Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

JZS161 rear upper ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 12:28 PM
ironworks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JZS161 rear upper ball joints

Do anyone have a better knowledge about these ball joints -->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALL-JOINT-REAR-UPPER-ARM-TOYOTA-ARISTO-1997-2004-OEM-48770-30052-/251309098624?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a83308680&vxp=mtr
I ordered these (not from this seller but similar ball joints) ´cos my rear upper ball joint have to be replaced.
Today I have fighted with these upper arms / ball joints.
These really cannot be changed to the OEM arms. Looks like the oem balljoints are really solid to the OEM rear upper arm.
I just didnt wanted to believe that the balljoints are not really replaceable, allthought I had read about this problem.
Today we tried with proper heat and machine press, and many other ways without any success. In the end with metal saw just to see if there is any seam between the arm and the balljoint. We didnt find one.

I have read that rear upper ball joints are a common problem on MKII Aristos, and the only cure is to buy new ones from Toyota about £600 each..
Why are these balljoints for sale with this description ->
BALL JOINT REAR UPPER ARM
Will fit following cars:
LEXUS GS300/400/430 JZS160 1997-2005
LEXUS GS300/430 JZS160 1997-2005
TOYOTA ARISTO JZS160/JZS161 1997-2004

Or am I missing something?
Old 07-30-13, 08:33 PM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea when the ball joints go on the rear uppers you must replace the whole unit. I had mine off and looked it over as well. The ball joint is solidly wedged into the hole. Almost like its a part of the arm itself. Its unfortunate that these arms are over $600 per pair and no one seems to sell them in the aftermarket. I was very fortunate enough to find a used pair from an 04 430 with only 40k miles on them. Bushings and ball joints looked practically unused. Took the chance and got them installed and i'm thrilled at the difference. Might want to try your luck with some used ones with low mileage. To me its much better option in the long run than attempting to replace just the ball joint. A member here is selling a pair with only 6-7k miles on them for a very competitive price. May wanna check out the classifieds and send him a pm to see if he's willing to ship out of the country.
Old 08-01-13, 09:53 PM
CodPiece
Rookie

Yeah, doesn't make sense to sell the ball joint if it's impossible to install.

My BJ needs to be replaced as well but i'm having a tough time finding the upper arms to replace the whole thing.

I found these adjustable set on ebay, but damn they are expensive. I wonder if it's worth spending a bit more for these over OEM?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silk-Road...614a86c&_uhb=1
Old 08-01-13, 10:56 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the Battle Version adjustable rear upper arms, they are about $600 if I remember right. For some reason they don't have them listed on their website though. I hope they still offer them.

Originally Posted by CodPiece
I found these adjustable set on ebay, but damn they are expensive. I wonder if it's worth spending a bit more for these over OEM?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silk-Road...614a86c&_uhb=1
Old 08-01-13, 11:02 PM
CodPiece
Rookie

Originally Posted by mex lex
I'd go with the Battle Version adjustable rear upper arms, they are about $600 if I remember right. For some reason they don't have them listed on their website though. I hope they still offer them.
Yeah, I checked before and I couldn't find them on their site but thought I must be missing something. Weren't they only released within the last year or so?
Old 08-02-13, 07:35 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Yea the BV's mysteriously has disappeared
Old 08-05-13, 04:41 PM
CodPiece
Rookie

I emailed Battle and they have confirmed that they are currently out of stock, however they plan on making more, although didn't say when.

I kind of need to get these soon. Does anyone know of any decent/relatively cheap alternatives aside from OEM?
Old 08-08-13, 12:30 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

I paid $350 shipped for my adjustable RUCA's. I dunno if they are still available from where I got them though...
Old 08-14-13, 10:23 PM
ironworks
Driver School Candidate

Returning to my first post.. Have anyone ordered this part for: Aristo JZS160/JZS161 / GS300 / GS400 97-05?
Have anyone fitted this part with success to any of these vehicles?
The seller alleges that this part DOES fit to my car, that I just dont know how to change it, that I should take my car to some professional mechanic Or we have different kind of rear upper arms here in Finland 2x
I have know checked my own Aristos stock arms (direct Jap car), then I have checked 2002 Uk spec GS 300 arms -> both ball joints are solid.
Seller says that plenty of these upper ball joints have been sold, and no one have ever complained about these. So, how they have done it ??
Old 08-15-13, 04:55 PM
CodPiece
Rookie

I've been searching CL for over a week for any information on rear upper arms that I can find and have not come across anything about anyone successfully replacing just the ball joint and not the entire arm.

Only found posts saying that they have tried and failed.

Sigh.
Old 09-26-13, 04:45 AM
ironworks
Driver School Candidate

This episode still bothers me, although my car is allready in ok condition.
I have contacted Fe-best for this issue with no final result for this case.

The reply was like -->
"Sir, Im not sure what to tell you. I can assure you that this
part fits the cars we listed, if you have a model that this part doesn't support
we are sorry. In the future if you need something let me know
and I will see what I can do for you."

The replier were some sales-guy with incomplete knowledge about technical aspect,
or any other other aspect. And had no interest to resolve the case.
Other, earlier reply -->
"Im not sure how to answer this. The part should be able to be pressed out,
as mentioned before this part sells often and this is the first time that
I have heard of this problem
. I see 2 scenarios that could be wrong,
either you have arms where you cant press it out for some reason, or you
are not using the correct equipment. I wish I could give you a better
response but I am not a mechanic."

This part sells often! Still anyone who have pressed these to the OEM arms??
Old 11-24-13, 03:04 PM
metalman
Driver School Candidate

I'm new to the club, and wondering how you made out with this? I joined just for this reason, and, well, I'll probably drive Lexus cars from here out. Kinda growing out of the little Datsuns I used to drive, but will always keep my 240. Anyways, I so for bought all new bushing for the entire rear for $320. Not bad considering $2,400 at Lexus, and they dont sell just bushings. I am determined to find an upper ball joint, either from a Cressida, or try an American truck one, or something. Not paying $500 just to have a ball joint. So determined to beat the system.
Old 11-24-13, 03:52 PM
MasterKwan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IS300 steel arms looks like they fit. I've compared the two. The steel arms are a bit heavier, probably stronger and less than 1/2 the price of the aluminum arms,

48770A 4877053010 ARM ASSEMBLY, UPPER CONTROL, REAR RIGHT. ARM ASSY, UPR CONTRO IS300 (JCE10) $210.90 4877053010

I haven't actually tried swapping them but, some IS300 guys run the GS arms. The IS arms are hollow stampings welded together.
Old 11-25-13, 04:52 AM
metalman
Driver School Candidate

Looks different then the typical "A" arm I have, but bushings and ball joint look like they're in the right perspective, but still a lot of money just to have a ball joint. I have the ball joint in my hand, they are easy to get out, and even have a C-clip on it.
Old 11-25-13, 02:56 PM
metalman
Driver School Candidate

So a Ford Taurus was close, but tapper was a little big. ($20 would of been nice.) I will continue with this later, for now a I ordered an extra control arm off ebay for $56, and experiment with this. As long as the taper is good and sorta fits the hole in the arm, a welding I will go. I just can't believe they don't make this, it was easier than most pressed in ball joints I have worked on. Other than that the rear bushings are all in ready to go, easy job as far as that. Stupid ball Joint has to hold you up. So now I end up cleaning things up and painting under there while I wait.

Quick Reply: JZS161 rear upper ball joints