GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Questions regarding leather shift boot & knob install for 2 GS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 07:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Questions regarding leather shift boot & **** install for 2 GS.

I am interested in putting in a leather shift boot with **** in my GS (last mod) I have a few questions for those that have them installed on their ride...

1. Which is the best combo to go with as far as fit & finish? Please include boot & shift **** size.

2. Where did you order the parts?

3. Is there a DIY write up for install?

Thanks in advance guys..
Old 02-11-09, 10:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone..? Is smoked led tails the rave now?
Old 02-11-09, 01:18 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Anyone..? Is smoked led tails the rave now?
no, but metrosexual tints are LOL!!

As for the shift boot, try hitting up CarbonGS, he's always willing to help some one.

Chris
Old 02-11-09, 01:34 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

dashocker, pm lexus gs3. iirc, when he had his 2GS he customed his boot and shifter (momo, iirc) GL!
post pics if/when ya get it done
Old 02-11-09, 01:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,310 Posts

I think kaygee did it as well with an NSX shifter boot

Suggest searchng for shifter boot in this forum

I did and found this thread where I'd posted a bunch of other similar links in the past

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ift-boots.html
Old 02-11-09, 05:26 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found this once when browsing, i know nothing about it but here ya go.

http://www.jzsinternational.com/serv...-GS-300/Detail
Old 02-12-09, 05:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks Dave for the links & thanks guys for the feedback.. TRD is the theme of my GS.. I am looking to have a black shift boot with red stitching to match this shif **** that I have below..

I found a universal boot from MOMO with black leather & red stitching..

If all else fails, then I will go with the Acura NSX black leather boot.
Old 02-12-09, 10:58 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's my setup...

momo boot and momo ****. quite pricey...but I think it was worth it. fitment is perfect. I had to pull down the excess leather and stretch that trim around it to make it a perfect fit. If you can take apart the center console, you can do it.

here's the **** by itself. i forget what model it's called so i hope the pic helps.

i bought them separately but I knew they would match up. I had to take off that black collar you see there and put the chrome collar that came with the boot. mixing different brand would probably fit, but won't be perfect. it doesn't screw on though. It comes with a rubber boot (comes with 4-5 different sizes) and you put it inside the **** to fit the size of the shaft. And it's also supported by three small screws that you screw onto the thread of the shaft (but covered by the collar).

I hope that helped!

Last edited by kit cat; 02-12-09 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-13-09, 06:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
here's my setup...

momo boot and momo ****. quite pricey...but I think it was worth it. fitment is perfect. I had to pull down the excess leather and stretch that trim around it to make it a perfect fit. If you can take apart the center console, you can do it.

here's the **** by itself. i forget what model it's called so i hope the pic helps.

i bought them separately but I knew they would match up. I had to take off that black collar you see there and put the chrome collar that came with the boot. mixing different brand would probably fit, but won't be perfect. it doesn't screw on though. It comes with a rubber boot (comes with 4-5 different sizes) and you put it inside the **** to fit the size of the shaft. And it's also supported by three small screws that you screw onto the thread of the shaft (but covered by the collar).

I hope that helped!
That looks fantastic Coco! I already have the aftermarket **** I posted & just need the boot.. I see that you have the MOMO boot as I am looking to order the one I posted.. How is it kept in place? Is it kept in place by tucking the outer edges of the boot under the Lexus shifter bezzle ? PM me with a write up if you can
Old 02-13-09, 06:21 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MOMO is the best bet and looks the best
Old 02-13-09, 09:03 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

here's my setup...

Very nice Yuki...I was thinking of doing this mod awhile back...but did the custom wood **** instead.

I think you need a chrome bezel to accentuate the chrome trim on the Momo ****.

Pete
Old 02-13-09, 09:33 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
That looks fantastic Coco! I already have the aftermarket **** I posted & just need the boot.. I see that you have the MOMO boot as I am looking to order the one I posted.. How is it kept in place? Is it kept in place by tucking the outer edges of the boot under the Lexus shifter bezzle ? PM me with a write up if you can
it's wedged between that plastic trim and the shifter and the excess leather is wrapped around the shift gate underneath the console. I might be opening up my console today since my DIY iPod input cord is getting loose. if I do, i'll post up a pic.

Originally Posted by PHML
Very nice Yuki...I was thinking of doing this mod awhile back...but did the custom wood **** instead.

Pete
Thanks pete!! yeah, I do need that chrome piece. i'm just afraid if do start to do that, i'll spend money on the 01+ interior upgrade with money i dont have now. but i found a black chrome one for like 50bucks in Japan...tempting.
Old 02-13-09, 10:08 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You can find the chrome trim on ebay for $35 shipped. It's just like the OEM plastic. I've had mine for a while and they're still good as new! Definitely freshens up the interior.
Old 02-13-09, 11:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

it's wedged between that plastic trim and the shifter and the excess leather is wrapped around the shift gate underneath the console. I might be opening up my console today since my DIY iPod input cord is getting loose. if I do, i'll post up a pic.

Thanks Coco. If you can post up a reference photo that would be great.. I'll pm you if I run into trouble during the install

I will go with the MOMO blk/red stitching boot.. Italy home of Ferrari ftw I have that same chrome surround Gsteg & will post pics of the completed mod.
Old 02-13-09, 12:30 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

here's my setup...

I hope that helped!
that looks great

Originally Posted by PHML
i agree chrome would set it off

yeah, I do need that chrome piece. but i found a black chrome one for like 50bucks in Japan...tempting.
i got mine from carson after sewell couldnt get one....(i broke mine on accident)
i paid like 45 shipped with the carson discount. had to call them to get the discount applied but it worked none the less

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2928

Quick Reply: Questions regarding leather shift boot & knob install for 2 GS.