GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

JDM engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-13, 04:37 PM
GSDuBAi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM engine swap

Hello folks!

Long story short i am swapping my current USDM engine on my '99 GS300 to a JDM one (stock as well). For those wondering why- engine depressurized takes ages to start, 3 cylinders misfiring and my car vibrating like a friggin vibrator due to a bad engine. Also, the new engine is costing me significantly less than repairing my current one. So yeah looked around and found a really clean (and i mean it REALLY clean) JDM engine with few miles on it.

Anyone does this before? Will i be facing any big problems?
I have given my car to an experienced mechanic and he mentioned installing wiring and stuff from my USDM engine to the new one will not be a problem and nothing to worry about. Im aware JDM engines most of the things are in the wrong place.

One question- will i be requiring to do a computer flash at any point? or is it okay. Just wondering.

Thanks guys, you all have always been a help
Old 05-18-13, 04:44 PM
GSDuBAi
Driver School Candidate

Also to mention, i swapped the radiator/condenser/compressor and even the engine mounts from the JDM car. Just so everything works perfect.
Old 05-20-13, 12:37 AM
702GS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you getting a jdm J2Z motor?
Old 05-20-13, 11:19 AM
AZTurbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am pretty sure it should be a straight forward swap. You will have to change out the exhaust manifold as I think the JDM N/A 2JZGE motors dont have the catalytic converters on the manifold. Just make sure you do the regular maintenance items since you have the motor out, i.e.: oil filter, water pump, plugs, wires, timing belt, tensioner, idle pulley.
Old 05-20-13, 02:17 PM
michal5000
Rookie

I believe you may face a problem with the ECU. JDM one is set to a different (higher octane rating) fuel they have in Japan. So you may have issues with knocking, etc. At least it was my case (GTE engine).
Old 05-29-13, 04:56 AM
GSDuBAi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 702GS
Are you getting a jdm J2Z motor?
No bro, just the stock one.

Originally Posted by AZTurbo
I am pretty sure it should be a straight forward swap. You will have to change out the exhaust manifold as I think the JDM N/A 2JZGE motors dont have the catalytic converters on the manifold. Just make sure you do the regular maintenance items since you have the motor out, i.e.: oil filter, water pump, plugs, wires, timing belt, tensioner, idle pulley.
Yes the swap has been done and i have kept the exhaust manifolds of my previous engine.

Originally Posted by michal5000
I believe you may face a problem with the ECU. JDM one is set to a different (higher octane rating) fuel they have in Japan. So you may have issues with knocking, etc. At least it was my case (GTE engine).
Here you go. The only problem i am facing. if by ;knocking; you mean abit of hesitation when you floor the throttle? it is happening to me. will get it checked havnt got time yet. rest everything is working perfect. not to mention the increase in power !
Old 05-29-13, 07:58 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should even the JDM ecm retard the timing in the event of detonation?