GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Furious at the Lexus Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-12, 11:48 AM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Furious at the Lexus Dealer!

I have to get this rant off my chest!

I have been having with my GS400 with a highway shake from 60-80mph. It started after I bought tires, brand new falkens( I thought it was the falkens) I balanced them 4 times in two weeks and even had them replaced for brand new BFG super sports. Same thing same shack. I was sick of dealing with it and wanted it fixed and done.

I have been around cars my whole life. I have been working on them since I was 12 with my father and his friends. Cars are my huge part of my life. There is a reason I have only driven Lexus my whole life. My first car was an SC300. I wanted something with 4 doors and v8 so I bought this car. I love the thing. 3 generations of my family have lexus's and have owned more than one! My mother has had 2 es 300 and my grandmother infact just purchased a 2012 ES350 two months ago. (mind you both ES' have been purchased in cash from Lexus of Watertown)

With all of our business we have given them I thought it would be the best thing to have "certified" Lexus techs look at my car and full diagnosis it. I didn't even mind paying 150 figuring It would be solved after.

I brought my car in the morning and got a call around an hr later telling me it is my rear differential is what is causing the shaking and that they found a quarter inch of metal fillings on the magnetic bolt.

I thought it was a little to short of a time to do a full road test and a complete diagnosis. I took their word for it even though it was very skeptical and even asked to talk to the tech that checked and asked him what was going on and why it was happening and all he told me was "ya you need to replace the differential"

Well I located one (used because who buys a new diff for a 99) and paid someone to install it. Total amount spent- 600 ( damm cheap and I am lucky I have honest mechanics)

My mechanic calls me and tells me something that is extremely troubling and very unsettling.

He tells me the is a bolt MISSING from the drive-shaft yolk that bolts up the diff.

HOW, HOW DOES A LEXUS TECH MISS THIS?!?!?!?!?!?! HOW DO THEY LET MY DRIVE OUT OF THE DEALER LIKE THAT!!!

It questions everything at Lexus of Watertown. How much did the actually check. They didn't even check the tire balance, because they did not even take my wheels off!!!!!

To top EVERYTHING off, THE CAR STILL SHAKES!!!

I called the dealer and told them what the deal was and questioned how the let me leave with a missing bolt on the driveshaft. No answer...he just said agreed to the fact it was dangerous.

I explained to him how pissed I was that they made me replace me diff when I really didnt need to. Yes the car has 140k and ya the diff is going to not act like it was 14k.

After I got the diff replaced I made sure to keep the old one and I opened it up and I did not find 1 single metal file in there. NO TRACES, there would be a great deal of metal in there if wat they said was true. I have even taken pictures of the inside if needed.

When I kept questioning the service manager on how the hell do you do this to a customer. you make me replace a differential....and the problem is still there....that differential did not need a replacement at that point in time.

His response. well that's how we diagnosis here, I guess telling the customer to replace the 3rd most expensive part in a car is how to start....He wants me to take another day off from work (which I cannot afford because I have used all my vaca for this bull****). I do not want them touching my car, they have proved beyond reasonable doubt they cannot be trusted.

With my car still shacking I have really come to witts end. This whole experience has put a very sour taste in my mouth. I will never step foot in that dealer ever.
Old 08-31-12, 12:01 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

damn,,, and i thought it was just me... sorry to hear your plight with more lexus tech idiots. makes you wonder where they find them and how extensively do they train them. need to start a poll with just lex techs and ask them where worked before lexus and have they actually seen or worked on a real car. don't feel to bad they misdiagnose new cars also,,, makes you wonder. hope you get your business taken care of.
Old 08-31-12, 12:08 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn bro thats wack... Sorry to hear bout that. Did they atleast give you the $150 back for doing nothing and providing the wrong diagnosis?
Old 08-31-12, 12:09 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, I wouldnt rest till something was done. sorry to hear this.
Old 08-31-12, 12:17 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Damn bro thats wack... Sorry to hear bout that. Did they atleast give you the $150 back for doing nothing and providing the wrong diagnosis?
You would think they would offer that! They want me to bring it back to them so they can take a ride with me to see what im talking about and then put it on the lift again..I say F Them!

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
wow, I wouldnt rest till something was done. sorry to hear this.
After Posting here I carpet bombed this story onLexus' corp Twitter and Facebook along with the dealers Twitter and FB too.

6min later a corp lexus rep sent me a message for my vin number so he can call the dealer and see wtf is up. who knows....
Old 08-31-12, 12:23 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that sucks. By the way, check if one of your rims are bent because thats what caused my shake. I couldn't tell but once you see the rims spinning in the air you can see that its bent. Maybe thats your problem.
Old 08-31-12, 12:24 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by NEbiker10
You would think they would offer that! They want me to bring it back to them so they can take a ride with me to see what im talking about and then put it on the lift again..I say F Them!

After Posting here I carpet bombed this story onLexus' corp Twitter and Facebook along with the dealers Twitter and FB too.

6min later a corp lexus rep sent me a message for my vin number so he can call the dealer and see wtf is up. who knows....
Well, hopefully they can help you out and get this fixed. I'd definitely at least ask for your money back.
Old 08-31-12, 12:24 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 818GS
Damn that sucks. By the way, check if one of your rims are bent because thats what caused my shake. I couldn't tell but once you see the rims spinning in the air you can see that its bent. Maybe thats your problem.
you think those ****ers would check that **** first...DIDN'T even take the wheels off!
Old 08-31-12, 12:30 PM
818GS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you think those ****ers would check that **** first...DIDN'T even take the wheels off!
Don't take it back there but your mechanic sounds like a honest guy. Ask him to check if any of your rims are bent. Its the cheapest thing to check and it might be your problem as the shop that put your tires in your rims might have bent them.
Old 08-31-12, 12:33 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

F that they should of ride with you from the beginning with the tech driving, then put it in the lift, that's crazy, I'd be pissed, when I called my dealer about the shakes they told me to replace the steering column.. Wtf!? $600
Old 08-31-12, 12:36 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 818GS
X2 on this
Old 08-31-12, 12:38 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Actually rear diffd at 140k should ride just as new, there either good or bad and no in between. There are gs's out there with 250- 300k with the original diffs, of course you should change out diff oil once in a while.
Old 08-31-12, 12:54 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Here are internal pics of my old diff: Looks like TONS of metal fillings- If they said there was a 1/4" of metal fillings on the mag bolt I would ASSUME I would see 1 little trace of them around the bottom or cover.....

Name:  gf4ZS.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  ngcH4.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  61.5 KB
Old 08-31-12, 12:58 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ exactly rear diff are either bad or good, there is no in between..
Old 08-31-12, 01:16 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's just straight being lazy.

Quick Reply: Furious at the Lexus Dealer!