GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rear ball joints and waterpump (trick to get cover off..no new t-belt)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 10:17 AM
gameday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ball joints and waterpump (trick to get cover off..no new t-belt)?

Did a major search, but no diy on rear ball joints? Can someone please point me in the right direction? Searched Rockauto for moog parts, and there are no rear ball joints listed? Anyone have a diy write-up and place for parts please? Anything interchangeable with front parts or ball joints from other cars?

Also, needing to do waterpump, but will wait 20 more k to do t-belt. Anyway to loosen second plastic housing so I can get that one bolt off to change just the waterpump please? Any links to write-ups would be greatly appreciated!

Great board, but now I want to fix darn near everything...lots to replace at 150k.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 03-27-13, 11:18 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by gameday
Did a major search, but no diy on rear ball joints?
no such thing as a rear ball joint on our car.....we have rear upper control arms that have a ball joint on them.

Last edited by sakataj; 03-28-13 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-27-13, 02:16 PM
gameday
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Sakataj. Checked Rockauto for rear uca and nada. Anything else in the rear generally have to be replaced because of catastrophic failure on these cars? Boy, I'm sure learning alot on this site..kinda scary to see some of these failures.

I'm gonna have to look at the multi-link rear suspension and see which part the mechanic referred to..it was kind of pre-purchase inspection that happened post.

Just trying to make the car safe for my son, while making sure it doesn't overheat either (16 y.o).

Any write ups on rear uca?

Any write ups on how to remove that second shroud without removing the crank pulley? Last, anybody know the specific name of the crank pulley tool used by Jeff Tsai and where I can buy it (as I might have to do the t-belt and all after all).

Thanks!
Mike
Old 03-28-13, 12:41 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

No you cannot remove the plastic cover without taking off the crank pulley. Unless you break the cover lol. If you are going to replace the water pump, then go ahead and do the timing belt while you are in there. It only costs like $30 for a new T-belt. Also, you cannot do the water pump without removing the timing belt because there's a bottom bolt holding in the pump that is covered up by the idler pulley on the timing belt.
Old 03-28-13, 08:49 AM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Gospel.
Old 03-28-13, 09:04 AM
gameday
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jeff! Thanks for the videos too from a newb.

Ok, do the timing belt too...is there a good quality budget kit you recommend? Was thinking of a Aisin waterpump, but not sure the brand of belt for $30, and the brand of the other pulleys. Also, can I just use a 2' breaker bar attached to a 6' breaker bar to get the crank pulley off from your experience, or should I pony up for the specialty tool in your video? If the latter, can you tell me the best place to pick it up and the cost please?

On a related note, great videos, but do you have one that shows what to disconnect to get the engine out (what to unbolt). Since I may need a new head gasket, I may just take 'try' to take the whole engine out and get it rebuilt with a machinist who might be able to do it on the side. Could you recommend best practice to do this please?

Man, this car is really ramping me up in my mechanical knowledge quick. Sometimes I wonder if I should of gotten my son a Protege instead, but too good of a deal on this car.

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 03-28-13, 11:23 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

IN RX300 forum there are pictures of the home made special tool. All you really need is a flat bar and drill hole for the socket and two little holes for the holding bolts.

Salim
Old 04-01-13, 09:51 AM
gameday
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salim! Much appreciated.

Mike
Old 04-01-13, 01:33 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gameday
Thanks Jeff! Thanks for the videos too from a newb.

Ok, do the timing belt too...is there a good quality budget kit you recommend? Was thinking of a Aisin waterpump, but not sure the brand of belt for $30, and the brand of the other pulleys. Also, can I just use a 2' breaker bar attached to a 6' breaker bar to get the crank pulley off from your experience, or should I pony up for the specialty tool in your video? If the latter, can you tell me the best place to pick it up and the cost please?

On a related note, great videos, but do you have one that shows what to disconnect to get the engine out (what to unbolt). Since I may need a new head gasket, I may just take 'try' to take the whole engine out and get it rebuilt with a machinist who might be able to do it on the side. Could you recommend best practice to do this please?

Man, this car is really ramping me up in my mechanical knowledge quick. Sometimes I wonder if I should of gotten my son a Protege instead, but too good of a deal on this car.

Thanks again!
Mike

The eBay OEM replacement kits are descent...that's if your budget lets you go to $200-250. Might as well upgrade everything with the kit while you're in there, seals, belt, tensioner, pump, etc.

I believe all the parts are manufacturer replacements though it's not labeled Toyota/Lexus.