GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dilemma! Your thoughts would be helpful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 05:56 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dilemma! Your thoughts would be helpful.

Hey guys,
I'm between a rock and a hard place right now. I just got a new job and with it comes a company car.*It's a cross-over, not the biggest car I've had, but good enough for daily driving and the occasional trip with the family.
Now the question is what am I to do with my GS3? I bought the GS two years ago to serve as a daily driver. I serviced pretty much everything that needed service. She recently got new springs,*shocks*and new tires*too. So basically, she runs as smooth as ever and is good for another 100k miles.
So it's down to 2 options:
- SELL: These cars are hard as hell to sell around here, because of the petrol engine.*I'd take a huge hit financially speaking. On the other hand, the money of the sale would go towards the purchase of a sportier car.
- DON'T SELL:*I'd only drive her in the summer months (2 or 3 months at most) and make her more of a project car. How bad is it to have a car sit in a garage for 9 months a year?*
I'm kinda reluctant to sell, given the time and money I've spent on the car so far. I find it a very easy car to work on too.
I'd love to have a quicker car, but sometimes I just don't see the point anymore. Most of the time, my wife and son are in the car too, so....*
So what do you guys think?
Thanks!
Old 08-13-12, 06:01 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd keep it, think back why you bought the GS
Old 08-13-12, 06:10 AM
portcityplaya
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Project car. Now that your family won't have to be driven around in it you can really do some things to it. That's probably why I have done very little mods to my car because my family is always in it. If I had another car to cart them around in, it would be on full blast with mods.
Old 08-13-12, 09:36 AM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your getting a company car and all you really do is hang out with your family? (Not bashing you at all, giving you props nonetheless!)

Do you plan to drop a 2jz or do anything crazy with it? Does your wife need a car?

If your answers are no to these questions, sell it and start a college fund for your son. Or maybe split it between maybe modifying your home and a vacation!
Old 08-13-12, 10:11 AM
TNH
Pole Position

Project time!
Aristo swap and other performance mods. You'll have a sporty yet practical car.
And who knows, you may not have the company car forever, and at that point your GS will be done and you can use it daily again.
Old 08-13-12, 10:30 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartune
I'd keep it, think back why you bought the GS
I still do love the GS. Each time I see her, I fall in love all over again.

Originally Posted by portcityplaya
Project car. Now that your family won't have to be driven around in it you can really do some things to it.
Yeah, that's true. I don't have to worry about any down time now.

Originally Posted by luda42688
So your getting a company car and all you really do is hang out with your family? (Not bashing you at all, giving you props nonetheless!)

Do you plan to drop a 2jz or do anything crazy with it? Does your wife need a car?

If your answers are no to these questions, sell it and start a college fund for your son. Or maybe split it between maybe modifying your home and a vacation!
Haha. Yeah, I just moved and now all my friends live 150 miles away... so no more hanging out at car meets and stuff... I do go to the Nürburgring occasionally and drive a lap or two.

No need for a college fund here, unless I wanna send my son to Insead for an MBA. But a nice vacation is always welcome.

Originally Posted by TNH
Project time!
Aristo swap and other performance mods. You'll have a sporty yet practical car.
And who knows, you may not have the company car forever, and at that point your GS will be done and you can use it daily again.
That's a good point about not having the company car forever... I'd hate to go out there and look for a decent used car. I got a good deal on the GS back then and she has given me no trouble since I got her.

As for the swap, it's illegal here. But I could get an cheap TT Aristo in the UK, swap the engine, chassisnumbers and paperwork to mine.
Old 08-13-12, 11:13 AM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep it and enjoy when you can. Lexus is a car that can last darn near forever, so why exhange it for something that's not gong to last as good or as long?
Old 08-13-12, 11:43 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Keep it as a backup/project. As someone else mentioned, the company car won't be forever, then what will you do for a daily? You already have a reliable daily that you know the history of. Do you really want to go through that process of finding another car later on?
Old 08-13-12, 12:15 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YviE
I still do love the GS. Each time I see her, I fall in love all over again.

Yeah, that's true. I don't have to worry about any down time now.

Haha. Yeah, I just moved and now all my friends live 150 miles away... so no more hanging out at car meets and stuff... I do go to the Nürburgring occasionally and drive a lap or two.

No need for a college fund here, unless I wanna send my son to Insead for an MBA. But a nice vacation is always welcome.

That's a good point about not having the company car forever... I'd hate to go out there and look for a decent used car. I got a good deal on the GS back then and she has given me no trouble since I got her.

As for the swap, it's illegal here. But I could get an cheap TT Aristo in the UK, swap the engine, chassisnumbers and paperwork to mine.

I think you just answered your own question.
Old 08-13-12, 02:35 PM
str8lucky
Pole Position

Swap and keep for enjoyment.
Old 08-13-12, 02:39 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

gonna have to agree with the or even just keep it stock
Old 08-14-12, 05:11 AM
ErickGS300
Lead Lap

Just use the company car for work and in your free time use the GS.

OR.

Ask for a CT200h.
Old 08-14-12, 06:10 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

NA-t!!!!!!!!!!!!