Questions on NA-T Electronics, and OBD conversions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-09, 06:37 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on NA-T Electronics, and OBD conversions

Hey everyone.

For those that have gone the NA-T route before, I have quite a few questions concerning piggyback ecus, fuel controllers, etc. Now, I've already gone over this:

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=10

Which seems to me like an Na-T bible, and I've scoured alot of clubna-t and CL searching for conclusive answers to reliability after boosting. I am trying to boost my car, but I want to maintain reliability and stability in the system (6psi on stock headgasket, stock fuel, etc). When doing a simple turbo setup, I know one can use the SAFCs, Neo, Greddy blue/ultimas etc. But the problem with these is that they are limited in what they can do, as well as ability to tune. There is the common stallout issue after pressing the gas and letting off quickly, where the piggyback and the ecu can't compensate and the car dies. Some say that some piggybacks are capable of cancelling this issue, but it seems the evidence is rather controversial and inconclusive to me (from reading the various posts on the forums) and I don't have the money to try out multiple piggybacks and fuel control setups.

This leads me to thinking the AEM FIC (seeing as the EMS is WAAAY too much money for me now) is the best option because it is well known that it cancels out the stalling issue, has a much finer range in terms to tuning and sensor information, and contains the features of the other less expensive piggybacks, BUT from what I've read, it is dependent on having an OBD2 vehicle (but i've also read that OBD1 is accepted as well, any input on this?).

Which brings me to my next conundrum of OBD1 to OBD2 conversions. I've spoken with Rising_Sun about this before and he's done it before on SC300s where I believe the MAF and ECU had to be taken from a 96-97 sc300. Can the same thing be done with the 93-95 GS3s using 96-97 GS3 MAFs and ECUs? Will the same pieces be needed or would it be a totally different animal?

So to boil all this down, my questions are:

Are there any piggybacks (not including the AEMs) that would DEFINITLEY (please include your own experience, as well as others) counter the stalling issue?

Does the AEM FIC work exclusively on OBD2 cars (it says so on the AEM website, but I'd just like to be sure, and I'd also like to know why)?

And lastly, has anyone before converted an OBD1 GS3 into an OBD2, or does anyone here have the knowledge on how to go about it properly?

Please let me know guys and thanks in advance.

Old 01-20-09, 08:33 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Bump to the top:

No one has answers to these?
Old 01-20-09, 09:06 AM
blklegend
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
Are there any piggybacks (not including the AEMs) that would DEFINITLEY (please include your own experience, as well as others) counter the stalling issue?

Does the AEM FIC work exclusively on OBD2 cars (it says so on the AEM website, but I'd just like to be sure, and I'd also like to know why)?

And lastly, has anyone before converted an OBD1 GS3 into an OBD2, or does anyone here have the knowledge on how to go about it properly?
1. As far as definite answers its seems to always be a debate on what works and what luck ppl have had with them.

2. AEM FIC, yes works only on OBD2 cars.

3. I am not 100% sure about the conversion, but as far as controlling the engine and such it should be fine, but the trannies are different between those years. 4sp auto versus 5sp auto.
Old 01-20-09, 09:12 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blklegend
1. As far as definite answers its seems to always be a debate on what works and what luck ppl have had with them.

3. I am not 100% sure about the conversion, but as far as controlling the engine and such it should be fine, but the trannies are different between those years. 4sp auto versus 5sp auto.

He may have to acquire the transmission as well inorder to be successful in the conversion. Unless of course he was going 5spd or 6spd which I doubt at the moment.

Wouldn't it be easier to install an aristo?
Old 01-20-09, 09:37 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems that GS300 and the sc300 share the same ECU. So I've been looking into using a 96 AUTO SC300 ecu and hotwire MAF. BUT, since Rob's needs are only 6 lbs.

The ACF NEO and 440s you currently have are more than sufficient to tune your fuel needs. Consider using your MAF as blow through to rid the stalling issues from the BOV. I've only had MAF failures pushing more than 8lbs of positive boost through.
Old 01-20-09, 02:39 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
It seems that GS300 and the sc300 share the same ECU. So I've been looking into using a 96 AUTO SC300 ecu and hotwire MAF. BUT, since Rob's needs are only 6 lbs.

The ACF NEO and 440s you currently have are more than sufficient to tune your fuel needs. Consider using your MAF as blow through to rid the stalling issues from the BOV. I've only had MAF failures pushing more than 8lbs of positive boost through.
Good catch...

OP: If you plan on only running 6lbs of boost, stalling shouldn't be an issue. However, should you begin to experience it, you could always run blow through, which the worst that could happen is you would need to replace your maf as blow through could destroy the MAF. Although a few ppl on clubna-t and including myself can vouch for it.
But honestly, at 6lbs of boost you shouldn't worry. Besides, if anything happens, CALL TODD!...
Old 01-20-09, 04:32 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh sheeett.. I'm having my number changed!
Old 01-20-09, 10:11 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The greddy E-manage ultimate gets rid of stalling and you can delete your MAF. But I prefer AEM, The stalling is because our cars use a Karman Vortex Mass air flow unit, it measures the amount of air going in, but it doesn't calculate the fact that some of that air will exit through the Blow off valve (when you let off the throttle), when you recirculate the air back , the maf doesnt trip out. Reroute the air leaving your BOV between the MAF and the Turbo. Im in the same position as you, finished my turbo kit, besides Electronics, Looking at my options right now.
Old 01-20-09, 10:49 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blklegend

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
He may have to acquire the transmission as well inorder to be successful in the conversion. Unless of course he was going 5spd or 6spd which I doubt at the moment.

Wouldn't it be easier to install an aristo?
yeah i figured the GS3 96 ECUs wouldn't work or would cause difficulty because of the different transmissions. Figured I'd ask anyway. As to the aristo ECU, thats a totally different scenario because its made for the GTE and I doubt that it would work well with an NA-t project...

Haha, why do you have to say 'BUT' in there Todd lol. I just wanna make sure I don't blow the thing up. I'm a boost noob, and its my daily. You know this!

Yeah I was thinking a conservative 6 lbs would help negate some of the negative effects. Also, if the SC3 96 ecu and hotwire MAF would work better, i'd run this blow through, AFC Neo setup for now and do the SC3 ecu and AEM FIC later.

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
Good catch...

OP: If you plan on only running 6lbs of boost, stalling shouldn't be an issue. However, should you begin to experience it, you could always run blow through, which the worst that could happen is you would need to replace your maf as blow through could destroy the MAF. Although a few ppl on clubna-t and including myself can vouch for it.
But honestly, at 6lbs of boost you shouldn't worry. Besides, if anything happens, CALL TODD!...
My thoughts exactly call todd when there is boost trouble!

Oh sheeett.. I'm having my number changed!
please... i'll just drive to your house and bang the door down lol. Speaking of which though, I'd love your help with this project when it gets warmer trying to get in touch with Mark, but he's mad busy

Originally Posted by vindedreal
The greddy E-manage ultimate gets rid of stalling and you can delete your MAF. But I prefer AEM, The stalling is because our cars use a Karman Vortex Mass air flow unit, it measures the amount of air going in, but it doesn't calculate the fact that some of that air will exit through the Blow off valve (when you let off the throttle), when you recirculate the air back , the maf doesnt trip out. Reroute the air leaving your BOV between the MAF and the Turbo. Im in the same position as you, finished my turbo kit, besides Electronics, Looking at my options right now.
Ah ha... you worded that so well even I could understand it lol. Yeah I knew the Karman MAF is the reason it trips out and doesn't understand why the air flow drops, but that rerouting of the air between the MAF and the turbo would help the system understand there isn't a shortage? and is that the very definition of blow through? Sorry if these are fairly retarded questions. I'm just trying to grasp the lingo and mechanical subtelty of boosting
Old 01-21-09, 01:52 PM
Dan@FSM
Driver

I have a 96' trans/ecu/maf if your interested in buying them. Trans needs some attention though. I converted to V160 6 spd and am currently using the stock ecu and MAF, but will eventually go with AEM EMS for my project, hence selling these parts.
Old 01-22-09, 06:24 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

when I mentioned going with the Aristo, I was referring to going through with the FULL swap. However, I understand that you have all the parts necessary, except the mgmt... good luck man... Again, CALL TODD if anything.. lol