Beat Sonic DVD/Navigation Override Install Notes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-14, 10:04 PM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Beat Sonic DVD/Navigation Override Install Notes

Not a full install guide but some things to watch out for:

* Be sure to put some painter's tap or other protective tap over your full cup holder lid... you'll likely scratch this area if you don't as the clearance is very tight when removing the center trim piece

* There are 9 clips per the diagram below, to start pulling off the center trim panel, you can wedge you fingers under the driver's side lower panel at the very bottom to get an initial clip to pop... from there, wrap a screwdriver in tape and pop the lower panel on the passenger side then just work your way up
* Be careful with the clips on the top center of the trim by the clock; this part is pretty flimsy

* You only need to remove the one large connector on the right side of the radio. No other connectors are modified
* Removing this connector caught me out for alittle bit... you can take a flat head, push in the lower grey tab and pivot to get the grey connector to rotate out from the unit... following that, keep on rotating/pushing on the grey connector until the full white connector comes out of the unit.
* I don't know if that's the correct procedure, but I didn't break anything; caution is warranted!

* When it comes time to "split" the connector after you've removed the grey locking lever, flip the connector upside down and push down on the piece you're trying to remove... this is illustrated in the original japanese instructions. It does not slide front to back when looking at the pins of the connector, but rather up and down.
* In order to remove the grey lever off the white connector, push the lever back to the "closed" position... from here it's easy to pull out on both sides and slide the lever off the connector; you won't be able to do this with the lever in the open position.

* Be very conservative with your use of the foam tape when wrapping the male -> female connection, you'll want to use the remaining foam tape to wrap the unneeded GPS connectors and perhaps the beatsonic module itself if you're lazy

* The beatsonic module itself can be stuck to the underside of the radio if you don't have the air purifier module in your GS ( The service manual stated that there should have been an ion pump module in that location )
* For myself I just wrapped the beat sonic module in foam tape and pushed it off to the passenger side inbetween the radio and the glove box... be sure to push it right up next to the glove box.

* To route the push button, guide the wire over to the bottom driver side portion of the removed center trim panel... have the wire exit inbetween the center trim panel and the center console and then stick the button somewhere close to your parking brake switch
* Note in the diagram that the driver bottom of the trim panel is pretty far away from any of the clips; this is the area you'll be able to route the wire between the panels without too much compression stress on the wire.

Happy Installing!
Attached Thumbnails Beat Sonic DVD/Navigation Override Install Notes-clip_location.jpg