GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Trying to replace intermediate steering shaft... need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-14, 11:33 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to replace intermediate steering shaft... need help

Hey guys, I've been pondering on how to replace my intermediate shaft and I don't know what to do next. I was finally able to take off the bolts on the top of the old shaft and the bottom yolk that connects to the rack, but I can't get anything to slide off.

What am I missing here? Thanks!
Old 08-08-14, 03:18 PM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Anyone? I want to attempt this again this weekend. I've been reading a little about people replacing them on other cars and they say it is supposed to collapse. Does that mean I have to push the shaft down first to remove it?
Old 08-20-14, 08:35 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Does anyone know how to do this? It would be a great help.
Old 08-20-14, 09:46 AM
teeekuuu
Driver School Candidate

What exactly did you bolt off ? I think you need to hit it with something to get it moving at start. Don't think it's suppoased to just slide off.
Old 08-20-14, 11:57 AM
Behemoth7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by teeekuuu
What exactly did you bolt off ? I think you need to hit it with something to get it moving at start. Don't think it's suppoased to just slide off.
I can't get to the bolt at the bottom of the intermediate shaft, I can only access the bolt on the yolk(u joint) below it. Everything I've read says that the shaft is supposed to come loose at the top, and then gets pulled out through the top of the firewall, but I can't get anything loose by hand. I'm thinking I might need to take a mallet and chisel to something, but I don't know what.

Thanks for your response!
Old 02-10-15, 06:41 AM
Ultramiler
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Behemoth7
I can't get to the bolt at the bottom of the intermediate shaft, I can only access the bolt on the yolk(u joint) below it. Everything I've read says that the shaft is supposed to come loose at the top, and then gets pulled out through the top of the firewall, but I can't get anything loose by hand. I'm thinking I might need to take a mallet and chisel to something, but I don't know what.

Thanks for your response!
Check with your dealer for a TSB, I seem to remember replacing a lot of these when I worked for Lexus. It is just one bolt on the top and one bolt on the bottom that clamps around the splines on either side. Also there is a rubber boot going through the firewall.

Make sure you align your steering wheel and lock it in place then don't move your wheels or rack or else the steering will be off.

The lower part of the intermediate shaft is a lot harder to get off. I suggest spraying it with penetrating oil, wedging a chisel in the gap of where it joins together to spread it apart and you might have to hammer on the actual intermediate shaft to get it to come loose. it is exposed to water and road gunk so it can be pretty stuck on there.

You can remove it and lube it, but I believe there is a TSB to replace that part due to a faulty design.
Old 02-11-15, 07:12 PM
NVRLFT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here we replaced a lot when I was at Toyota, some went really smooth others were a PITA
Old 09-15-16, 06:36 PM
TimeCloud
Driver School Candidate

Our CT200H is making the same noises. Hope this helps someone.

I thought the U-Joint was bad but when I tightened the bolt the knock diminished. I will replace the bolt and update the video. Lay on your back looking up in driver's floorboard. I perched the phone up high behind a large bundle of wires and this gave me plenty of light. This should take you about 5 minutes to do. Don't over tighten! the last thing you want is to strip the bolt or the head.
Old 09-17-16, 09:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by teeekuuu

Originally Posted by TimeCloud
Our CT200H is making the same noises. Hope this helps someone.
CT200H Steering Knock - YouTube

I thought the U-Joint was bad but when I tightened the bolt the knock diminished. I will replace the bolt and update the video. Lay on your back looking up in driver's floorboard. I perched the phone up high behind a large bundle of wires and this gave me plenty of light. This should take you about 5 minutes to do. Don't over tighten! the last thing you want is to strip the bolt or the head.
i know they are different vehicles but i also would be willing to be they use the same bolt and from the diagram the bolt part # is 90119-08560
Old 09-19-16, 04:45 AM
TimeCloud
Driver School Candidate

I tightened this bolt. I drove the car around and all the knocking I heard previously (thought Strut, steering rack, etc.) was gone.

Old 04-05-17, 04:43 AM
bobct
Driver School Candidate

I was quoted GB£ 589.00 by Lexus dealer to replace the intermediate shaft on my CT200H after taking it to them with really bad knocking noise. After looking at TimeClouds video I tightened the same bolt about an eighth of a turn and all noise has gone!
Big thanks to the tune of nearly 600 pounds!