Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

fuel pressure regulator for cheap turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-15, 03:09 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fuel pressure regulator for cheap turbo.

I am more familiar with sc/na setups, thinking of building a cheap mid mount turbo setup good for 2-3 pounds of boost. Im thinking the stock ecu will compensate for fuel since boost will be set very low. I was thinking if anything i could use a FPR if wideband says im running lean. Low Boost would make the same amount and maybe more, rather then spend tons of money on headers exhaust intake and some kind of piggyback.
Old 07-23-15, 10:47 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know in the past that people used rising-rate FPRs to compensate, however nowadays with the availability of aftermarket ecus/piggybacks being so accessible I haven't seen them being used as much... It'd be best to ask some of the SC'd guys how they're ECUs handle boost (and at what psi they're running) as normally the ecu is able to compensate up to a certain amount. However, if that's the route you plan on taking then it'd be in your best interests to invest in a piggyback anyway.
Old 07-24-15, 06:22 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I know in the past that people used rising-rate FPRs to compensate, however nowadays with the availability of aftermarket ecus/piggybacks being so accessible I haven't seen them being used as much... It'd be best to ask some of the SC'd guys how they're ECUs handle boost (and at what psi they're running) as normally the ecu is able to compensate up to a certain amount. However, if that's the route you plan on taking then it'd be in your best interests to invest in a piggyback anyway.
I actually have talked to a few sc guys. None of them ever ran low boost. They started around 7-8psi and moved up. Im just trying to squeeze a little extra juice out of the engine for the moment. I was set on a ls swap but im still doing more research on whats the best option. I have heard nothing but bad stuff about using piggybacks with our ecu's so i am trying my best to stay away from them. I know DOHC engines are great for performance and i see alot of potential in the 3uz. I am either going to to go standalone and build up the current motor or swap in the ls. I have been going back and fourth for so long i just need something at the moment to fix my craving. Im just confused how a rising rate fpr would work with vvti

Last edited by gsean400; 07-24-15 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-01-15, 12:32 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post