GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Can you lock the car while the car is running?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 07:24 PM
StonedCL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you lock the car while the car is running?

I tried to lock the car while it was running so I can run a quick errand and let my car cool down in the 100 degree weather we are having and it would not lock even though I had the key. In my Nissan and Infiniti I can lock the door while it is running... Is there a setting or anything that would allow me to lock the car while running?
Old 07-19-13, 07:53 PM
JohnBon20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StonedCL
I tried to lock the car while it was running so I can run a quick errand and let my car cool down in the 100 degree weather we are having and it would not lock even though I had the key. In my Nissan and Infiniti I can lock the door while it is running... Is there a setting or anything that would allow me to lock the car while running?
Not that I know of. Sorry
Old 07-19-13, 07:55 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Have you tried using the smartkey button rather than the door handle button? Otherwise you might ask a service tech but I don't believe you can do that and I don't think there is a setting that can be changed.

Dave Mac
Old 07-19-13, 09:10 PM
GS250
Driver

in sport+, if you don't drive hard, it will still accelerate smoothly but still down shift very willing when you need it.
Old 07-19-13, 10:28 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GS250
in sport+, if you don't drive hard, it will still accelerate smoothly but still down shift very willing when you need it.
LoL.

I would love that feature. We should be allowed to lock the doors if the key is not inside the car. I wanted to do the same a few times. I wonder if anyone can dive it off without the keys? I doubt it but the question just popped in. This and the remote start... Just sucks.
Old 07-19-13, 11:25 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
LoL.

I would love that feature. We should be allowed to lock the doors if the key is not inside the car. I wanted to do the same a few times. I wonder if anyone can dive it off without the keys? I doubt it but the question just popped in. This and the remote start... Just sucks.
As far as I know once the car is started you can drive it until you turn it off. I don't know of any intelligent key system that shuts the car off if separated from the car. Yea and don't get me started with the RES...
Old 07-20-13, 06:04 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

LoL.

yes you can drive the car without the key in it. a valet brought my car to me and still had the key in his pocket when i drove off. i got home and shut off the car and as i walked away, i reached in my pocket for the fob to lock the door and realized i didn't have the key. the restaurant had to bring my key to me.
Old 07-20-13, 06:32 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Don't you get a warning of "key out of range" when the FOB is not close? I remember seeing that on the '13 Avalon I test drove and the salesman with the key walked away. I just assumed if I put it in gear, it would shut off. I haven't checked it on my ES, though. This may explain why the car turns off when you open the door when using the "awesome" remote start Lexus offers. You would think it would be a simple task for Lexus to program the car to shut off in gear, if the key was not present, like all other remote start systems.
Old 07-20-13, 07:27 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like remote start option is the only solution so far to have engine on with key outside of car.

My previous Infiniti could be locked by pressing the INSIDE door lock button with the remote outside of the car then closing the door. Very handy feature.
Old 07-20-13, 08:21 AM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

You can lock it with the car on but with the key. You gotta take the key off the fob and manually lock it and unlock it to get back in
Old 07-20-13, 07:36 PM
jahdish
Rookie

A function that should definitely be offered. I often run errands w/ my dog in the car (in FL) and leave it running for her. I have done this numerous times thinking I was locking the car with the key fob while running until my wife proved me wrong. Not happy at all with lexus on this one.
Old 07-21-13, 09:20 AM
StonedCL
Driver School Candidate

this is horrible , I always leave my car on to run quick errands and I thought this would be a no brainer..
I hope there is something the dealer can do to make this work.. In the nissan / infiniti i always lock the door with the car on and if the key was in the car then it would give me a audible alert and not lock the door. If the key was outside the car then you can lock it with it running. one more question if the key is in the car then will it allow you to lock the door?
Old 07-22-13, 03:13 AM
GS250
Driver

LoL.

mate. my bad was going to reply to the other thread about S+shift. was wonder why my reply wasnt there when i looked at that thread yesterday

i would think you can use the turn key to lock it,
Old 07-22-13, 03:15 AM
GS250
Driver

Originally Posted by StonedCL
this is horrible , I always leave my car on to run quick errands and I thought this would be a no brainer..
I hope there is something the dealer can do to make this work.. In the nissan / infiniti i always lock the door with the car on and if the key was in the car then it would give me a audible alert and not lock the door. If the key was outside the car then you can lock it with it running. one more question if the key is in the car then will it allow you to lock the door?
no. even if the engine is off, it will not allow if the key is inside and will feedback with a long beep sound.
Old 07-22-13, 05:41 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
You can lock it with the car on but with the key. You gotta take the key off the fob and manually lock it and unlock it to get back in
Works for me. I did it yesterday.