GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Trouble gs300/aristo swap. Torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 09:09 AM
yukkerz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble gs300/aristo swap. Torque converter?

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my car and I am not sure what it is. Today as I was pulling into work I gave it some gas and nothing. Just revved. Kept trying and nothing. You can feel it trying to go but it just won't. Pulled it into a spot and tried reverse and everything and it just won't engage. Let it sit for a little while I was busting my ***. Went back and was able to put it in reverse and drive around the parking lot. Slowly it started to do the same thing. Give it throttle and it just revs. Would that be the torque converter? If not what else could it be. Please I could use the help.
Old 11-04-13, 01:46 PM
Felixmanx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yukkerz
Hello everyone, I have a problem with my car and I am not sure what it is. Today as I was pulling into work I gave it some gas and nothing. Just revved. Kept trying and nothing. You can feel it trying to go but it just won't. Pulled it into a spot and tried reverse and everything and it just won't engage. Let it sit for a little while I was busting my ***. Went back and was able to put it in reverse and drive around the parking lot. Slowly it started to do the same thing. Give it throttle and it just revs. Would that be the torque converter? If not what else could it be. Please I could use the help.
The seals in the tranny are bad. When it heats up, it'll start slipping there's a Lucas oil that helps for a bit. Just till you make home. But you need a rebuild. No more burnouts for you!!!!
Old 11-04-13, 02:01 PM
yukkerz
Driver School Candidate

Got the car back in June and haven't done a single burnout yet. DAMN!
Rebuilds cost more than a new used tranny. Thanks for the help man.
Old 11-04-13, 02:07 PM
Felixmanx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yukkerz
Got the car back in June and haven't done a single burnout yet. DAMN!
Rebuilds cost more than a new used tranny. Thanks for the help man.

I could be wrong.. It could be something else. But I blew a tranny once. Sounds like the same symptoms.
Old 11-06-13, 01:09 AM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Could also just be low on fluid. Check that first. If it is low top it off with appropriate fluid and check for leaks. Most common would be pan gasket and output shaft seal.

I highly do not recommend any kind of additive but if you are rebuilding it or flushing it soon its OK to limp it home that way.
Old 11-06-13, 07:16 AM
yukkerz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nixspeed
Could also just be low on fluid. Check that first. If it is low top it off with appropriate fluid and check for leaks. Most common would be pan gasket and output shaft seal.

I highly do not recommend any kind of additive but if you are rebuilding it or flushing it soon its OK to limp it home that way.
Thanks, it was weird. I have another question. Recently I have been having trouble with my brakes. Got alot heavier and stiffer. Like bad pressure. Would that have anything to do with it. The brake booster doens't effect the transmission. I checked the fluid today. (only while cold, will check warm later) and it was high!. Past the warm mark. Could anything else account for this. Like I said before the transmission never gave me any problems or sounds until this. And I know now its not the torque converter.
Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 11-07-13, 06:15 AM
yukkerz
Driver School Candidate

I am pretty sure the trans is gone. Getting a boostlogic trans and titan motorsports stall. Would that bolt right up to the aristo 2jzgte? Getting it for a great price so I can't pass it up.
Old 11-07-13, 01:05 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Yes that'll bolt up if its for the TT supra. That's the same setup I'm thinking about. Let me know how you like it.
Old 11-09-13, 07:35 AM
yukkerz
Driver School Candidate

Yes that'll bolt up if its for the TT supra. That's the same setup I'm thinking about. Let me know how you like it.
Cool, I figured it would. Can't wait to get the car back. Getting it installed this weekend. Will have a update and video of the car soon.
Old 11-09-13, 06:26 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

That's quick. Good for you. Hope it works good. I'm more concerned with daily driveability with that setup. I like how smooth and driveable mine is stock. Just won't hold the power I'm going for. Big power and stock driveability I know is a stretch.
Old 11-09-13, 07:00 PM
yukkerz
Driver School Candidate

That's quick. Good for you. Hope it works good. I'm more concerned with daily driveability with that setup. I like how smooth and driveable mine is stock. Just won't hold the power I'm going for. Big power and stock driveability I know is a stretch.
I got to drive in a 800hp supra today with the same trans/stall setup. Shifts fast and firm. Under normal driving conditions it shifts smooth, wouldn't bother me at all.
Old 11-10-13, 06:15 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

How's the high stall under cruise?

Glad to hear. That's about where I'll be after.
Old 11-15-13, 08:01 PM
yukkerz
Driver School Candidate

How's the high stall under cruise?

Glad to hear. That's about where I'll be after.
Hey!, I couldn't ask more from this setup. The stall is high and you can feel it for sure. Takes more throttle to get it moving but it all together feels great. I cannot believe how fast this shifts still. when using manual mode from 1 or 2 you can feel it. In drive it just goes. Almost feels like 1 long gear lol.
Old 11-18-13, 10:23 AM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

When just cruising is the the high stall very noticeable? What rpm stall is it?
Old 11-25-13, 04:31 PM
yukkerz
Driver School Candidate

When just cruising is the the high stall very noticeable? What rpm stall is it?
3800rpm stall. The car is louder because it takes a bit more throttle to get it going. It is noticeable at points but doesn't bother me or feel bad in any way.

Quick Reply: Trouble gs300/aristo swap. Torque converter?