GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

question about normal/sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 05:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
And I still disagree with your last sentence. Ours absolutely does not shift the same at WOT in the different modes. 100% fact on our car and I have repeated the test several times.
What is the difference in how it shifts at WOT?
Old 04-03-15, 05:37 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I've already told you. It downshifts more aggresively....going to a lower gear in many cases at the same speed.
Old 04-03-15, 08:20 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I've already told you. It downshifts more aggresively....going to a lower gear in many cases at the same speed.
Sounds like there still remains a disagreement! rijc99 did an excellent job of disputing your claim, including videos to backup his declaration. I'm a little surprised you felt the need to 'go there' again...

HERE

HERE
Old 04-03-15, 01:34 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Sounds like there still remains a disagreement! rijc99 did an excellent job of disputing your claim, including videos to backup his declaration. I'm a little surprised you felt the need to 'go there' again...

HERE

HERE
His test was at 50 mph, mine was not. I didn't go there, you did and I stated what MY car does. I'm surprised you would act like you know more about what my car does when mine is an Eight speed with Luxury Package and yours is neither of those.
Old 04-03-15, 01:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

His test was at 50 mph, mine was not. I didn't go there, you did and I stated what MY car does. I'm surprised you would act like you know more about what my car does when mine is an Eight speed with Luxury Package and yours is neither of those.
At WOT the GS 350 engine and transmission all perform at peak performance regardless of package or drive mode. I'm surprised you would act like your car somehow performs differently from all the others!

Hints: Ask a Lexus Master technician if under full torque load the engine's ignition mapping and fuel mapping goes to peak performance. Ask a Lexus Master technician if under full torque load the transmission's hydraulic pressure locks up the clutches at peak performance. Take it to a drag strip and make multiple runs in any drive mode you wish in Drive (for quickest ~.10 second shift times) - there will be zero difference in performance of the car.
Old 04-03-15, 03:37 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Felt like taking a drive... Here you go. 47 MPH.

Old 04-03-15, 05:16 PM
jjscsix
Racer

At WOT the GS 350 engine and transmission all perform at peak performance regardless of package or drive mode. I'm surprised you would act like your car somehow performs differently from all the others!

Hints: Ask a Lexus Master technician if under full torque load the engine's ignition mapping and fuel mapping goes to peak performance. Ask a Lexus Master technician if under full torque load the transmission's hydraulic pressure locks up the clutches at peak performance. Take it to a drag strip and make multiple runs in any drive mode you wish in Drive (for quickest ~.10 second shift times) - there will be zero difference in performance of the car.
No more discussion. I know what my car did repeatedly. I'm beyond caring whether you believe me or not.
Old 04-03-15, 06:58 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rijc99
Felt like taking a drive... Here you go. 47 MPH.

http://youtu.be/Zy5GZPHhOoM
No more discussion. I know what my car did repeatedly. I'm beyond caring whether you believe me or not.
jjscsix,

With all due respect I would say rijc99's video (above) going WOT at 47 mph in both ECO drive mode and in Sport+ drive mode engaging the same gear (2nd gear) each time should set things straight for you. My earlier theory that a mere 1-2 mph higher speed (than 47 mph) was likely the tipping point in which you engaged a higher gear in a different Drive Mode was correct, and supported by rijc99's other video in which he went WOT at 50 mph and it engaged 3rd gear each time.

All it took was for you to be off just ~1 mph - and when you were at 47 mph your car would engage 2nd gear, and another time if you were 48 mph your car would engage 3rd gear, which gave you a false impression that different drive modes performed differently at WOT. It does not make any difference which drive mode you are in at WOT - all drive modes perform the same with respect to the engine performance and transmission shifting at WOT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those people that may be interested:

In the tests at 50 mph in each of the Drive Modes, the 8-Speed transmission automatically selected or engaged 3rd Gear each time at 3,500 RPM per the following stats:

2014 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport 8-Speed Transmission
Final Drive Gear Ratio: 2.937
3rd Gear Ratio: 1.863
Tire Circumference: 82.6" (265/35 x 19")
Engine RPM: 3,500
Speed: 50.03 MPH

In the tests at 47 mph in each of the Drive Modes, the 8-Speed transmission automatically selected or engaged 2nd Gear each time at 4,810 RPM per the following stats:

2nd Gear Ratio: 2.724
Engine RPM: 4,810
Speed: 47.03 MPH

Last edited by bclexus; 04-03-15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 04:25 AM
jjscsix
Racer

jjscsix,

With all due respect I would say rijc99's video (above) going WOT at 47 mph in both ECO drive mode and in Sport+ drive mode engaging the same gear (2nd gear) each time should set things straight for you. My earlier theory that a mere 1-2 mph higher speed (than 47 mph) was likely the tipping point in which you engaged a higher gear in a different Drive Mode was correct, and supported by rijc99's other video in which he went WOT at 50 mph and it engaged 3rd gear each time.

All it took was for you to be off just ~1 mph - and when you were at 47 mph your car would engage 2nd gear, and another time if you were 48 mph your car would engage 3rd gear, which gave you a false impression that different drive modes performed differently at WOT. It does not make any difference which drive mode you are in at WOT - all drive modes perform the same with respect to the engine performance and transmission shifting at WOT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For those people that may be interested:

In the tests at 50 mph in each of the Drive Modes, the 8-Speed transmission automatically selected or engaged 3rd Gear each time at 3,500 RPM per the following stats:

3rd Gear Ratio: 1.863
Engine RPM: 3,500
Speed: 50.03 MPH

In the tests at 47 mph in each of the Drive Modes, the 8-Speed transmission automatically selected or engaged 2nd Gear each time at 4,810 RPM per the following stats:

2nd Gear Ratio: 2.724
Engine RPM: 4,810
Speed: 47.03 MPH
What part of "No more discussion" do you not get? I know what my car does and you don't. What you are doing is calling me a liar when you have never ridden in my car. Yours does not do what my car does, I get that. I'm not telling you that you or your buddy are wrong because I have not ridden in your cars.

Last edited by jjscsix; 04-04-15 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 04:45 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

What part of "No more discussion" do you not get? I know what my car does and you don't. What you are doing is calling me a liar when you have never ridden in my car. Yours does not do what my car does, I get that. I'm not telling you that you or your buddy are wrong because I have not ridden in your cars.
I would like to chime in too with my experiances. Maby you think different drive modes give you different WOT results because you did not activate the full throttle mode in your gas pedal. The full throttle mode is the detent at the end of the pedal travel that if you press a little harder it will activate. Maby when you were in WOT in eco you didnt activate this Full Throttle Mode and when you tried sport mode you did?

Also we are all human and everyone will percieve speed differently, its like a placibo effect. When people install giant wings and spoilers on their cars and replace air filter they may feel as if their car has more horsepower and is going faster. But when you take it to the Dynometer they found out that they gained zero HP.

I raced motorcycles most of my life and regularly take my 2014 GS 350 rwd to the the track and with my experiance I can tell you without a doubt that WOT in ANY mode will net you the SAME result. Either this is true or maby Lexus built you a rare UNICORN and everyone else got the VANILLA version of the GS.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 04-04-15 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 08:22 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

jjscsix - If you prefer 'no more discussion', then that is your choice to make, but only for yourself mind you. You did not start this thread, nor can you instruct others not to discuss a topic that many members find to be an interesting topic just because you disagree with others. You were the one who interjected your comment into this thread about disagreeing, which prompted the discussion that you later wanted to cease. No one has called you a liar - in fact everyone has been very courteous in their disagreement with you and have been most amicable to you when providing solid evidence in a professional manner. So, your view of how you've been treated is simply erroneous. You are most welcome to continue to join in, and I wish you would...
Old 04-04-15, 08:27 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I would like to chime in too with my experiances. Maby you think different drive modes give you different WOT results because you did not activate the full throttle mode in your gas pedal. The full throttle mode is the detent at the end of the pedal travel that if you press a little harder it will activate. Maby when you were in WOT in eco you didnt activate this Full Throttle Mode and when you tried sport mode you did?

Also we are all human and everyone will percieve speed differently, its like a placibo effect. When people install giant wings and spoilers on their cars and replace air filter they may feel as if their car has more horsepower and is going faster. But when you take it to the Dynometer they found out that they gained zero HP.

I raced motorcycles most of my life and regularly take my 2014 GS 350 rwd to the the track and with my experiance I can tell you without a doubt that WOT in ANY mode will net you the SAME result. Either this is true or maby Lexus built you a rare UNICORN and everyone else got the VANILLA version of the GS.
Thank you for your input - your definite and firm conviction concurs with mine.

Last edited by bclexus; 04-04-15 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-04-15, 02:29 PM
jjscsix
Racer

jjscsix - If you prefer 'no more discussion', then that is your choice to make, but only for yourself mind you. You did not start this thread, nor can you instruct others not to discuss a topic that many members find to be an interesting topic just because you disagree with others. You were the one who interjected your comment into this thread about disagreeing, which prompted the discussion that you later wanted to cease. No one has called you a liar - in fact everyone has been very courteous in their disagreement with you and have been most amicable to you when providing solid evidence in a professional manner. So, your view of how you've been treated is simply erroneous. You are most welcome to continue to join in, and I wish you would...
I never told anyone they can't discuss the subject. I said I was not going to discuss it. You have told me that you don't believe my car is doing what I have said it is doing. How is that not calling me a liar?
Old 04-04-15, 02:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I never told anyone they can't discuss the subject. I said I was not going to discuss it. You have told me that you don't believe my car is doing what I have said it is doing. How is that not calling me a liar?
jjscsix,

Whether you want to admit it or not, it is you that continues to place yourself in this discussion!

You are very correct - I do not believe your car is doing what you have said it is doing. But, in no way is that belief even remotely close to calling you a liar. As I have stated more than once - I believe your speed was right on the tipping-point bubble when you ran your tests...with 47 mph in one mode and just a mere 1 mph higher at say 48 mph when tested in another drive mode, which caused your car to downshift to 2nd gear in the 47 mph test and downshift [only] to 3rd gear in the 48 mph test. And, this [I believe] gave you a false perception in which you wrongly think that your car's drive modes perform differently at WOT. Maybe you didn't press the accelerator pedal to the floorboard quite as fast in one test. But does that make you a liar? Absolutely not! Does my explanation of what I think happened in your test make you out to be a liar? No! Have I called you a liar? No! I do, however, think that you are having a very difficult time admitting that you have learned something, and that you are mistaken. But that's your tender ego and a distorted sense of social stigma on an Internet forum, which is not my problem...

Last edited by bclexus; 04-04-15 at 04:53 PM.