GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starter problem - starter keeps on cranking when the key is out of the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 05:39 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problem - starter keeps on cranking when the key is out of the ignition

I've had a few starting issues the last month or so. I turned the key on and tried to start up the car but I only get a click. The second or third time it works. The battery was replaced last month.

Today, the starter stayed on even with the ignition turn to the off position and the key removed from it. I had to remove the battery terminal to stop it. I put the terminal back on because I need to put the car in neutral so I could roll it and I put it in the on position and the car started. I turned it off and the starter was still cranking. I turned it back to the on position and the car started up. I left it and I could hear the starter still cranking but there wasn't any grinding noise from the starter. About thirty second later, the starter stopped cranking and it's been starting normally since then then. I am going to bring it to the dealer tomorrow.

Does this sound like a starter, relay, or ignition switch problem? Or is my car possessed?
Old 04-20-08, 08:48 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

aftermarket alarm...??
Old 04-20-08, 09:30 PM
LS_FosHO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by meanboy
I've had a few starting issues the last month or so. I turned the key on and tried to start up the car but I only get a click. The second or third time it works. The battery was replaced last month.

Today, the starter stayed on even with the ignition turn to the off position and the key removed from it. I had to remove the battery terminal to stop it. I put the terminal back on because I need to put the car in neutral so I could roll it and I put it in the on position and the car started. I turned it off and the starter was still cranking. I turned it back to the on position and the car started up. I left it and I could hear the starter still cranking but there wasn't any grinding noise from the starter. About thirty second later, the starter stopped cranking and it's been starting normally since then then. I am going to bring it to the dealer tomorrow.

Does this sound like a starter, relay, or ignition switch problem? Or is my car possessed?
I had the same prob. on my 98 gs3... (couple of weeks ago)
replaced the starter, its all good so far... it seems like it would only do it after i washed the car...... gave her a bath yesterday with new starter and its all good so far(crossing fingers)! Thank God! a buddy of mine is a lex tech. and he stated it was most likely a sticky starter solenoid.
Old 04-20-08, 11:52 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I asked around and that's what it appears to be, a sticky solenoid. I am going to have the starter replaced tomorrow. So far, it's been pretty trouble free since we bought it in 1999. I hope that's it.
Old 04-22-08, 02:22 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Update: Starter replaced and so far so good