GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Does the Mark Levinson sound system make your Bluetooth phone sound better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 03:42 PM
philj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Mark Levinson sound system make your Bluetooth phone sound better?

Currently I own an LS 460 but I'm considering trading in my LS on a 2014 GS F Sport

I was playing with the GS phone interface and I called my wife to see how I sounded. She told me that I did not sound as good as I do in the LS and she did not sound as good to me as she does in the LS. In the LS I have a Mark Levinson sound system.

Does anybody else feel the same way?

Does the Mark Levinson sound system sound better?

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you

Phil
Old 11-13-13, 06:25 PM
Vulaj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know one thing..the mark levinson in my GS is absolutely the best sound system you can get in a car without adding anything into it! I absolutely am impressed with it and I'm very hard to please LOL
Old 11-13-13, 06:59 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vulaj
I know one thing..the mark levinson in my GS is absolutely the best sound system you can get in a car without adding anything into it! I absolutely am impressed with it and I'm very hard to please LOL
have you compared it to the regular system? I have the regular one and i get compliments on it and people think its a custom sound system or something, they get kinda amazed when i tell them its the stock one lol

is the ML significantly better?
Old 11-13-13, 07:08 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I think he's referring to the Bluetooth phone call sound quality over the ML. I haven't used the premium system but the call quality is still pretty crappy on ML. In contrast, music over Bluetooth however is superb.
Old 11-13-13, 07:35 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I think he's referring to the Bluetooth phone call sound quality over the ML. I haven't used the premium system but the call quality is still pretty crappy on ML. In contrast, music over Bluetooth however is superb.
Same experience here. The ML sounds awesome regardless of source (minus XM which sounds like garbage). Ipod, bluetooth streaming, DVD audio, even Pandora in hq mode sounds good. I think sometimes the music is a bit too much for the interior fitment as there are some rattles here and there but I haven't cared enough to document them and hand them to the dealer yet.
Old 11-13-13, 08:31 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of us drive our GS but if you sit on your driveway and sit in the back and just chill out it's fantastic.
Old 11-13-13, 09:51 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bluetooth phone in the GS is lousy at best. Nothing like the other Lexus sedans and cannot compete with the Germans. The speaker is very high treble and the sound only comes out of the central speaker which is quite pathetic whereas the bluetooth audio music gets played through all the speakers. I hate this car's bluetooth telephone so much that i just use my own bluetooth headset. My audi, bmw, and mercedes are worlds better in this regard.
Old 11-14-13, 05:13 AM
philj
Driver

Originally Posted by Rexus300
The bluetooth phone in the GS is lousy at best. Nothing like the other Lexus sedans and cannot compete with the Germans. The speaker is very high treble and the sound only comes out of the central speaker which is quite pathetic whereas the bluetooth audio music gets played through all the speakers. I hate this car's bluetooth telephone so much that i just use my own bluetooth headset. My audi, bmw, and mercedes are worlds better in this regard.
I was afraid of that!

It's too bad because the speakerphone in the LS is great. Also I never hear any complaints from the people I'm calling. I am a salesperson so it's important that people can hear me when I call them.

I'm actually more concerned with how I sound to the people I call and less concerned with hearing the people that call me.

It's probably crazy but I'm checking to see if the part number of the microphone for the LS is the same part number for the microphone of the GS. I'm going to find out if I can switch to a better microphone and if that will make the sound quality at the other end of the line better.

Thank you

Phil
Old 11-14-13, 05:57 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would say the LS460 is acoustically a better base vs the GS.

The sound isolation in the LS is superior, where as the GS is not as insulated, as the car was designed to allow engine noise into the cabin to give a more aggressive feel.

My two cents.
Old 11-14-13, 06:20 AM
philj
Driver

Originally Posted by DaSyce
I would say the LS460 is acoustically a better base vs the GS.

The sound isolation in the LS is superior, where as the GS is not as insulated, as the car was designed to allow engine noise into the cabin to give a more aggressive feel.

My two cents.

I am sure you are correct. In this case I was inside the dealership with the engine off and I did not sound as good to the person I was calling as in my LS.

Using your same logic I am hoping the quality of the LS Mic is better and that I can switch out the mic and as a result sound better to the people i am calling.

thank you..

phil

PS: I am looking at your same car GS F Sport
Old 11-14-13, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,555 Likes on 1,842 Posts

I'm also in sales and I never have problems with people hearing me. The audio quality is strangely not as good as it was in my 2010 ES, but once I played around with the settings it no longer bothers me...

I wouldn't get into swapping out mics, just adjust the settings.
Old 05-07-14, 08:57 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm also in sales and I never have problems with people hearing me. The audio quality is strangely not as good as it was in my 2010 ES, but once I played around with the settings it no longer bothers me...

I wouldn't get into swapping out mics, just adjust the settings.
What settings? Help. Just "upgraded" from a 08 to a 14. Both have the ML audio. Phone sounds very natural on 08 but it is tinny and cheap sounding on 14.
Old 05-07-14, 09:28 AM
philj
Driver

i ended up buying another LS. the sound is fine
Old 05-07-14, 07:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by philj
I was afraid of that!

It's too bad because the speakerphone in the LS is great. Also I never hear any complaints from the people I'm calling. I am a salesperson so it's important that people can hear me when I call them.

I'm actually more concerned with how I sound to the people I call and less concerned with hearing the people that call me.
I'm also in sales and was always told that listening is as important as talking.