GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SRT Intake for GS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-01, 12:19 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. Just got back from seeing MO from Swift Racing in MD. We just installed the first SRT HFI/ECU for the GS430. Let me tell ya. WOW. We had to make some adjustments for the fuel/air mixture programming, but the results were outstanding. We ran out of time to a true Dyno. I will try to get the Dyno completed here with stock intake and then SRT HFI/ECU intake in the next couple of weeks. Some minor changes will have to be worked out, hoses mostly, to make it a perfect fit. The engine cover almost fits perfectly over the intake, not a big problem.

We drove it around to make sure the engine light did not light up and to also get accurate readings for fuel ratios and long term effects.

I am proud to say that I got a second gear upshift bark on my tires. I did not light up the tires(17' stock - no TC yet) - but I squealed them out for a few then on the second shift up it barked the tires. That is a lot of torque. I am very happy with the sound that it produces and also the results.

Mo is working on the final parts in order to get the availability to everyone within a couple of weeks.

Thats my story. I might have another one in a month if I get talked into the SC - Stage 1 for the GS430. Who knows

Khanh

P.S. He will have pics soon. We took a lot of them.
Old 06-30-01, 12:25 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Forgot to mention.

I got better Gas Mileage too.

I averaged 24.8 traveling between 65-85 on the highway.

I checked this several times before and after the SRT intake.

I have ML/NAV so it gives readings. I checked the readings on the way up and it was 21.3 MPG on the way up without SRT. With SRT on the way back went up to 24.8 MPG.

Not bad

Khanh
Old 06-30-01, 03:10 PM
fever
Lead Lap

You're right on that mileage. I have the intake/ecu on my G4 and averaged 26.1 @68 mph on a recent trip. Pretty stellar.
Old 07-02-01, 11:43 AM
Kevin_wong
Driver School Candidate

I have installed the RMM Intake for 3 week ago, but it doesn't make any big different on power, except I can hear a ugly Mustang muffler noise , so I am thinking about to replace the SRT HFI/ECU, do you know how much it costs? And where can I buy it? Someone mentioned about $650....., can I installed by myself?

Thanks

Kev.
Old 07-02-01, 01:31 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

Kevin,

I have heard from many people that the RMM is not a great product whatsoever. In regards to the SRT HFI/ECU combo, i am not sure what the price will be once he is complete with the final updates to accomodate the GS430 motor. There were some hoses that needed to be replaced, they changed around some things and the Air/Fuel Ratio has to be adjusted.

I did notice a difference in the shift points and mid-range acceleration. My car seems to have a lot more torque. We didnt' get a change to Dyno while I was there testing the SRT intake. I will try to provide those numbers sometime soon.

You can contact Mo at Swiftracing for the price. mc@swiftracing.com or www.swiftracing.com

In regards to the noise: It definately doesn't sound like stock. Of course I like a V-8 to sound like a V-8.

If you are thinking about Exhaust for HP gain, it doesn't really give you any HP gains, it seems that its more for sound.

A little story:
My girlfriend has driven my car before the Intake and when I got back she wanted to borrow the car to go to the store, she told me later she floored it and it was "loud" - thats a girl for ya , and that it was much quicker. She likes to drive fast. Crazy I tell ya.

Post if you have any more questions. I will try to help. I am new to this forum.

Khanh

Old 07-02-01, 02:13 PM
Kevin_wong
Driver School Candidate

Khanh,

Thanks for the info!! Mine is 98' GS400, I hope it doesn't need to make any big modify in order to install the SRT intake, but want to know do I need to ask someone to tune it after it installed?

From what you guys said and I read the DYNO diagram from SRT, I pretty impressive about the hp gain, as well as the gas mileage. I think I will not modify the muffler at this time, I just want to keep it as quiet as it can.

Thanks!!!

Kev.
Old 07-02-01, 03:27 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

No you don't need to tune it. The problem with a tunable ECU module is that you can make some very bad mistakes or take it out of the specs - which means check engine lights will come on. Mo from Swift Racing had to make some changes to the original programming designed for the GS400 98-00. The GS430 needed a different air/fuel mixture. We tuned it in to specs and to keep the check engine light from coming on.

I would keep the original exhaust. You won't find a gain except in Sound dB. Believe me - it changes the sound enough. You don't need an exhaust.

Mo - is redesigning the SRT intake with better parts than before and will have it out soon.

Khanh
Old 07-02-01, 03:52 PM
chino78
Rookie

Knguyen you let your girlfriend drive your car? :eek: I'm usually the ONLY person that drives my car unless I HAVE to give it up. I'm drivng to North Carolina in a few days and I'm going to drive all 12 hoursall because I don't want anyone to drive my car. But I can't wait for the intake/ecu to come out! I'm already saving my pennies
Old 07-02-01, 04:42 PM
Kevin_wong
Driver School Candidate

Khanh,

Do you know how soon the new intake come out from SRT? Any spec. yet? Because I am planning to get it from there now.

Thanks again!!

Kev.
Old 07-02-01, 05:31 PM
Knguyen OLD
Rookie

He said in a couple of weeks. it shoud be out -

He will let me know and also everyone else - when.

Peace,

Khanh
Old 07-05-01, 05:36 AM
Swift Racing
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Khanh I am glad to see you are enjoying the intake setup.

We will release the intake systems for the GS430 as scheduled on July 9th. Price is still TBD.