Buying New (GS350) Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 08:51 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Buying New (GS350) Question

Hello,

So, I have never bought a new car before so this may be a stupid question; I am considering spec'ing out a 2015 GS exactly how I want and am wondering if the price will be affected by what dealer I use, or is the price is what it is?

I will be trading in my '08 or '98 GS so I am guessing there will be some variance in what I can get on trade in, but as far as MSRP, will it be that same at my dealer in Palm Springs vs Lexus dealers on the coast?

Thanks for the space.
Old 09-13-14, 09:09 AM
FishBike
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 3 Posts

MSRP should be the same at any dealer, but that doesn't really matter, because dealers can and often do sell for less than that. It's worth getting a quote from several different dealers. That gives them an incentive to give you a lower price, as they'd rather make less money than make no money at all because you bought somewhere else.
Old 09-13-14, 09:13 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Sometimes it pays to drive a little farther to get the best price. Also, go to a dealership that sells large volume compared to the smaller, boutique sized ones. Since you're in Palm Springs hit up Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA.
Old 09-13-14, 01:43 PM
EndlessRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Sometimes it pays to drive a little farther to get the best price. Also, go to a dealership that sells large volume compared to the smaller, boutique sized ones. Since you're in Palm Springs hit up Longo Lexus in El Monte, CA.
Longo's a joke. Every quote I got from them is significantly higher than elsewhere.
Old 09-13-14, 03:19 PM
Sosodef79
Pole Position

Woodland Hills Lexus ask for Keith in the internet Sales Department tell him Nam sent you
Old 09-13-14, 04:36 PM
IMAGINTHAT
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the responses gents.
Old 09-14-14, 04:40 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spect the car you want and then contact the Internet Sales Manager at multiple dealers via email. They will all email you quotes and you can get them bidding for your business. Once one settles on a price you are happy with, then you'll know what dealer to use. When you go to the dealer, you will not have to haggle over the price, that will already be settled and you can just enjoy the experience.

Also, since you will be trading in your '08 or '98, I would suggest you just sell it outright. There are no tax advantages in CA for trading in a vehicle (meaning you pay sales tax on the full amount of the new care whether you have a trade or not). Also, with the age of your vehicles, a Lexus dealer will just wholesale them out, so they will not give you very much in trade at all. You most likely will be able to get at least $1k - $3k more by selling them yourself.
Old 09-14-14, 04:43 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I agree, I had a great experience at Longo.
Old 09-14-14, 06:51 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin2011
Spect the car you want and then contact the Internet Sales Manager at multiple dealers via email. They will all email you quotes and you can get them bidding for your business. Once one settles on a price you are happy with, then you'll know what dealer to use. When you go to the dealer, you will not have to haggle over the price, that will already be settled and you can just enjoy the experience.

Also, since you will be trading in your '08 or '98, I would suggest you just sell it outright. There are no tax advantages in CA for trading in a vehicle (meaning you pay sales tax on the full amount of the new care whether you have a trade or not). Also, with the age of your vehicles, a Lexus dealer will just wholesale them out, so they will not give you very much in trade at all. You most likely will be able to get at least $1k - $3k more by selling them yourself.
Actually, you should haggle a little, as there are some things to haggle over. Pitting two dealerships against each other is the way to go. Trade in value (which is basically them taking a hit on the sale) is worth haggling for, but don't expect to get anything close to retail because they wholesale the car at auctions or keep them on hand as a "cash car".

Also, timing is everything. Now that the 2015 GS has been reviewed, it'll be showing up at dealers soon, so they'll be wanting to clear the 2014's off the lot. They also have seasonal events (summer, December to Remember, etc.) with lease incentives and other goodies to move cars. If you live in a city that airs Lexus ads, when you start seeing them frequently talking about incentives, that's the time to make your move. Unless your current car is bleeding oil and about to die, you can wait a few months and save thousands.
Old 09-14-14, 07:24 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Give DCH Lexus of Oxnard a try, ask for Anthony Huerta or Tom Zachariah, they're both real Internet Sales Managers and can give u prices without haggling all day. This dealer also gave me the most $$$ for my trades.
Old 09-14-14, 10:21 PM
Dustin2011
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Actually, you should haggle a little, as there are some things to haggle over. Pitting two dealerships against each other is the way to go. Trade in value (which is basically them taking a hit on the sale) is worth haggling for, but don't expect to get anything close to retail because they wholesale the car at auctions or keep them on hand as a "cash car".

Also, timing is everything. Now that the 2015 GS has been reviewed, it'll be showing up at dealers soon, so they'll be wanting to clear the 2014's off the lot. They also have seasonal events (summer, December to Remember, etc.) with lease incentives and other goodies to move cars. If you live in a city that airs Lexus ads, when you start seeing them frequently talking about incentives, that's the time to make your move. Unless your current car is bleeding oil and about to die, you can wait a few months and save thousands.
You totally missed what I was saying.... Do your haggling via email pinning dealers against each other. You get all your haggling done BEFORE you ever go to the dealer.