the kit for $270 could very well be the same company who made the part for Lexus. I've seen kits as low as $87 bucks, I think I'd be skeptical about that cheap of a price though. I'm sure with some searching you'll find that many people have used those $270 kits without a problem.
Old 03-10-15, 10:34 AM
Valksy16
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply I also think that some custom parts and other name brands would be just as good if not better quality but I have gone ahead with toyota and hope I am doing the right thing because I plan to keep this car for a very long time and this is the beginning of my project to the car, and I wanted to start with the maintenance of the engine before I begin to modify it
Old 03-10-15, 01:27 PM
Valksy16
Driver School Candidate

Default Here is my update

So I work for florida fine cars and can dealer discounts on parts so I called lexus Directly and orederd all the timming belt parts and pullys with new vavle cover gaskets and it cost me $520 I also reached out to my mechanic who has been working on cars for over 30 years and asked him is changing the timming belt something hard for you to do or is it like changing a tire he assured me that my baby is safe in his hands and he will do it for $400 I told him I will give him $600 just please take your time and do a great job for me so I am doing my timing belt and valve cover gaskets for $1120 total boy am I happy now for the saved money I will get me coilovers
Old 03-10-15, 01:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Valksy16
So I work for florida fine cars and can dealer discounts on parts so I called lexus Directly and orederd all the timming belt parts and pullys with new vavle cover gaskets and it cost me $520 I also reached out to my mechanic who has been working on cars for over 30 years and asked him is changing the timming belt something hard for you to do or is it like changing a tire he assured me that my baby is safe in his hands and he will do it for $400 I told him I will give him $600 just please take your time and do a great job for me so I am doing my timing belt and valve cover gaskets for $1120 total boy am I happy now for the saved money I will get me coilovers
sounds like you got it worked out... Florida Fine Cars ha some good deals...
Old 03-10-15, 11:35 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can get the oem brand parts in a kit from rockauto for less than 150.

More Information for AISIN TKT001 https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1798458&cc=1363553&jnid=418&jpid=13

Last edited by sam12345; 03-10-15 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 08:18 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370762074437?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-12-15, 04:03 PM
Valksy16
Driver School Candidate

question I ordered all the parts needed for the timing belt replacement new pulleys new everything but in the ebay kit you sent me I noticed it has the timing belt and another drive belt also it comes with a thermostat and thermostat gasket I did not get the thermostat or the drive belt should I replace those items also with the timing belt or not?
Old 03-12-15, 04:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

question I ordered all the parts needed for the timing belt replacement new pulleys new everything but in the ebay kit you sent me I noticed it has the timing belt and another drive belt also it comes with a thermostat and thermostat gasket I did not get the thermostat or the drive belt should I replace those items also with the timing belt or not?
if its never been done then i would... also i would replace the thermostat since your replacing the water pump...
Old 03-12-15, 05:40 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Well aftermarket parts are suppose to meet or exceed oem specs.
lol, I hope you're joking, Jokester.

We are talking about OEM Lexus/Toyota parts here. That's about as good as it gets... especially when the topic is timing belts.
Old 03-12-15, 06:32 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
lol, I hope you're joking, Jokester. We are talking about OEM Lexus/Toyota parts here. That's about as good as it gets... especially when the topic is timing belts.
why would he be joking? I'm sure parts have regulations just like anything else that need to pass tests to be approved. That Toyota part your buying could be another part rebadged by ACdelco or another off company. You just never know. I probably wouldn't do gates etc for the timing belt but I would do Aisin and or Lexus
Old 03-12-15, 08:23 PM
geoffpaint
Driver School Candidate

I had a local Lexus dealership in CA do the timing belt, water pump package for around $1,400. They originally wanted around $1,800-1,900 but I haggled with them on the price. I believe lexus dealerships are willing to negotiated on their prices most of the time. But I would rather not pay the prices that lexus dealers charge unless if it's a critical service you are having done to your vehicle and even then I am not sure if I would be willing to pay their prices but this was an exception to me since I did not know any nearby good mechanics at the time.
Old 03-12-15, 11:05 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
sounds like you got it worked out... Florida Fine Cars ha some good deals...
My brother have a friend that is master toyota mechanic and now is my friend 2. LOL I buy all thr part from the dealer and he only charge me $350.00. So, total cost was $1,250.00 And yesss Florida baby.

PS. Lexus and Toyota make cars not parts. I lear that for my new friend. Is a lot of after market manufacturer part that make part and then for example, Toyota say to those manufacturer, do this part with these specifications and I put the box or stickers with my company name to sell it more expensive to still make more,more money. Just think about it and you see that it's true.
But still, I personally I try to buy the parts that say Lexus on the box, stickers, ect. LOL
Old 03-12-15, 11:22 PM
AL98GS400
Driver School Candidate

HeLLO!!!! FAMILY!!!

My name is Valentino aka Valsky and I baby is a 2000 GS 400 white on beige interior base model I just bought it 2 days ago this would be my 3rd gs400 the others were 98, 99 and I was forced to sell them because I needed money. but now I am doing great at my new job so I was super lucky to find a 2000 gs400 1 owner with 125k miles super clean BUTTT!!! HE NEVER CHANGED the timing belts so the first thing I thought to do was change the trimming belt and water pump with the components like the idler pulley and tension pully, I thought since this is a MAJOR important part of the car and I want to keep it for a long time I should go to lexus or toyota to get this done instead of an independant shop they quited me $1800 with all the compnents and labor including the pcv valve that controls the gas going into enginge. my questions is am I crazy for going to toyota to get this done when I found kits for timming belts online for $270 and I have a mehcanic that would do it for $400 or am I doing the right thing by going to the dealer and getting real lexus parts? please advise and let me know if I am crazy
No way I'd pay $1,800! I found an engine with 40k miles with a transmission, ecu, wiring, starter, tc, alternator etc ready to go guaranteed with replacement warranty from a reputable person for $1500 shipped to my door. I need a timing belt change seeing all the work I've had to do that was never done from previous owner. My car has 300k miles. My transmission has a slight slip from 1st to 2nd. I was quoted $1500 just starting out on transmission repair, $750 on the timing belt. I'd rather swap out the other engine than pay all that. I figured if mine has made it 300k miles a 40k replacement would help me enjoy the car for a very long time. Also, I'd have an extra engine and transmission for parts or to beef up. Thats cheap of a price seriously calmed my worries about what to do when I hit total engine or transmission failure. I'm seriously considering buying the replacement, getting my front end body damage repaired, possible paint while engine is out and drop new setup in the car. I'd be less than half the cash I spent on my 95 GST Eclipse for my mods on a vehicle with more hp with a stock platform. I wish I had my gs400 before I dumped the cash in my 4 banger!
Old 03-13-15, 04:36 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by AL98GS400
No way I'd pay $1,800! I found an engine with 40k miles with a transmission, ecu, wiring, starter, tc, alternator etc ready to go guaranteed with replacement warranty from a reputable person for $1500 shipped to my door. I need a timing belt change seeing all the work I've had to do that was never done from previous owner. My car has 300k miles. My transmission has a slight slip from 1st to 2nd. I was quoted $1500 just starting out on transmission repair, $750 on the timing belt. I'd rather swap out the other engine than pay all that. I figured if mine has made it 300k miles a 40k replacement would help me enjoy the car for a very long time. Also, I'd have an extra engine and transmission for parts or to beef up. Thats cheap of a price seriously calmed my worries about what to do when I hit total engine or transmission failure. I'm seriously considering buying the replacement, getting my front end body damage repaired, possible paint while engine is out and drop new setup in the car. I'd be less than half the cash I spent on my 95 GST Eclipse for my mods on a vehicle with more hp with a stock platform. I wish I had my gs400 before I dumped the cash in my 4 banger!
that sounds like the quotes i received from 2 dealers, 2k for timing belt, water pump, front seals, and $1020 for the same at another dealer.... Oh the mark up....

Quick Reply: Timing Belt