GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

1st gen GS300 Miss Firing

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 01:39 PM
OnMy2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1st gen GS300 Miss Firing

If anyone can help me with this it will very appreciated, somehow my care is Miss firing, I replaced the space plugs, wires and did an oil change just in case it was that. That care is still running the same, it starts up ok but when I rev it does not go pass 4RPM. When I drive it doesn’t go pass 80mph and it has a slow pick up, it also takes long to shift but it doesn’t seem like a transmission problem. Does anyone have an ideal what this might be??

Please Help!
Old 03-03-14, 03:19 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you might have some clogged catalytic converters. What year GS is it? If it's 1996 or newer, I'd go get it scanned for free somewhere and see if they can pull any codes.
Old 03-03-14, 05:09 PM
Titten
Driver

How does it idle? Does it shake or is it missing? Is it running rich? How old are yer O2 sensors?
Old 03-04-14, 07:55 AM
OnMy2jz
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
I think you might have some clogged catalytic converters. What year GS is it? If it's 1996 or newer, I'd go get it scanned for free somewhere and see if they can pull any codes.

I belive your right, I had it checked last night & they told me that its my catalytic. I guess this means im going stright pipe.... YEA!!! LoL!!
As soon as I remove it I will let youknow if that was the problem or not. I also got it scan last night and got like 6 codes (not good) but it seemed like my O2 sensers need to be chnage as well.

Thanks for the advise, I will keep you updated.

Old 03-04-14, 07:59 AM
OnMy2jz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Titten
How does it idle? Does it shake or is it missing? Is it running rich? How old are yer O2 sensors?
After I changed the spak & wires it was idleing at 2RPM's. sometimes when I start it it shakes. What do you mean if its running Rich??
I bought the 2 top ones Bank 1 & Bank 2 anout 2 years ago Denso but never changes the lower one.

Thank you Mate!
Old 03-04-14, 07:07 PM
RyanV9
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Running rich means it's throwing too much fuel in the cylinders. Bad O2 sensors could be a cause of this.

To me it seems like too often people like to claim the catalytic converter has failed. Usually it's emission related when it happens, but anyway, I had a similar issue with a BMW before and the problem was actually the O2 sensor. The car would idle ok, and run ok under light throttle, but if I tried putting my foot down it would run like crap.
Old 03-04-14, 08:21 PM
Titten
Driver

Originally Posted by RyanV9
Running rich means it's throwing too much fuel in the cylinders. Bad O2 sensors could be a cause of this.

To me it seems like too often people like to claim the catalytic converter has failed. Usually it's emission related when it happens, but anyway, I had a similar issue with a BMW before and the problem was actually the O2 sensor. The car would idle ok, and run ok under light throttle, but if I tried putting my foot down it would run like crap.
This X1000000
Old 03-05-14, 10:35 AM
OnMy2jz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RyanV9

I believe that might be the problem as well, I’m going thru gas like if its evaporating... I might have to change them even tho I have only had the tow top ones for about a year and a half. Would you recommend I change all 3??
Thanks for the info and for answering my question.
Old 03-06-14, 09:57 PM
PIONEER
Driver

if you have a clogged cat, after you drive the car at night, it might be glowing red from heat. you can go to autozone, have them run a OBD test on the car. it will tell you if the O2 sensor is within range or needs to be replaced.