GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

waz up guys the motor on my steering wheel losing power

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 01:58 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...pic-wheel.html
Old 11-23-14, 09:18 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been posting my most recent experiences with this at the thread linked above....anything new on this? I'm in Dallas TX. Think I can get it fixed cheap? I'm half way into removing the tilt motor to check the grease, but stuck again because motor needs to turn to back itself out. Running out of time to spend on this - any help appreciated! Maybe it isnt' the grease thing?
Old 11-23-14, 10:32 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me see if ALLDATA has step by step instructions for you hang on k.
Old 11-24-14, 04:52 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

That really nice of you GSG! And really glad to know you're still on here.

I do already have an Alldata account I switched over to this car, but don't use it that much "cause I hunted down all the manuals for it as well - which seem to have better info a lot of the time.

I'm figuring there won't be much on tinkering with this motor because they'd rather you replace the steering as a unit...but I'll be joyously surprised if you find out different - lol. :-)

Again I'm grateful for your time and offer.

What I liked about what you said, in earlier posts, was you felt it was more likely needing to replace the motor itself. I didn't know if you can find one new or the like...I wrote down the part number and did searches but didn't find anything. While I've seen people say the dealer would replace for $300 for the part (add labor)...I'm wondering where they find this while I still have everything torn apart. I'd as soon put a new one back on than the old one.

Well, going to go outside and see if the motor wil work long enough to extract from the column....after a really long day at work - geesh. The sacrifices. :-)
Old 11-24-14, 10:01 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyho
That really nice of you GSG! And really glad to know you're still on here.

I do already have an Alldata account I switched over to this car, but don't use it that much "cause I hunted down all the manuals for it as well - which seem to have better info a lot of the time.

I'm figuring there won't be much on tinkering with this motor because they'd rather you replace the steering as a unit...but I'll be joyously surprised if you find out different - lol. :-)

Again I'm grateful for your time and offer.

What I liked about what you said, in earlier posts, was you felt it was more likely needing to replace the motor itself. I didn't know if you can find one new or the like...I wrote down the part number and did searches but didn't find anything. While I've seen people say the dealer would replace for $300 for the part (add labor)...I'm wondering where they find this while I still have everything torn apart. I'd as soon put a new one back on than the old one.

Well, going to go outside and see if the motor wil work long enough to extract from the column....after a really long day at work - geesh. The sacrifices. :-)
Lol ahh man I feel terrible because haha, for some reason, and to my suprise really, ALLDATA doesn't even have any instructions for its removal, but just a diagram of the steering colum. It doesn't seem very difficult to remove actually but perhaps more components need to be removed then I thought... Did you get the motor out? You read the all data notes right? Let me know I've got mine pretty much taken apart im sure I can tell you what needs to be done if your stuck on something k.
Old 11-28-14, 03:53 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Still stuck on this. I don't know where to find someone with experienced at this, other than the other thread I was first following?

May post a new thread ...need to get past this putting my life on hold.

I don't know if having all screws still on the motor is needed to activate it, or both wiring harness connecters are needed? Only other things I can think is to drive it around awhile, with the motor accessible to be ready to pull it if starts working...or disconnect the battery a moment to see if something resets. Just too time consuming to try all possible combinations.

I'm also concerned if the wiring harness "gives" enough length to stay connected while the gear comes out from the column.

Surprised no one else has ever dealt with, or commented about to help others...but maybe it is just me? I'll keep trying for now...will see if the question can get spotted by someone who knows.
Old 11-29-14, 12:53 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Hang on so your pretty much stuck on trying to get it out? Why do you need to have the wheel come out in order for you to remove it? (Although I probably woul have disconnected the battery with the key turned to Ign. So it is out) but im not for certain that Id even end up wanting that. But check it out, most times when my battery is disconnected, and I reconnect it, the first time I put the key back into the ignition after having the battery disconnected, the telescopic mechanism never works, I have always, had to take the key out once more, and put it back in, and the wheel will come down. If your just trying to get the wheel to come back down, connect all the wires you've disconnected, which I can't imagine being many.... Connect your battery and get the wheel t come down lol, then don't turn off the Car, disconnect the battery.
Old 12-04-14, 05:55 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

GSGenisis, I apologize for not seeing you replied again till now. Thank you for yo9ur time.

Actually I've been sick with a flu kind of thing the past week, been a bear.

And actually I started another thread/question, to see if got some other eyeballs.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8812028
I'll have to keep updating that for the moment.

You said you had a motor to sell...I don't know it its used or not?
I would love to know where to buy a new motor...I did a search of the part number and got nothing, called around - nothing. I'd seen old posts where someone mentioned buying one for a few hundred - don't know how they did that.

Anyway, I'm now looking at replacing the "brushes" inside the motor. Got a possible source and will let you know how that goes.

Let me know about your motor though, if you haven't sold?

Oh! And I finally got the motor out by opening the gear "housing" plate, and pulling the gear up that threaded shaft, if that make sense. Just hoping I can press them back in ok so all the teeth match up. I took some pics if anyone calls for.

Thank you!!

Last edited by johnnyho; 12-04-14 at 06:11 PM.