GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Occasional drop of all sound function

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 01:10 PM
cubbob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional drop of all sound function

Does anyone have an issue and solution for this problem? Occasionally when I am driving the entire sound system goes off. Radio, cd, phone, and voice commands. Dealer has not been able to recreate it, but sound usually returns after shutting engine.
Old 03-29-13, 02:53 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cubbob
Does anyone have an issue and solution for this problem? Occasionally when I am driving the entire sound system goes off. Radio, cd, phone, and voice commands. Dealer has not been able to recreate it, but sound usually returns after shutting engine.
Do all buttons and dials become unresponsive? If so, I had this problem in my LS with ML. Incredibly, the dealer WAS able to recreate it while test driving car for new brakes. Fix required installation of new head unit. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-13, 05:29 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yep I have this same problem, would to know what the answer is as well.
Old 03-29-13, 05:59 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

it has happened to me, everything went out, i didn't even have a back up camera. a couple of sales people at lexus said that it happened to them also and they have the 2013 GS. they said they ignored it because they figured it was an update... i just scratched my head when they told me that. it hasn't happened since and i'd forgotten about it.
Old 03-29-13, 07:24 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Do all buttons and dials become unresponsive? If so, I had this problem in my LS with ML. Incredibly, the dealer WAS able to recreate it while test driving car for new brakes. Fix required installation of new head unit. Hope this helps.
weird.... my mom's LS 460 radio (ML) randomly died today... she told me she was driving and lost the radio (AM) tried restarting the car still no audio. Its the radio, nav, bluetooth calls etc....Hope its not the head unit as I think the car is out of warranty.
Old 03-29-13, 08:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My iPod stops occasionally (even in mid song) and just shows that the radio is off. I have to reboot it and plug it in again. I've never had the radio go off, but then I rarely listen to it.
Old 03-29-13, 11:36 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Next time it happen try to document by video then bring it to your dealer.
Old 03-30-13, 09:21 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
My iPod stops occasionally (even in mid song) and just shows that the radio is off. I have to reboot it and plug it in again. I've never had the radio go off, but then I rarely listen to it.
It's rumored that some hiccup during the transfer of album art from iPod to head unit can cause this kind of lockup. You can disable it somewhere in the Setup screens. You might want to try it and see if it stops your lockups (IF you can live without tiny album cover pics during music selection, of course)
Old 05-30-14, 08:22 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Bringing this topic back up since I am currently experiencing the same exact problem on my F-Sport after getting my car back from the body shop (which took about 1.5 months after a rear-end accident I was involved in). Off and on and at infrequent states, I turn on the vehicle and automatically get sound from the audio system for either a minute, 5 or 10 minutes into the drive, and then all of a sudden the audio sound dropped from any music source (radio, CD, USB/AUX or BT audio), including the haptic sound from the remote touch controller device. I would have to shut off the vehicle for at least a few, and then turn on the GS to get the sound to come back on.

Like I said, this issue has been surfacing ever since I got the car back and fixed from the accident, and never once I had that issue prior to the accident. So I'm thinking maybe the connection to the amplifier from the trunk area may have been compromised from the rear-end collision incurred? Well in any case, I have made an appointment tomorrow afternoon to bring to the Lexus dealer to have it looked and repaired. Sucks to once again be without the GS again for some time, but I absolutely got to have that fixed since I cannot stand driving without any music lol
Old 05-30-14, 08:56 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I traded for an iPod Nano and no longer have the dropouts. Sounds like your situation is something altogether different tho. I would get Lexus to check it out.
Old 05-30-14, 09:09 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something weird is going on lately in my car too! !! Im getting drop sounds too when listening to music on bluetooth.
Old 06-01-14, 06:43 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Something weird is going on lately in my car too! !! Im getting drop sounds too when listening to music on bluetooth.
Bluetooth drops aren't unusual, sometimes another wireless signal will overpower it just for a second. It happens on mine extremely infrequently, usually shortly after the Bluetooth connection is established.

I've had the head unit act up exactly once since I bought it last August. Nothing on the screen, no controls, nothing. Rebooted the car and it was fixed. I think I froze it up by starting the car and putting it into reverse before everything loaded.